Quantcast

2010 Marzocchi 55 TST2 Air Should I?

subycar

Chimp
Dec 31, 2009
Alright guys need some opinions. I am returning a 08 55R that the rebound is blown on. When I called to warranty it I was given the option of trading it in for a 2010 55TST2. The 2010 would not be free basically I would be getting it for cost. I picked up a 07 Fox 36 Float R about 2 weeks ago from a local guy. I like the 36 however I have had some little issues with it being used. Like the air value went out which was not a big deal just a pain in the arse. The allen hole striped out on the axle. My bike is 90% new which includes the frame. I can always just let Marz fix the rebound which would cost me nothing and keep it as a back up. I would still have to get the Fox 36 a refresh. You know what they say about opinions everyone has one so give it to me.

weatherm

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
Do the fox... I blew up my '08 tst also... so get teh new one sell it and use that cash to do the refresh on the fox

subycar

Chimp
Dec 31, 2009
Yeah just got off the phone with Kevin at Suspension Experts in A ville. He said the same thing that TST is not all that it could be. After talking with him he can re-valve my 36 to better suit my riding and do a fresh rebuild on it. :dance:

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Fox. I have had no luck with tst forks. Had an all mountain 1 sl that went back for rebuild 6 TIMES in a year. It got so bad that Marzo gave me, FOR FREE, a 2008 55 ETA. After that went back for the second time in 2 months, I bought a van RC2 and sold both of the marzo's.

badphish

Monkey
Feb 28, 2008
Fox. I have had no luck with tst forks. Had an all mountain 1 sl that went back for rebuild 6 TIMES in a year. It got so bad that Marzo gave me, FOR FREE, a 2008 55 ETA. After that went back for the second time in 2 months, I bought a van RC2 and sold both of the marzo's.
Yeah, but you're an anomaly. You break everything. I bet your keyboard is now broken after that post.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
If you keep the marzocchi you should convert it to an rc2 instead of tst. I did that to mine and love it.

subycar

Chimp
Dec 31, 2009
If you keep the marzocchi you should convert it to an rc2 instead of tst. I did that to mine and love it.
I talked to Marz about that but was told it would cost between $300-$350 to up grade it. Kevin at Suspension Experts told me he could rebuild my 36 with bushings, seals and oil. He would even re valve it for my weight and riding style for way less.

hotrodmarlin

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
Marzocchi ripped a lot of people off with their '08 55's. After mine went back 3 times I basically sold it for nothing and it failed again the first week the guy had it. Marzocchi customer service denied repeatedly that there was any problem with the 55's. They haven't taken responsibility for selling a defective product. :mad:
There should be a class action lawsuit filed against them for that fork.

subycar

Chimp
Dec 31, 2009
I have talked to all kinds of people in the bike industry about this problem and they all say the same thing. From Mike at my LBS to Kevin at suspension experts they all say when Marz stopped making the forks in Italy they went downhill. I thought about buying an older pre 2008 66 but that might be too much for the Preston.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I had the air 888. Buddies got to watch me do one run at Massanutten (3 minutes or so) and it wound down to a 6 inch setting. Next run, it wound down to the 7 inch setting, but locked out to 3 inches of travel. Next run, would down to 6 inches of travel and blew through all of it.

Sent it back, it came back to me "Pro Setup" they said. See above for next result. Sent back in, got a DH40. Done.

trainboy17

Chimp
Apr 13, 2009
Winston Salem
my 08' had major hydrolock issues. i sent it in, they drilled some holes (looked like some bs work to me), but now it is working alright. all my oil levels have been changed and i cant get them back to my riding weight but thas no biggie. if i were you, go with the fox