Quantcast

2010 NFL Football Thread

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
he said that he'll have to talk it over with his coaches to see if he can still play in the NFL...im sure i know which way the conversation will do.
he can pull a Ricky Williams and just abandon his team and owe a sh!t load of money.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Watching Cutler play was a little confusing. Wasn't sure if it was a real game or a Jackass episode.
He's going to end up shell-shocked like David Carr. Julius Peppers has been a beast and all, but I think Id rather have spent that $90 mil on competent lineman or two so the prized QB doesnt end up in a body bag.

On the issue of the concussions and the big hits, anyone who has ever played knows you are going to hit people and get hit sometimes with your head. Just by virtue of head's position on the body, any time you're diving to make a tackle, you're going to be "leading with the helmet" unless you're a ninja turtle and can sink your head back into your shoulder pads. It's a completely bogus and arbitrary thing to try and enforce. Whose fault is it if you're going to sack the QB and he ducks for cover and you hit him in the head?
Also, where is all the outrage for concussions in boxing and MMA? The whole point in those sports is to try and knock the opponent completely unconscious. Anyone who signs up to play football knows that they're going to get their bell rung here and there. Trying to blow up a WR to get him to drop the ball is part of the game, not a penalty. Im all for protecting defenseless QBs after they've thrown the ball, or WRs who arent in the process of making a catch, but honestly, the rest is just football. It's a game for brutes.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
He's going to end up shell-shocked like David Carr. Julius Peppers has been a beast and all, but I think Id rather have spent that $90 mil on competent lineman or two so the prized QB doesnt end up in a body bag.
they spent all that money on him before they brought Martz and his offensive style in.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
they spent all that money on him before they brought Martz and his offensive style in.
Which was a stupid hire from the beginning considering the Bears personnel. Martz's system is contingent on the QB being able to take 5-7 step drops and force the ball downfield (fine for Cutler) but when you have an OL cobbled together from 7th round picks and assorted aging journeyman, it's a stupid system to try and run. Also consider the size of the Bears WRs, Hester and Knox are both under 6ft... not big targets. And they have a good pass catching TE in Olsen, but that position is used mainly as a blocker under Martz... so what you have is a team built to run a quick, west coast scheme trying to execute an air-coryell variant and these are the results. FML.

BTW, I went to the game Sunday. Had a great time despite the loss.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Which was a stupid hire from the beginning considering the Bears personnel. Martz's system is contingent on the QB being able to take 5-7 step drops and force the ball downfield (fine for Cutler) but when you have an OL cobbled together from 7th round picks and assorted aging journeyman, it's a stupid system to try and run. Also consider the size of the Bears WRs, Hester and Knox are both under 6ft... not big targets. And they have a good pass catching TE in Olsen, but that position is used mainly as a blocker under Martz... so what you have is a team built to run a quick, west coast scheme trying to execute an air-coryell variant and these are the results. FML.

BTW, I went to the game Sunday. Had a great time despite the loss.
qft.
their o-line looks totally lost out there with the exception of old-man Kruetz.
their WR line is a joke really. they bring in a big name QB but he has no one to reliably throw to
and it of course is another year of a D with injuries up the ass

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
On the issue of the concussions and the big hits, anyone who has ever played knows you are going to hit people and get hit sometimes with your head. Just by virtue of head's position on the body, any time you're diving to make a tackle, you're going to be "leading with the helmet" unless you're a ninja turtle and can sink your head back into your shoulder pads. It's a completely bogus and arbitrary thing to try and enforce. Whose fault is it if you're going to sack the QB and he ducks for cover and you hit him in the head?
Also, where is all the outrage for concussions in boxing and MMA? The whole point in those sports is to try and knock the opponent completely unconscious. Anyone who signs up to play football knows that they're going to get their bell rung here and there. Trying to blow up a WR to get him to drop the ball is part of the game, not a penalty. Im all for protecting defenseless QBs after they've thrown the ball, or WRs who arent in the process of making a catch, but honestly, the rest is just football. It's a game for brutes.
Exactly. I'm surprised at some of the "outrage" on media that football is a violent sport. Really? How is it hockey, which I consider to be more violent, doesn't have this issue? It's football. Rugby is as violent. It's based on kill the man with the ball. Is it really concern with player safety or concern with protecting a multi milliondoolar owner investment?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
good god....how deep is oakland getting in the broncos ass....52-14 in the third....

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
- So the Seacocks could probably look worse in a win...but I wouldn't really wish for that...ugh what an ugly pile of crap. At least Mare proved he could hit field goals from 21, 31, & 41 yards back-to-back-to-back because of our blockhead 3rd string tight end that can't not hold...Yes, that was the highlight of the game for me...
- The Raiders put up over 300 yards rushing and pin 59 on the McDaniel led Broncs...wtf?
- The Rams choke
- The Niners choke
- Seattle lookin' good for the NFC West crown...
- Favre's ankle not looking too hot...neither is Minny's record.
- Philly...HAHAHA! Who's your starter next week Reid? "Michael." Thanks Crime Dog McGruff...How about a defense that can stop Kenny Britt...Wait....who?
- Cleveland Steamer in effect for NO...4 picks for Brees...and a D-lineman with 2 int-returns for TDs....wow...
- Atlanta's Roddy White still doesn't know the Cincy DB's names because they never got close enough to him for Roddy to read their jersey's...
- KC...Cassel...Dwayne Bowe...Thomas Jones...back to their winning ways.
- SD is cooked. Norv looks more defeated than normal...NE needs to get a spark on the offensive side of the ball and not rely on opponents not paying attention to LIVE FOOTBALLS LYING ON THE TURF!!! Just sayin'...
- Buffalo found a way to lose that had nothing to do with Fitzpatrick this time. Incredible.
- Pitt ekes out a win because of a really shortsighted rule with instant replay...yaay, let's hear it for the league office...wooooo...

Finally, two words: Jay Cutler

His press conference clip they showed on SNF was priceless... I'm paraphrasing but it was something like "Well, I made a couple mistakes and that was part of the reason we lost."
Uhh....no sh*twad, you threw 4 picks to ONE GUY! He was your leading receiver. You were the entire reason your team lost. Period.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
SF to start Troy Smith against Denver in London...

Yes...it has gotten that bad. Two former #1 overall picks (Alex Smith - $49.5 million, David Carr - $35 million -- Original contracts) at QB on the roster and they resort to a 5th rounder that lost to the Seacocks in his first start...

Poetic, no?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
SF to start Troy Smith against Denver in London...

Yes...it has gotten that bad. Two former #1 overall picks (Alex Smith - $49.5 million, David Carr - $35 million -- Original contracts) at QB on the roster and they resort to a 5th rounder that lost to the Seacocks in his first start...

Poetic, no?
Have you ever seen David Carr play???

No surprise to me.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA

So Moss says he misses the Pats. Today the Vikes put him on waivers. So if he clears waivers he would be guaranteed his money from MN and could come back to the Patriots tomorrow for minimum wage. Oh and the Pats still have the 3rd round pick they got from MN when they traded him. But is he a cancer?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hoepfully xmas comes early for us Bears fans!
Various league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins, Chicago Bears, St. Louis Rams, Miami Dolphins, Oakland Raiders, Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks, New York Jets and even the Patriots are among the teams possibly interested in claiming Moss.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5752939

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Rofl at the Chargers for having both the best ranked defense and offense, and still being 3-5.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
^ That's funny. Shanahan pulls McNabb at the end of the game saying he's not in shape, yet they workout Jamarcus Russell? LOL

That said, I'd like to see Russell get another chance simply because it'll make for interesting news.