Quantcast

2010 DHX (4.0) vs Vivid Air

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I hear a lot of generalizations of how there are good air shocks but even the best air shock is not as good as a lower performance coil shock.

I have a DHX but I'm thinking about getting the Vivid Air. This will be for an Uzzi VP that'll get ridden like a DH bike pretty much. Also trying to go light with this build (because I can!) hence the air shock choice.

I understand that air shocks tend to behave differently in general. I've had an air shock before, I have an idea of the difference but I can't explain it very well. But this was a few years ago and things have come a long way.

Any experiences comparing the two?

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
I am in love with my Vivid air after coming off a Roco WC. It is just as supple (IMO) as the Rocco, and I love the fact that I can infinately adjust the spring. If it's not for an all out DH race bike (and even then i would go with the VA) I say definately try the VA out, you won't be dissapopinted.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
running a vivid air on my reign x, afer having a very pimp coil (vector hlr) on it prior. i think the vivid air is at least as good as the vector. it rules on a 6-7" freeride style bike.

Aug 23, 2011
They were on two completly diffrent bikes, DHX on a Shocker and vivid air on a v10c. Really really really liked the vivid air. I didn't have to much time on it but (nor did I do any 4+ min runs) but for the time I did ride it I was really impressed.

v-10dh

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
I have a vivid air on my v10c and it rides great. The adjustability of the air spring is nice. However, a seal blew and it leaked out a bunch of air. RockShox took care of it and they have updated those seals for 2012, so try to get the newer version. I think you will be happy with it

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
i have a vivid air, feels just like a coil and preforms wicked nice, that being said im already on number 2 under warranty. havent had one that long yet either so i am a little concerned with long term durability.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
The vivid air on my v10 is a lot better in every way than the dhx 5 i had on my commencal supreme. Only question i have is what the long term durability will be like

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm interested in a vivid air at some point- but isn't "durability" more of a question of increased maintanence on the air spring for something like this? Is the air spring user-servicable? If it's as easy to rebuild as a fox, I think that's a fair trade-off at this point for an air spring in a dh type application.

Err

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
The durability issues that I've observed are around air sticking in the negative chamber and blowing damping oil out around the rebound know. I've experienced both myself and know others who have had similar issues. That said, when it's working, it's well performing and fairly tunealbe.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
But what other options are there? I would like to try one on my Delerium but this would be for FR and trail riding. I was really looking at the Vivid now CRC has them in stockand I am not sure the Monarch or Fox Rp range will cut the cheese for agressive riding.
Just checked to see if CRC is selling the 2011 or 2012 but not info to confirm. Risky!