Quantcast

2011 Plattekill Bike Park DH Race Dates

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
I will be a 3rd for the 12 hour race, 8am - 8pm on a Saturday, then a party in the parking lot with camping included in the entry fee with a Sunday lift ticket.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
If you make the Mass-Start race happen on DH-Mania style on fire roads I'd do it.
If we race fall-line on grass someone is going to get killed.

If we can get some kids to help and a little bit of digger time I think it'd be really fun to do a Super-G race under the triple from the top of the 4x track. I think that'd be pretty fun to ride, period.

Imagine something gravely and wide enough to get loose through most of the corners on a DH bike and blow them out on purpose if you want to. Make it long enough to time with stop-watches.

It'd be worthwhile to build as a fun option back down to the lift too.

As far as grass-style flat-track gate-banging mano a mano I spent a bunch of time hiking under the triple lift looking for something that had the right pitch and "dirt" to race DS with Grass spikes.

I know that there were some traditional DS races on the triple side in the late '90s but I think the hike back up would make too many people complain these days.
A longer Super-G track might help eliminate the whining since there would only be one or two runs and the track should be better for a DH bike so that it would actually be fun to use the lift to bring bikes back up instead of the "waste" of time of pushing or the less-than-fully fun prospect of riding a ds bike from the top of the hill.
With a super-g race figuring out a way to take your run at any time throughout the day I feel like the rider numbers might actually help Laz make some money off of gated racing. Making money off of gated racing would be super...

A simple DS track on the bunny slope on the double side would be easier to build than a fancy track somewhere else.
We raced dual on that track a few years ago but the track didn't really "pop" much. Running a true DS with well set gates toward the bottom would spice it up but I'm worried about the costs of doing fancy timing for 1.5 second dual elimination.
We are going to have to hand time it which might annoy people.
Doing triple elimination (best out of 3) would be the solution there.
If the rider numbers get high enough that would really drag out the racing though. I'm not sure we would have to worry about that this year.

Are there lights on that slope?

You all owe me 2 cents.
Thanks.

gravitydad

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
NY
So...any rule changes as far as how many events qualify you for the series? Last year as long as you hit Platty you were a contender for the series.

Will Platty be running it's own local series as well as ESC?

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
So...any rule changes as far as how many events qualify you for the series? Last year as long as you hit Platty you were a contender for the series.

Will Platty be running it's own local series as well as ESC?
We are working to bring everything together. The series will expand to other venues. However we are VERY mindful of the challanges of traveling far to race DH. We also want to keep a reasonable number of required races to compete for the series Champs. There will be options. Last year the Plattekill events were the NYS Championship Series, while the Mount Snow Series served as the VT State Championship Series. We also kept entry fees reasonable. This model served racers quite well and we will grow with it. We are working our butts off to get everything finalized ASAP.

Thanks for the support in 2010 and looking forward to seeing you at the mountain this season.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Mickey, whats the word on slalom short track?
I don't have jack-**** for time to work on anything until I get the Handmade Show is wrapped. After that is over things should calm down here a bit and I'm hoping to work a bunch of gravity stuff.

The slalom shortrack/Roostmaster could be a total ****ing hack job and still be fun. I'd hope that it would be about as "serious" as a footdown competition.
Sunday evening Last Chance For Glory! It should probably use the bunny slope on the double side.

frankthetank

Chimp
Feb 20, 2010
NY/NJ
We are working to bring everything together. The series will expand to other venues. However we are VERY mindful of the challanges of traveling far to race DH. We also want to keep a reasonable number of required races to compete for the series Champs. There will be options. Last year the Plattekill events were the NYS Championship Series, while the Mount Snow Series served as the VT State Championship Series. We also kept entry fees reasonable. This model served racers quite well and we will grow with it. We are working our butts off to get everything finalized ASAP.

Thanks for the support in 2010 and looking forward to seeing you at the mountain this season.
ignore my last post I did not see this I started to panic after I had planed to only race the vertical earth series (closer to home).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I hope to get to the first race this year...it'll be right after I spend two weeks in the carribean and three after I get married, and my bike is currently in pieces...but yeah, go that. Plus I'm fat and haven't been on a bike since October....hmmmmm

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
I am trying to postpone the first race and make that the Work weekend. The weekend before the May 1 race date is the weekend after Easter. Easter comes very late this year.
That would mean if the schedule remained the same, the work weekend would fall the weekend before Easter which is mid-April and just too early.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
sick. it is awesome that you guys have a work weekend planned again. It was a lot of fun last year.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Updated:

2011 Plattekill Bike Park DH Race Dates

5/22 Gravity Open - UCI Points Race
7/3 Independence Day Race
7/24 Mid-Summer Classic
9/4 Labor Day Race
10/9 Columbus Day Race

5/1 Work weekend