Quantcast

2010 Dorado Pro Press Release!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The 2010 Dorado Pro

The Hayes Bicycle Group is pleased to announce the official release of the 2010 Manitou Dorado Pro.
The Dorado Pro features 7050 aluminum legs and utilizes the same premium internals as the Dorado MRD carbon version. With premium durability, the Dorado Pro maintains its World Cup DH race pedigree. However, it’s not a typical DH race fork anymore. With the added strength of the 7050 aluminum legs, it becomes a very capable park, free-ride and big mountain fork. Along with proven TPC+ damping, the fork has plush top-out coupled with a unique hydraulic bottoming ramp-up that makes the fork feel bottomless.
Updates for 2010 include an improved two-chamber, large-volume, low-pressure air spring which simplifies set-up and optimizes fork performance. The air spring pressure is now tuned by using a single valve at the top of the fork eliminating the second valve at the bottom of the leg. The pressure in the two chambers auto-equalizes when a shock pump is connected offering ease of set up by adding and/or bleeding off air from the top. Also, all mount hardware features high grade bolts with deep hex broaches offering an improved tool inter-face, and the brake line guide has been improved for optimum routing.
Spec:

Weight: 6.55lbs

Travel: 180mm/203mm for 26”

175mm for 29”

Chassis: Alloy Legs & Crown

Spring: Dual Air Chamber

Damper: TPC+

Hub: 20mm Hex Lock

The 2010 Dorado Pro was designed and tested in California and North Vancouver and is handmade in our Milwaukee, Wisconsin, facility. The Hayes Bicycle Group will continue to offer a one-year service program which allows riders to return their fork for factory service and inspection at no charge (specific rules apply to factory service). All race support at the HBG race truck will remain free of charge as we continue to support race teams, free riders and privateers. MSRP for the Dorado Pro in 26” is $1,749 and $1,799 for the 29er version.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
So I would just like to say to everyone that was knocking me for saying I bet the new dorado is something close along the lines of my old one.

And LOOOOOOOOOOL@ THE SAME INTERNALS AND DESIGN LMAO
ok so this one has air,big deal
meny of you owe me a beer.

Nice to see free servicing for a year,its gonna probably be more at manitou then on your bike.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
So I would just like to say to everyone that was knocking me for saying I bet the new dorado is something close along the lines of my old one.

Nice to see free servicing for a year,its gonna probably be more at manitou then on your bike.
Relax mate, might help you to get your facts right before you start spraying that kind of crap. It's not the same internals as the 2002-05 Dorado ie your old one, it's the same as the 2009 Dorado that cost like $2500US or whatever it was (it was freaking $4500au!). Completely different fork to the old one. Only things that are actually the same as the original Dorado are the fact that it's inverted and the layout of the damper.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Relax mate, might help you to get your facts right before you start spraying that kind of crap. It's not the same internals as the 2002-05 Dorado ie your old one, it's the same as the 2009 Dorado that cost like $2500US or whatever it was (it was freaking $4500au!). Completely different fork. Only things that are actually the same are the fact that it's inverted and the layout of the damper.

sorry bud,mine had tpc+ damping,wich is the same as this new one,mine had the oversized legs,wich is the same as this one.mine however didn't have air chambers.The only diff.

Wat would of made mine diff from this one,is if I had the M-works SPV,wich was even more garbege then the tpc+

dont care wat enyone says,the fact that it uses technology from 04-05 and your paying over 2000$ is amazing.

oueee air chambers....

have eny of you even tried or owned a dorado ???? didnt think so....

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
sorry bud,mine had tpc+ damping,wich is the same as this new one,mine had the oversized legs,wich is the same as this one.mine however didn't have air chambers.The only diff.

Wat would of made mine diff from this one,is if I had the M-works SPV,wich was even more garbege then the tpc+

dont care wat enyone says,the fact that it uses technology from 04-05 and your paying over 2000$ is amazing.

oueee air chambers....

Bull****.

I owned the original TPC+ Dorado and was very happy with it. I've also spent a lot of time on the new carbon Dorado and can say that it is mind blowing. I've had it apart, just out of curiosity, and the internals use a revised layout but still rely on the TPC+ design. Damn those pesky proven shims eh? :rolleyes:

I've spent time on nearly everything and TPC+ is still king of the hill.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada

oueee air chambers....

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .

oueee air chambers....

ok, let's shed some light on this. what year was your dorado and do you have some detailed pictures. the new dorados have seperate hi/low compression adjusters. does/did yours? TCP+ has been around for a long time but that doesn't mean that it hasn't evolved or changed. there are several other internal features that are different too if you care to read the articles.

i will admit, this press release is kind of lame. they could have done a better job of listing the details of the features.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Time bomb,Im aware they are not EXACLY the same ;)
And that the air chambers probably and must do a huge improvement in FEEL.

