Quantcast

2010 Float 36 not getting full travel

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My 2010 Float 36 isn't getting full travel. I opened it up to adjust for 160mm travel, and it just stops at ~140mm. It was suggested that I pull it apart again to remeasure the oil levels, which I replaced last night, but didn't solve the problem. I never opened the compression side, so this ia happening on the air leg. Help please.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There is no way to add neg air. I'm assuming then that rhis is probably air blow by into the lower leg?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
No float fork made before 2012 ever got full travel with any kind of real (rideable) air pressure.

True story.

I've owned like 7 of the damn things.
Basically this. I cut down the air piston shaft on a a few customers' forks to increase the volume a bit (having a lathe in a bike shop was awesome) but that's about the only thing I can think of to fix it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i'll take 80% of travel with proper damping over 100% travel with damping that's as reliable as a crack dealer
fo realz

You know what's weird though? How shltty my boxxer was coupled with how completely freakin awesome the two totems I've owned have been.

But yeah.....I've had a bunch of fox air forks that work great. They just never get that last 3/4 to half inch of squishy. The ramp up to that weird pressure lock is much more preferable to a truly bottoming fork any day of the week.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
No float fork made before 2012 ever got full travel with any kind of real (rideable) air pressure.

True story.

I've owned like 7 of the damn things.
It was fine from the time I got it back from Push, until I opened it up.

Take the 20mm black spacer under the air piston out.
Ya think I didn't already take it out as part of upping the travel?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So beyond Kevin and Mike complaining about Fox, any suggestions that don't involve machine work?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
It was fine from the time I got it back from Push, until I opened it up.

Ya think I didn't already take it out as part of upping the travel?
Call push and tell them?

Probably a bad o-ring that is bleeding to much or to little air into the +/- chamber

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have a 2012 fox 32 150 on my bike, and to be honest, I still run it because of the way it feels at the end of its travel. It does not even use the last inch of travel.........ever. But it ramps up awesome, and I can't smack the goat urine out of anything on the trail and it will keep on going. Flexing and dancing around, but motoring on none the less.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I have a 2012 float 36 RLC that also would never get full travel, even at air pressures well below the prescribed pressure for my weight. Had PUSH rebuild it and install a high volume piston kit which has solved the issue, although it still ramps up pretty hard at the very end.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
On point; I never felt like I was getting full travel out of my 36 OR 40. I pulled the top cap on my 40 tonight and found out the previous owner sold it to me set at 7.5".

I'll change it when it's time to do an oil change.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
On point; I never felt like I was getting full travel out of my 36 OR 40. I pulled the top cap on my 40 tonight and found out the previous owner sold it to me set at 7.5".

I'll change it when it's time to do an oil change.
Bring the socket with you tomorrow.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Any suggestions on how to open the compression up a bit to get more out of the travel?

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
I had a 36 float that lost travel. Even with no air in the spring it would lock out at about 100mm into its travel.

It turned out that the damper cartridge was locking up at that point as oil had got past the bladder and would not let the bladder compress fully.

When I was in there fixing that I also reduced the bottom out protect in the cartridge which end helped the fork to use more of its travel.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hmm... I really don't want to rebuild the damper. It might be time to send it back to Push.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Did any oil get into the spring cartridge? My Revelation has a funny habit of sucking up lube oil into the negative air chamber and reducing travel.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
It's not damping.

Fox made the air spring chambers too short. You could literally pull out the damper and chuck it aside and you still would not get full travel. It's the air spring.

Trust me on this.
Time to drill some speed holes!

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's not damping.

Fox made the air spring chambers too short. You could literally pull out the damper and chuck it aside and you still would not get full travel. It's the air spring.

Trust me on this.
This.