Quantcast

2011 Makulu shock help

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
So I'm about to buy a Makulu frame and it comes with an RC4. My problem is do I stick with the RC4 or upgrade to a CCDB? Has anyone had time on both? Also it's a runout frame so I'll have to pay $600 for the CCDB. Any advise would be great.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Get the RC4 and try it out.

Full MSRP on the CCDB is $650, $600 to upgrade from an RC4 is crazy.

Oh...but these are US rate.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You'll probably be quite happy with the RC4 once setup correctly. As above, you could probably buy your own CCDB for not much more than that later if you really wanted.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
really really stoked on my any woodie on my makulu. i didn't care for the rc4 on it. i also have a vivid that runs pretty nice on it... for sale for $150, in classifieds :D

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Cane Creek has a "makulu" tune...if you go that route, be sure to ask for it. I have it but couldn't tell you the technical specs - I generally let the pros handle that.

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
Ok I'm about 91-92kg with gear (about 200lb), do I go for a 200 spring or 250? I ask this as I know springs are never correct. Am I better going slightly higher and I'm going to see how the RC4 shock goes before I think about the CCDB.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
If there is no Makulu tune, then why does my shock have "Makulu" etched on the reservoir?

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
perhaps the larger reservoir is needed to accommodate the bigger shock stroke? i've never seen a 3.5" stroke ccdb so i'm guessing this is it.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I just picked up a makulu used. STOKED!! it has an RC4. curious if anyone could give me some hints on settings to start out with, and what spring to run. I'm about 180 with gear, top 10 cat 2 rider. I have a 200lb spring on there now and it feels a bit too light.

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
I'm 200 with gear and run a 200 spring and its spot on. Thing you have to remember is the frame runs best at 40% sag. With the RC4 I"ve settled on the following settings for our rough, rocky tracks: rebound 9 clicks, HSC 3 clicks, LSC 4 clicks and I haven't touched the boost valve and even when the rear does bottom you can barely tell. I was having problems with getting it to leave the ground for jumps and found that the faster rebound and a few riding style adjustments has this all good now. I can say right now I can't see me ever selling mine unless they come up with and even better version on it!!

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Cane Creek has a "makulu" tune...if you go that route, be sure to ask for it. I have it but couldn't tell you the technical specs - I generally let the pros handle that.
This is not true, Malcolm himself said there's no such thing as a Makulu tune

Last edited:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I'm 200 with gear and run a 200 spring and its spot on. Thing you have to remember is the frame runs best at 40% sag. With the RC4 I"ve settled on the following settings for our rough, rocky tracks: rebound 9 clicks, HSC 3 clicks, LSC 4 clicks and I haven't touched the boost valve and even when the rear does bottom you can barely tell. I was having problems with getting it to leave the ground for jumps and found that the faster rebound and a few riding style adjustments has this all good now. I can say right now I can't see me ever selling mine unless they come up with and even better version on it!!
probably a dumb question but which end of the spectrum are you referencing for those settings?

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
Sorry my bad. Those setting are from slowest for rebound, and fully open or anti-clockwise from memory for the LSC and HSC. I'm actually thinking of trying a 250 spring to see how it feels but unsure yet. Might tweak the low speed a bit more yet.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
How much do you weigh Oldm8 ?
Have you measured your sag?

The straight tube version of the Makulu has "gone up" in 25lbs increment from the previous year's.
I weigh 82 kilograms and ride a 250 spring for what it's worth.

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
Yeah I have the straight tube version. Its a 2011 and I weigh about 89kg with gear on. Sag with the 200 spring was bang on 35mm which is 40%. And that's using a steel spring. I think my idel spring would be about 225 which is why I'm also looking at a CCDB air shock once I hear more on their performance.