The main ishue with mine,had it for 4 months,constant stick,like there was no oil in it.Even had it serviced by manitou distributer here,felt the same.I knew I was done with manitou that day there.And I understand stanchion sizes too,and I fully red the article.

I had a 05,here it is on my bike,if you take a look,it is VERY similar to the new one.

notice hex

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Only problem I ever had with my BB boxxer was this..... ( not a big deal to me wen things work )

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

oueee air chambers....

Everything you just posted is complete and utter garbage. TPC+ is just a damper layout, it doesn't mean the damper will be tuned the same or perform in the same way. It's like saying a Demo 8 is the same as a Norco Team DH because they both use "FSR", and just ignoring every other detail. And yes, I've ridden a Dorado. More than one in fact. Maybe four of them. In fact I also have a modified TPC+ damper in my Boxxer that I have spent countless hours tuning.

So, some differences between the old Dorado and the new one:
1. The entire structure. Stanchions are 36mm instead of 32mm for starters. The very first gen Dorado was 30mm if I recall correctly. The uppers and the crowns are different, the axle clamp assembly is different. All the seals and bushings are obviously different for the simple reason that the stanchions aren't the same size.
2. The damper - despite having the same acronym, it's designed and tuned differently, and it now has hydraulic bottom-out.
3. Separate HSC and LSC adjusters.
4. Air spring instead of coil spring.

Time to shut up now, you clearly have not got a CLUE what you're on about. You obviously don't understand what difference details make, the fact that this is an inverted fork with the same acronym for the damper does not mean it's remotely similar in performance to your fork from five years ago.

Besides, when are you going to get rid of your ROUND WHEELS? That stuff is like 3000 year old technology!

HBGCS

Chimp
Jul 18, 2008
Time bomb,Im aware they are not EXACLY the same ;)
And that the air chambers probably and must do a huge improvement in FEEL.

The main ishue with mine,had it for 4 months,constant stick,like there was no oil in it.Even had it serviced by manitou distributer here,felt the same.I knew I was done with manitou that day there.And I understand stanchion sizes too,and I fully red the article.

I had a 05,here it is on my bike,if you take a look,it is VERY similar to the new one.

notice hex

Looks like you have the NEW V-10 as well!

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
totally do have the new v10,this ones wheel base is just longer then the new one ;)

if you can read a geo chart ;)

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Looks like you have the NEW V-10 as well!
The new V10 is the same anyway, didn't you see it has VPP too? AND a shock? AND two wheels? Ok sure so they changed all the little details like how it's constructed, the shock rate, and the geometry, but it's still exactly the same!

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
The new V10 is the same anyway, didn't you see it has VPP too? AND a shock? AND two wheels? Ok sure so they changed all the little details like how it's constructed, the shock rate, and the geometry, but it's still exactly the same!
nice to see socket on board :thumb:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
I am aware they are not the same,Ive mentionned that,thanks enyway.

At the end of the day you can try as hard as you want.It wont change my mind or feeling about manitou.And meny others feel the same as me.
Almost everyone's opinion is based on the circa 2004(?) Dorado. Very few riders actually have time on the new Dorados, and the fork has been improved in countless ways. If you're interested in learning more, I'll let a few recent reviews by third-parties do the talking:

http://www.sicklines.com/issue1/ (page 54)
http://www.whistlermountainbike.com/wmb/index.php?content=100809-manitou-dorado
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Manitou-Dorado--Review-2009.html

Granted, those reviews are based on the 2009 Dorado, and the 2010 models are most assuredly improved. It truly is a remarkable fork, and it's priced within a few hundred of the comparable products by their top competitors.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Almost everyone's opinion is based on the circa 2004(?) Dorado. Very few riders actually have time on the new Dorados, and the fork has been improved in countless ways. If you're interested in learning more, I'll let a few recent reviews by third-parties do the talking:

http://www.sicklines.com/issue1/ (page 54)
http://www.whistlermountainbike.com/wmb/index.php?content=100809-manitou-dorado
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Manitou-Dorado--Review-2009.html

Granted, those reviews are based on the 2009 Dorado, and the 2010 models are most assuredly improved. It truly is a remarkable fork, and it's priced within a few hundred of the comparable products by their top competitors.
See,thats the kind of reply that will get me to be positive and not sink down to meny others levels.

Thank you,I have too much time and this will be an interesting read.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
probably the best thread I've read on the monkey for months. If only kidwoo had gotten here sooner.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have been a manitou hater for years but I really like what they did with the Dorado. I think it will be a success for them.

