Quantcast

2011 Demo question?

brian field

Monkey
Feb 5, 2007
Hello, are the shocks on demo 2011 ( van RC and RC4) specially tuned for the bike, or they are the same as other off the shelf fox shox?
What about vivid, cane creek,, do they need some special tune?

CitizenLee

Chimp
Oct 27, 2010
Rainy Scotland
From their site:

Demo 8 I:
Custom Fox Van RC, coil over w/piggy back, compression and rebound adj., 9.5x3", XS: 300, S:350, M:400, L:450

Demo 8 II:
Fox DHX RC4, coil over w/piggy back, rebound and High/Low speed compression and bottom-out control adj., 9.5x3", XS: 300, S:350, M:400, L:450

I expect the shock will be custom tuned for the Demo 8 II though, even if it's not mentioned.

I miss my Demo :)

TomBigmac

Chimp
May 31, 2009
Did I read that in the testing for the new Devinci that Fox used the tune that they came up with as stock for 2011?

Waiting for my 2011 Demo as well! Wonder how easy it will be to fit other shocks with the new eliptical shock mount

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Last I heard , NO they dont come with fully custom valved rear shock. In the past , I know they've made few tweaks to stock shocks to compliment their design a bit better but not fully tuned shock.

I may be wrong but anyways, if I do, well they are doing a mediocre job t it 'cause every Demo's I've tried including the 2011, certainly didnt feel like they had a custom valved shock on it. Beside,Im pretty sure if they ever come up with a custom VALVED shock, one would think it will be a Vivid since Sam his doing most testing and development for them.

This , is one of the weakest point with their bikes IMO. Considering Specialized is a mega coorporation you'd hope they would be on par with other smaller companies in that department but no.The FSR design is SOOOO active if would greatly benefit from having better/smarter suspensions IMO

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Did I read that in the testing for the new Devinci that Fox used the tune that they came up with as stock for 2011?

Waiting for my 2011 Demo as well! Wonder how easy it will be to fit other shocks with the new eliptical shock mount
I think the Demo only fits the shock it comes w/ (Fox). There is a seperate yoke for RS. I don't know about others, but w/ how the shock mounts it may need to be specific for each mfg.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The shock is a stock size/shape. It may have custom tunes. However, each shock needs a specific yoke to attach it to the suspension system.

Specialized has RS and Fox ones ready to go from what I have been told, and are looking at ones for different brands of shocks.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I never felt that the Fox was the right fit for my 2010 so i took a chance and put a vivid air on it and the bike felt like a completely different animal (for the better). They could benefit from a custom tuned shock i think. I could just not get the Rc4 to feel at home on the bike and this was after the Fox race support guy had taken a bunch of time to make sure everything was set to my weight and riding style.

Hopefully i can swap out and get another Vivid air if i end up with a 2011 at some point. sounds like from what TRANCEND said that that will be possible.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
You should be able to put whatever shock you want on there eventually; but keep in mind that the shock stroke, i to i, and wheel rate have all changed for 2011. Should be quite a bit different from your 2010 Demo. Maybe the RC4 is perfect for it now?

brian field

Monkey
Feb 5, 2007
The shock is a stock size/shape. It may have custom tunes . However, each shock needs a specific yoke to attach it to the suspension system.

Specialized has RS and Fox ones ready to go from what I have been told, and are looking at ones for different brands of shocks.
Anyone know anything about this?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Anyone know anything about this?
Knowing Specialized has a STRONG tendency to brain wash everyone with their marketing crap, if they had custom valved shock , I'm pretty sure it would be written in bold black on their website, every bike magazines and internet sites.

Like I said, it become pretty obvious their shocks arent special at all when riding one of their bikes...

2 years ago I went to a Specialized clinic for shop employees and I was BLOWN away to hear the VP of sales for Canada, saying how vital it was for them to custom valved their own shock on their XC bikes but when I asked why their DH didnt have custom valved shocks, the guy simply answered "It doesnt matter that much, for DH riders how their suspension feels since they have an whole 8" of travel"

Whether or not this is relevant, I strongly believe the head guy of sales SHOULD know better or at least have a better excuse to cover up ...

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
my buddy here in the UK has a Demo 9 (back in the day, I know..) and then bought a Demo 7

both bikes never felt right with stock shocks, and both were PUSH'd by TF Tuning here in the UK, and felt night/day different in a great way

not sure about current Demos but Tim Flooks at TF Tuning said the Demo 7 stock setup shock did have a weird tune devised by Brandon Sloane at SBC, and it basically sucked - the demo 7 had a horrible tendency to "submarine" at the rear when hitting any square edge at speed, or trying to hop the bike off the ground, this was also felt at speed in berms where the rear wallowed

after the PUSH tune it 'sat up' in its travel and had a platform feel which made the bike much more responsive

TomBigmac

Chimp
May 31, 2009
I think the Demo only fits the shock it comes w/ (Fox). There is a seperate yoke for RS. I don't know about others, but w/ how the shock mounts it may need to be specific for each mfg.
Seems strange that Specialized are SRAM's biggest customer (or so I've been told) and even using Boxxers on full builds they chose to run Fox rear shocks rather than Vivid's. The team use vivids as well so to use Fox they even had to make a whole new yoke as well?!

Here's hoping for a Cane Creek yoke then..

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Seems strange that Specialized are SRAM's biggest customer (or so I've been told) and even using Boxxers on full builds they chose to run Fox rear shocks rather than Vivid's. The team use vivids as well so to use Fox they even had to make a whole new yoke as well?!

Here's hoping for a Cane Creek yoke then..
I'm sure they have some sort of contract w/Fox on supplying rear shocks.. Most likely they had the yokes made for the fox before the RS(SX trail has a similar system that came out in '09 or '10)

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
The shock is a stock size/shape. It may have custom tunes. However, each shock needs a specific yoke to attach it to the suspension system.

Ive talked with Patrick at Elka and their shock is good to go after the rebound knob gets swapped out for a longer one and after a valving.