Quantcast

2010 specialized !

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
what are the real numbers for the 2010 demo? I friend off mine claims he knows sam hill rides his bike at a 62º head angle... I doubt specialized would sell a bike with that geometry... at least not till 2013 or so (since during time bikes just seem to get slacker and slacker)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what are the real numbers for the 2010 demo? I friend off mine claims he knows sam hill rides his bike at a 62º head angle... I doubt specialized would sell a bike with that geometry... at least not till 2013 or so (since during time bikes just seem to get slacker and slacker)
there are such things as custom bikes ya know

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
glad to see they dropped the dual-crown fork on the Enduro. It might become a valid contender to replace my old Enduro now... still I'm not quite taken by the new looks.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The new Enduro S Works carbon is SICK. Jacy was building up Brendan's with a hammerschmidt at Bromont last week.

The new Demo does not have the 150mm rear end like the team bikes, fyi.

CountryBoy

Monkey
Nov 10, 2008
Reno, NV
Does the new Demo at least have a thru axle? I saw one of the new ones at N* in the old paint job, but I couldn't tell if it had the thru.

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The new Enduro S Works carbon is SICK. Jacy was building up Brendan's with a hammerschmidt at Bromont last week.
It is sexy, but I'm a bit annoyed they went with that proprietary shock mount like on the SX. Good time to get a deal on the 08/09...

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
New Demo is still 135, so still offset rear wheel.

BB is super low, pretty sure i measured it as 13.75" with 2.3" chunders.

Frame only IS usually available from Specialized, but i'd expect pricing in the $2000-2500 range.

Personally i can't wait.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
quick release drop outs gone for a thru axle? can't tell..
also... same size shock?
The 'new' ones that i have seen (and i've seen a few up close) are all 135 regular dropouts.

Sam Hill has a 150mm thru axle back end, but not the production bikes. So it looks like another year of Sam riding one bike to get the fanboys lusting, and regular folks getting a watered down version, just like the Iron Horses.

Shock is still 8.75*2.75 (or 2.8 if you prefer).

I am going to try and steal a ride on one tomorrow... Has the new Dorados, and i wish i had an I phone with that nifty Angle App.

I don't know what more i could ask of my Demo right now. It sits at 7.7" of travel, the new one runs 8" on the nose. .3" of extra cush = 7.6mm. Not sure what good that will do me. Lower BB would be OK with me though, and i dig the racing paint job.

I did see Curtis Keene on an SX with Boxxers the other day, and i have always thought that SBC should head in that direction for the DH bikes. I guess we'll see in Canberra.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'll stick with my 08 demo untill they raise the bb of the 2013 model back to 14.5. I hit the pedals enough as it is. Where I ride you do need to pedal.
Nothing on that new Demo (frame) stands out as an improvement to me.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
The 'new' ones that i have seen (and i've seen a few up close) are all 135 regular dropouts.

Sam Hill has a 150mm thru axle back end, but not the production bikes. So it looks like another year of Sam riding one bike to get the fanboys lusting, and regular folks getting a watered down version, just like the Iron Horses.

Shock is still 8.75*2.75 (or 2.8 if you prefer).

I am going to try and steal a ride on one tomorrow... Has the new Dorados, and i wish i had an I phone with that nifty Angle App.

I don't know what more i could ask of my Demo right now. It sits at 7.7" of travel, the new one runs 8" on the nose. .3" of extra cush = 7.6mm. Not sure what good that will do me. Lower BB would be OK with me though, and i dig the racing paint job.

I did see Curtis Keene on an SX with Boxxers the other day, and i have always thought that SBC should head in that direction for the DH bikes. I guess we'll see in Canberra.
strange they didn't go to a 150mm rear end. How many bikes have standard 135mm rear ends? not many. last bike i rode w/ that was a GT Lobo. I was hoping they would bump the shock up to a 9.5x3 as well.

dap

Chimp
Jul 25, 2006
Central, NY
strange they didn't go to a 150mm rear end. How many bikes have standard 135mm rear ends? not many. last bike i rode w/ that was a GT Lobo. I was hoping they would bump the shock up to a 9.5x3 as well.
Their Demo9 was 9.5x3 and they switched this later on down the road... never had an 8 so I can't comment on the difference.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'll stick with my 08 demo untill they raise the bb of the 2013 model back to 14.5. I hit the pedals enough as it is. Where I ride you do need to pedal.
The Demos Sam and Brendan are riding have less travel so it's kind of a wash as far as the BB height goes. Theirs are a little lower, but not a huge difference.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Wow, they managed to make the Enduro even uglier. The current ones ride really nice but...