I might even buy one and leave the Boxxer after 7 years of positive improvments.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
While my experiences with Manitou have been less then positive for the most part, you can't help but think they might have learned a bunch and are now ready to produce some competitive products. The Stroker Ace brakes I tried out were great, much better then previous Hayes products. So why can't Manitou make that positive evolution now that they are under the Hayes umbrella?

I'd hold out and see how they do before passing judgement. Of course, thats not the Ridemonkey way, and everything yo need to know about everything on the planet can be understood purely by using numbers on paper, so....

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
:offtopic: Certain posts in this thread are totally cringe worthy.

Also off topic I think that is the only Jamis I've seen and and said to myself "ok, that looks pretty dialed". Nice work :thumb:

Back on topic. I've only owed two manitou forks, both were single crown trail type and this was a few years ago. Both broke in pretty lame circumstances (chassis) but I was always impressed at just how nice TPC+ (old) worked. They were just butter (this after coming off original 100mm Z1 bombers) and was impressed. That they broke stopped me from going back.

Whilst I'm not in the market for a new DH fork I'm sure interested in this new fork and look forward to reading intelligent reviews on hear and elsewhere.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
LOL, I thought this guy was a troll at first but then I noticed his rasta king headset..........

.....and it all made sense.

He's probably just blazed out've his mind--'cause no sober person would talk like this:

oueee air chambers....

I mean c'mon....... :confused:

[Edit]
P-spec, mail me some of that sh!t. Clearly, you're smokin' something amazinggg up there in Quebec, eh?

Last edited:

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
We have a winner.
You are 1 smart guy.

quitting is hard wen its a daily thing,it becomes a need with time,but you might know that ;) who knows.And yes boom **** up here you know it ;)

Back onto topic.I would very much like to try one,before I could really give my 2 cents.

I would also like to state,people who flamed me owned only 2 xc manitou products ?? thanks,but no thanks.

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
This is my 2nd year on the dorado, i absolutely love it. I am currently riding the 2010 Dorado and it feels exactly like my 2009 carbon dorado. I came off of a fox 40, i never thought id use a different fork... until i did some testing on a prototype 2009 carbon dorado. It was game over for all other forks. I was upset i had to put my fox 40 back on until i got my personally fork a few weeks later. My teammate Jason Memmelaar even said "easily 5 seconds off" his race time. The dorado soaks up all the small stutter bumps and just flows thru.

If this product was not outstanding i would have sent my Teams proposal to other suspension companies for 2010. There was no thought in that. HBG is where its at! Lots of you people want to hate on "manipoo" but thats ok, people only hate when they are jealous. Meanin Manitou made a DOPE fork and you guys dont want to agree with it.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
This is my 2nd year on the dorado, i absolutely love it. I am currently riding the 2010 Dorado and it feels exactly like my 2009 carbon dorado. I came off of a fox 40, i never thought id use a different fork... until i did some testing on a prototype 2009 carbon dorado. It was game over for all other forks. I was upset i had to put my fox 40 back on until i got my personally fork a few weeks later. My teammate Jason Memmelaar even said "easily 5 seconds off" his race time. The dorado soaks up all the small stutter bumps and just flows thru.

If this product was not outstanding i would have sent my Teams proposal to other suspension companies for 2010. There was no thought in that. HBG is where its at! Lots of you people want to hate on "manipoo" but thats ok, people only hate when they are jealous. Meanin Manitou made a DOPE fork and you guys dont want to agree with it.
this is nice to hear.Someone with one and has seat time with one.

I want to agree with it,its hard wen you payed too much for something that didn't simply work.And I think meny can speak and feel the same.

However,this is 2010,little to no online vendors have them up for sale or a price.The full alu one interests me more after seeing how pleased you seem.

How has your maintenance been ??? seal wise and everything ???

Do the 35mm help reduce previous flex ??

thank you.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
this is nice to hear.Someone with one and has seat time with one.

I want to agree with it,its hard wen you payed too much for something that didn't simply work.And I think meny can speak and feel the same.

However,this is 2010,little to no online vendors have them up for sale or a price.The full alu one interests me more after seeing how pleased you seem.

How has your maintenance been ??? seal wise and everything ???

Do the 35mm help reduce previous flex ??

thank you.
well my 2009 dorado was still in "prototype" stages you could say so i was getting new stuff in that thing here and there. The last time my 2009 carbon was "in for service" which was to get the "new at the time" air valve and that was in July right before National Champs. since than it has not been serviced. i MIGHT send it in when i get home from Cali which will be early May, to get the NEW updated 2010 air system installed. Ive only had 1 strong month on the 2010 Alum dorado, which has been riden about 5 days a week and raced 2 times already. still like brand new, no need for service.

and as for the 36mm legs to reduce flex?? im not sure, never in my life have i ridden the old dorado, that was before my time.

Last edited: