Quantcast

2011 Giant Glory 00 vs. Glory 01

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Has anyone spent time on both of these bikes, and if so, what were the differences in the ride? I am trying to decide whether the 00 is worth the extra money over the 01 for next season.

Thanks.

P.S. I put 2011 in the title, but impressions of the 2010s will work fine since the bikes are mostly unchanged.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
can't say anything about the vivid vs rc4, but I just switched from an 09 40rc2 to a boxxer team and couldn't be happier

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
99% of the time I would go with the lower spec bike (especially with DH options) because ALL of the components are proven. I bet you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the two if you could demo each.
Either way....enjoy

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Thanks, everyone. I'm not too worried about the Boxxer Team, which everyone I talk to seems to like, but rather the R2 shock, which lacks the compression adjustments of the RC4.

I suppose I'm nervous because I'm coming off a bike that never seemed settled in the rear, and I'd like to not get stuck in that trap again.

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
FWIW if you went with the 01 and were not happy with the vivid, you could always just send it to push or a similar tuning service and you would still come in a lot cheaper than the 00

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
my friend has the glory 01 and loves the boxxer but wasnt crazy about the vivid so he got a rc4 and said it was a lot better.

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I've been considering the shock swap too. But it looks like I may be able to get a little help on pricing, so the difference between the two bikes may be slightly less than retail. And with an RC4 coming in around $600, it might make more sense to go for one out of the box if I think I'm going to want one.

Wish I could ride them both, but the input on here is the next best thing, so thanks.

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
I'm riding a 2010 Glory 01 and am super happy with it. Had my rear shock tuned by a local suspension guy and it feels great now. You really can't go wrong with the Fox suspension or Rockshox as both will work totally fine for you. Its basically Shimano/Fox vs Sram/Rockshox. I always had great experience with Sram so I went with the Glory 01. The saved money and the fact that I was able to trade in the 4.1 vivid for a 5.1 with compression adjustment later on was an added bonus.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
one thing to keep in mind if the price difference isn't huge, is that there are other upgrades besides the suspension - saint brakes are really nice, full saint is lighter and stronger and easier to work on, nicer bars, etc.

Shepherdwong

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
I had my 2010 01 with the vivid and I liked it, but the lack of adjustment finally caused me to get a Double Barrel. The double barrel is great, I love it because I'm a knob turner, but if you don't plan on doing a lot of fiddling around the vivid is solid. It actually feels pretty similar to the double barrel at the neutral stock settings.

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I like twisting the dials too, at least until I get to a nice neutral point that I can count on. So for those of you who switched to a more adjustable shock: did the performance improve much? I could live without more dials so long as the action of the rear end is good to start with. If the Vivid is reasonably plush in comparison with the fancier offerings out there, I'll be happy.

And so long as I'm at it, Glory owners: how well does the rear end of the Glory work relative to other bikes you've ridden? I tried a friend's old Giant DH team and was pretty impressed with how smoothly it rode compared to my 2009 bike, though I know the Maestro system has gone through some changes since then.

Last edited:

CountryBoy

Monkey
Nov 10, 2008
Reno, NV
My brother had a 00 and I had a 01 and I switched off between the two at the end of the season when he stopped riding. I race expert and I could switch between them and not lose anytime. I think that the 01 is better, because I like the sram build more than the shimano, but thats really the only reason. If you ride anywhere below expert, I don't think you will notice the difference.

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
My brother had a 00 and I had a 01 and I switched off between the two at the end of the season when he stopped riding. I race expert and I could switch between them and not lose anytime. I think that the 01 is better, because I like the sram build more than the shimano, but thats really the only reason. If you ride anywhere below expert, I don't think you will notice the difference.
Thanks--that's good to know. I raced Sport this year but I'll be running Expert next year. I've been leaning toward the 00 today (figured it wouldn't leave me wondering about the next level,) but I'll meditate on this now--I've still got some time to sort it out.