Quantcast

2011 Pietermaritzburg World cup course. (head cam)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
looked like there were some pretty fast chundery sections, and some pedaling. helmet cams never do courses justice though, I'll hold out and wait till I here more.

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
In a another note:

I'd like to see the return of old classic WC tracks. Mostly fast and wideopen tracks. Lets send emails to UCI.

Nevegal (Italy) one of the best
Cortina (Italy)
Kaprun (Austria)
Les Gets (France)
Vars (France)
Arai (Japan) one of the best
Vail (USA)
Durando (USA)

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Are you guys talking about 2:46 - 4:12? Are you sure that is part of the course? The rider was just sitting down/chillin during that section; kinda made it seem like he was either lost/took the wrong route. From the elevation map posted earlier, is that really part of the race course, because that map made it look alot steeper??

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Are you guys talking about 2:46 - 4:12? Are you sure that is part of the course? The rider was just sitting down/chillin during that section; kinda made it seem like he was either lost/took the wrong route. From the elevation map posted earlier, is that really part of the race course, because that map made it look alot steeper??
The rider says it's a mega pedally section, and it seems to connect the new track to the old 4x track at the bottom so I think it is part of the track.

The helmet cam may indeed make it look flat (as usual) but it's still going to be 40 seconds worth of hard pedalling, either way!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Agree that if that's really the WC route, fitness will be a big factor (which *seems* to favor guys like Minnaar & Gee, and perhaps Fabien & Peat).

However, it doesn't seem like it can be too flat as the rider appears to be going fast enough to hit (and clear for the most part) some big jumps throughout the track. Altho, if there is another deluge like last year, I bet those jumps will be a lot of "fun".

Regardless, I'm just stoked to be talking about WC racing again.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
also something to mention. they talked about a big drop of that rock into the pebble beach rock garden but they put a big ramp there so its just a roll off the rock. kinda lame that section looked like it was going to be super rad.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Wow, that top section looks f-ing amazing. But ya, that middle section...strange.

Also, factory pro and you can even manage to make an HD recording? Come on...

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
This is a much better looking track than the previous track imo,the huge jumps will be worth bubba scrubbing & doing killer moto whips:D.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Thirded.

Downhill might be the only sport in the world where the "fans" complain because a venue requires a higher degree of athleticism.
A lot of riders too.

And the same thing happens in skiing and snowboarding. People who can't imagine skiing or riding a type of terrain, or a snow condition, they assume it should be "fixed" with grooming or earthmoving or stump-grinding.

How about just dealing with it, using your athleticism?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Just watched it again. I think all you naysayers are dead wrong on this. Pedaly section or not that is gonna be one AWESOME track to watch. Finally they are realizing they need the track to be part champery, part supercross, but almost all fast. The mix of sections in that trail is pretty superb. I mean come on, 60 ft tables after a really steep fast section, about time we see those kind of combinations.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
I think this is going to be like when a la bresse helmet cam first showed up on the interwebz. Everyone wrote la bresse off as "grassy, weak sauce, simple as ****e, etc.."... Now everyone wants to see it come back on the calendar.

The guy in the helmet cam is pin'r. Im sure once the Parkin Bros land in SA, they'll make all that shiz look like gold.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I think this is going to be like when a la bresse helmet cam first showed up on the interwebz. Everyone wrote la bresse off as "grassy, weak sauce, simple as ****e, etc.."... Now everyone wants to see it come back on the calendar.
They do? Id gladly see Maribor, Schladming, Pila, Vigo, Are and a million other tracks over La Bresse. Its not a bad track but still very short. Good for fun, not for racing imho.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
They do? Id gladly see Maribor, Schladming, Pila, Vigo, Are and a million other tracks over La Bresse. Its not a bad track but still very short. Good for fun, not for racing imho.
Wrong impression then... I thought it made for some of the best race footage out there.

My point was, given what happened with the la bresse helmet cam... Not to base everything off a low-res helmet cam. Most of the track looks pretty effin fast apart from a little pedally section. God forbid they use that thing at their feet called a crankset and some pedals.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
a section of a race track for a bicycle race that requires this "pedaling" activity? What a novel concept.
I agree that a pedal section that are placed well on a course and are not marathon status are good. But the "your on a bike, pedal it" excuse is Bull $h!t. do you ever see a 40 second skate in the middle of a downhill ski race? NEVER

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
are the ladies going to be able to make any of those jumps? it's going to make everyone look pretty stupid if it rains there, not a good look for the sport, but should mix some things up to start off the year. Minnar, Cole, Atherton, Barel and Hannah.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
that looks like a local shuttle run. yeah you put up with the flatter part cuz well its the only "dh" around.. its not anywhere at the level of WC

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Maybe they should remove all the rocks too. They hurt pretty bad when you land on e'm.:rolleyes:

I think there is a differance. I crash a lot and have no problem with rocks but the stumps would be really crazy to crash on. Though its not like its the most dangerous part of the course. I just dont like the suck it up argument like the pros are slaves or sth ;)

As for Labresse - the track was rad but imho very short courses are more about not making errors than finesse.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I agree that a pedal section that are placed well on a course and are not marathon status are good. But the "your on a bike, pedal it" excuse is Bull $h!t. do you ever see a 40 second skate in the middle of a downhill ski race? NEVER
bwahahaha did you really just compare downhill skiing to mountain biking? really? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: and at the world cup level? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
really dig it...up until the long stretch. I was like "what is everybody complaining about" until I saw the last quarter of the video...wow. That's pretty bland.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I dont love the idea of the long pedally section, but hey, these are supposed to be the best athletes in the world... SOMEBODY had to train hard, it will show, and possibly reward them. I am sure every track wont be like this, if pedaling isnt your strong point, still have the rest of the season.

I am also with Norbar, stumps on a flat pedally section = retarded