Quantcast

2010 US OPEN Registration now live

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Does anyone have any helmet cam footage and or pics of the 2009 course? I am thinking about making the trip this year and would love some feedback on what type of course Diablo puts together. I have ridden there several times so know the mountain pretty well. What runs did they link to make the course?

For those of you who raced it, do you have any comments, feedback, opinions? For those in the know, what are the goals for the course for this season? Will it run a similar line? Or is it just too early to really know anything....

Thanks in advance.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
thanks bfrich. i had seen that video. the reason I asked for moar info is because the video above, while very nicely done, makes the track "appear" less technical/steep than one would assume for the Open, which is why I was wondering if anybody else has any insight... For some reason, film always flattens terrain and makes you go slower...

spleen123

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
The course is pretty flat. Only one steep section. only on difficult section. Its easy to ride.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
here is my qualifying run at the open.

Stoked to be racing Pro this year, its gonna be burly!!

Last edited:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Registered, locked, and loaded.

:D

The course is pretty fun with the main tech. section starting after the rocky straight in the woods after the first ski slope crossing near the top. There is a tight left hander into a brief uphill then an off-camber triple/quad humped section (Gee binned it here last year as did Needles and Bryn a few years ago) that leads into the main rock garden. I was walking the course 2 years ago and a well known WC guy was standing at the bottom of the rock garden with his teammate... it was this riders first time there so I asked him what he thought as he looked up and he said "Jesus..." Worse than it looks from below really. The course smooths out toward the bottom with large sweepers and berms.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
what was the price last year?? did it go up again?
I think the price went up $20 from last year, but it now includes practice on Thursday. So I guess for that you get an extra day of riding which isn't bad. However you need to take an extra day off of work and get lodging for another night... Diablo will definitely make more money this way but it should be a good weekend regardless!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I think the price went up $20 from last year, but it now includes practice on Thursday. So I guess for that you get an extra day of riding which isn't bad. However you need to take an extra day off of work and get lodging for another night... Diablo will definitely make more money this way but it should be a good weekend regardless!
And an extra roll of sprts tape for the blisters on your palms.:thumb:

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Personally this is my favorite race course. I think it has a good mix of everything and is generally just SUPER fun to ride. When i was able to just ride the mountain i found myself wishing the course was open so i could shred it for fun! Cant wait for the US Open, definitely my favorite race of the season.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I just noticed that they reduced the qualified number of riders. Top 50 for pro. Down 10 riders from 60.

Last edited:

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
someone forgot to mention how stacked the AM class is.......

two of the top three yearly topics were mentioned so I thought I'd kick off # 3.....

J

Last edited: