Quantcast

2011 Eastern Nighttrain

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Just picked up my frame today, tight chainstays, beautiful weld work, and nice attention to details were the first that struck my fancy. Got it built up and am loving the low top tube and high BB. The apparently did away completely with the Black Betty, and invested some R&D into the Nighttrain. Notable changes are: nicer yoke for the chainstays, bigger headtube gusset, 1" on the seat tube, .25" taller BB with 465 fork. Very pretty once it got built up:

However upon sitting on it and spinning the bars. Sadness.

First impressions just goofing around in the driveway in 24degree weather.

Even with the toe overlap, it seems to barspin and x-up fine, but I am doing both bunny hop so my feet are tilted back quite a bit. It's very flicky, having just come from an NS Suburban it feels tiny which is great. The higher BB makes it easy to get up into the air, manuals like any other sub 15" chainstay bike would. The steep head angle makes footjams effortless. The seat can be tucked way low and out of the way, which is a huge plus for me. Integrated seatpost clamp is nice. They are still rocking the integrated headset too.

My only complaints so far: I would have gladly sacrificed the ease of foot jams with the steeper headangle, for the clearance for barspins and x-ups with a slacker headangle/little longer top tube. I'll give a more indepth testing tomorrow.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Nice ride, I like how they used some 20" style on the 1" seatpost and integrated clamp.

No more betty? It had quite a following in these parts.
I actually am not a huge fan of integrated seatpost clamps, but this one isn't too bad. Yep they did away completely with the Betty and just redesigned the Nighttrain. I have had two Betty's this year, broke both of them. I am a huge fan of Eastern, and they had the geo of the Betty absolutely dialed, the gussets and welds could have been better though.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Got it into the park yesterday for some more riding. Pops right into the air, the wheel base is very short, and it took a bit for me to find the sweet spot for manuals, but once its there it stays. Spins quick like a tight wheelbase/tight chainstay bike should. Footjams are effortless. The top tube is real low, so over the top tricks like can's were easier. Caught my foot a couple times in x-ups, but my feet were a bit forward. All in all I'd say its a pretty good frame for the money. Colors to choose from are.. matte black, matte blue, matte red, and matte purple(didn't have it when I got mine =[ ). and matte acid wash.