Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I am 170#s running a medium Ti spring.

4 clicks pre-load
5 clicks HSC
2 clicks LSC
4 clicks Rebound
~35% sag

All settings are from full open. The fork has minimal brake dive, uses full travel on the big and high speed hits and picks up the smaller chatter better than my Boxxer WC did. Nice and plush:thumb:
hmmmm......this will be interesting. You're 20 to 25 pounds lighter then me, but your hardly running any preload, and very little compression.
Anybody every adjust the internal Bottom out adjustment on the 40........is it easy or a pain???

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
hmmmm......this will be interesting. You're 20 to 25 pounds lighter then me, but your hardly running any preload, and very little compression.
Anybody every adjust the internal Bottom out adjustment on the 40........is it easy or a pain???
I could maybe go down to the light spring but this feels pretty good to me. If I went to a lighter spring I would end up running more pre-load and more compression but end up in a setting that feels like the one I have now:D So no point for me to change springs, I guess I am on the border as far as weight goes for either spring but Fox recommended the medium for me and it seems to work. I personally have never messed with the bottom out so I can't help you with that. Chances are I will not ever mess with it either......unless I gain a ton of weight this winter and start bottoming out like crazy:D

I have noticed the spring knocking around a bit when in the parking lot. This is probably due to the fact that I am running so little pre-load. When I am riding and settled into the sag I have no issues at all. I am happy with the amount of sag I am running now so I don't think I will be changing my pre-load adjustment at all. It might be beneficial to throw a little lube on the spring though.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
yellow, green, blue, purple and then black from stiffest to softest.
I'm running an orange that is stiffer than the yellow.

I'm 250, running preload all in, LSC almost all in, HSC about half in, rebound pretty fast. It's stiff for me (15% sag), and it rides kinda harsh over the roughest chatter, but I couldn't ask for anything more when it gets steep, tech and GNARBAR. It actually runs real good and I love the way it feels.

Buy a 40!

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
really, I didn't know they make an orange. Have you tried a yellow with the '09 or '10 cartridge fully closed? I am 190lbs and run a blue spring with both LSC and HSC fully closed in a 2010 cartridge and it is a pretty firm ride.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
really, I didn't know they make an orange. Have you tried a yellow with the '09 or '10 cartridge fully closed? I am 190lbs and run a blue spring with both LSC and HSC fully closed in a 2010 cartridge and it is a pretty firm ride.
Yeah, and I'm pretty sure they also make a red that is stiffer than the orange. I had a customer a couple years ago who was a monster and his fork had a red spring in it IIRC.

I haven't played around with this new 2010 much yet. Still figuring out the bike as a whole, but I'll definitely try thowing the yellow back in and upping the compression a little more. Some more small bump compliance wouldn't hurt.