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
there are such things as custom bikes ya know
Specialized does not do custom bikes for anyone not even the pro road teams the sponsor. Everyone rides stock frames. Unless the shocks are shorter E2E to slacken the frames out. My brother worked there and have some friends that still work for them.
VM

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Specialized does not do custom bikes for anyone not even the pro road teams the sponsor. Everyone rides stock frames. Unless the shocks are shorter E2E to slacken the frames out. My brother worked there and have some friends that still work for them.
VM
They do indeed make customs frames for team riders. They do not ride stock frames. I guarantee it.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
VM
So how do you account for the 150mm back end sam hill has been running?

Not production, never likely to be.

Edit: One of the stories i got while touring Morgan Hill (jeezus like i'm someone special, or something) was about making Mario Cipollini custom frames (and even custom stems) to put him in his happy position. Or making Tom Boonen bikes with extra strength chainstays.

Specialized are probably the company MOST able to make custom bikes viable for sponsored riders.

Last edited:

klamsi

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
Any news when the bikes will be available and the price for them?

a 83BB would be nice and of course a thru axle, don´t know if a 150mm back end is necessary!?

Fully geometry informations?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Just to be clear, Sam and Brendan's bikes will be 2010 model year bikes. The geometry, sizing etc will be exactly like those guys are riding now, besides the 150mm rear ends which will not be featured on the production bikes.

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Just to be clear, Sam and Brendan's bikes will be 2010 model year bikes. The geometry, sizing etc will be exactly like those guys are riding now, besides the 150mm rear ends which will not be featured on the production bikes.
Can you tell us why they won't be going 150mm please?

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Probably because SBC have computer modeled the stresses, and unless you are either of those two, you don't need a 150.

I remember seeing them use dataloggers in the bike park (Whistler) on pro riders (and freeriders) and read that they test the bikes design to take 10 years of daily abuse. 10 years worth of pro rider level abuse 5 days a week in the park? I feel like i am pounding on my bike, and i don't manage many weeks of 4+ days.
Seems like when you are going to that level of time and detail, forgetting to check whether a 150 back end is necessary is probably not on the cards.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore

I remember reading somewhere that they couldn't find a benefit to run a 150mm rear-end vs a 135mm rear-end(no added stiffness). So rather than add weight, they decided to not change the design. Probably has something to do with the the demo having the funky offset/dish for rear wheels, probably makes the rear wheel just as stiff as a 150mm rear end..

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I'd be willing to bet that's because it is one of, if not THE stiffest frames available. The difference in stiffness between the 135mm Demo and a 150mm Sunday is astounding. Just because Sam's bike has a 150mm rear doesn't make it any better. If a World Champion wants to use 150 spacing, probably only due to his comfort factor, you just smile, nod your head, and make it happen.

You could argue that for the hamfisted mechanic, the chainline setup of a dedicated 83mm/150mm would be much easier. However, that is the only advantage. The current setup allows for dishless wheels, more rear hub options, the ability to run either a solid 10mm axle or a QR (mind you this 135mm qr setup is stiffer then many 150mm setups).

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So what happens with the Demo 7? I'm thinking that it will probably be gone. As it was, the Demo 8 and 7 were both essentially DH race sleds with alot of overlap.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
VM

Is that humor? Are you trying to be funny? Perhaps you come from a different galaxy?Did you brother and his friends worked for the janitorial department at Specialized? I mean WTF ??

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
The new enduro's are off the hook. The bike rides lower and slacker than the 08/09's but still climbs just as well. The rear end of the bike is so stiff that I could feel the wheels as the softest link in the system almost immediately. The fork is stiff, plush, and has a tapered steer tube with a gnarly insert instead of a star nut. I've been hammering on mine for a long time now and it's taken a beating like a champ. The pivots are still super solid and smooth and don't have any play.