Quantcast

2011 Pro GRT dates officially announced

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
2011 USA Cycling Pro Mountain Bike Gravity Tour (Pro GRT)

April 9-10: NW Cup - Port Angeles, Washington
May 14-15: Highland Bike Park - Northfield, New Hampshire
May 21-22: Plattekill Gravity Open - Roxbury, New York
June 18-19: Northstar-at-Tahoe - Truckee, California
June 25-26: Wildflower Rush - Crested Butte, Colorado

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast

Highland and Plattekill are about 4 hours apart, with the US Open the following weekend. The Northeast will buzzing in May.

Might want to check out the May 1, Eastern States Cup race at Plattekill for a sneak preview of the ProGrt course

Last edited:

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Highland and Plattekill are about 4 hours apart, with the US Open the following weekend. The Northeast will buzzing in May.

Might want to check out the May 1, Eastern States Cup race at Plattekill for a sneak preview of the ProGrt course
VooDoo the east coast natives grow restless for the full schedule.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
last I checked platty had their dates posted.

what's the deal with them having nearly all their races on holiday weekends?
Mr. Kranked this is true ....... I was trying to push VooDoo for the full ESC series schedule ...... as if he doesn't have enough on his plate....with his real full time job......

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mr. Kranked this is true ....... I was trying to push VooDoo for the full ESC series schedule ...... as if he doesn't have enough on his plate....with his real full time job......
yea same here. I've been helping him out with a few team related documents.

But yea. I've gotta pass on the platty 4th of July race this year, as the windham WC is the following weekend and I will be there.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Damn, all wrapped up before the end of June? Neat to see Highland in there. I can't imagine what the lift line will be like.

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A

Thats a very fair and great schedule!
GOOD WORK to all involved.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Damn, all wrapped up before the end of June? Neat to see Highland in there. I can't imagine what the lift line will be like.
got to agree...great to see more bigger races coming to the NE, but highland isn't exactly pro caliber for DH racing. Don't get me wrong, I love the park, but when I think of "large-scale timed downhill racing" I don't think of Highland, especially with *deep breath* Killington,snow,sundayriver,jiminy,whiteface,attitash,etcetcetc....

...but I'll probably attend anyway, just to watch!

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
got to agree...great to see more bigger races coming to the NE, but highland isn't exactly pro caliber for DH racing. Don't get me wrong, I love the park, but when I think of "large-scale timed downhill racing" I don't think of Highland, especially with *deep breath* Killington,snow,sundayriver,jiminy,whiteface,attitash,etcetcetc....

...but I'll probably attend anyway, just to watch!
Highland's new Race course from last year was fun and race worthy.

The lift line will be fine can't be worse that last years closing day.

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
no hate against Highland but if the Pro GRT is going to have a race on a 600 foot hill, why cant they show some love to the midwest? Unbeknownst to many of you out East and West there are several places with comparable elevation, trails, and infrastructure as well as numerous riders that travel long distances to see and race these events anyway.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
no hate against Highland but if the Pro GRT is going to have a race on a 600 foot hill, why cant they show some love to the midwest? Unbeknownst to many of you out East and West there are several places with comparable elevation, trails, and infrastructure as well as numerous riders that travel long distances to see and race these events anyway.
is there anything in the mid-west with trails anything like Highland and a lift?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the one big difference between the two regions is proximity to other mountains / bike parks.

As was previously indicated, highland is only about 4 hours from plattekill, and those events are being held consecutive weekends. the weekend after the platty GRT is the US Open, and diablo is only 2 hours from Plattekill. Three events, 3 consecutive weekends, and only ~6 hours of driving necessary to get between the 3.

This is much MUCH easier for teams to handle, both logistically and financially.

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
is there anything in the mid-west with trails anything like Highland and a lift?
Marquette Mountain, Michigan - 600ft. hosted the first Monster Park Slope-style and is host to hundreds if not thousands of people every year for the Superior Bike Fest (think Sea Otter only with a legit DH course).

Spirit Mountain, Duluth, Minnesota - 700ft. has some of the best trails in the midwest. I dont believe lifts run in summer, but they are there an operational if need be.

Devils Head, Wisconsin - 500ft. for events can be shuttled or ski lift. Used to host the WORS Subaru Cup, to this day one of the most fun DH trails i have riden.

Boyne Mountains, Michigan - 500ft. I believe they run lifts on weekends and hold several DH races. I have not been here yet so I cannot comment on how the trails are.

Devils Den, Arkansas - 800ft(i believe). no lift, but i think it can be shuttled. not that any of us want it but Walmart HQ is right there and could throw down lots of money for the sport.

Granite Peak, WI (700ft), Mount Bohemia, MI (900ft), and Lutsen Mountain, MN (900ft) would also be great candidate if they built up a trail system, the latter two are kind of far to drive however.

i do understand the reasoning for having the highland race with the other two races, im more just questioning why cant there be a major race/event in the midwest when there is a major event on comparable terrain elsewhere.

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
im more just questioning why cant there be a major race/event in the midwest when there is a major event on comparable terrain elsewhere.
Without getting into a long post on answering you question , I'll just say that your best bet is not to ask Ridemonkey members, USA Cycling or JDD who runs the ProGrt that question. You should ask the promoters. They are the ones that need to put in the efforts to host major races.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Here is an apt response:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
Without getting into a long post on answering you question , I'll just say that your best bet is not to ask Ridemonkey members, USA Cycling or JDD who runs the ProGrt that question. You should ask the promoters. They are the ones that need to put in the efforts to host major races.
exactly.. you can list endless venues to host a pro grt event (i know i have).. but unless there's a local promoter or the resort wants to host an event, all you can do is bitch about not having an event at a certain location. get them to contact me regarding 2012! there's already a growing list of events wanting to be a part of the tour!

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
exactly.. you can list endless venues to host a pro grt event (i know i have).. but unless there's a local promoter or the resort wants to host an event, all you can do is bitch about not having an event at a certain location. get them to contact me regarding 2012! there's already a growing list of events wanting to be a part of the tour!
And Plattekill Bike Park is one of them. We plan on stepping up to a UCI Class 2 event in 2012. We're on a five year plan with some lofty goals with "The Gravity Open", The ProGRT and The ESC. Racing is alive and growing in the USA.

As a racer, a promoter and a team manager (sound familiar JDD?) I am EXTREMELY grateful to JDD for all his efforts in resurrecting a "National DH Race Series" :thumb:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
And Plattekill Bike Park is one of them. We plan on stepping up to a UCI Class 2 event in 2012. We're on a five year plan with some lofty goals with "The Gravity Open", The ProGRT and The ESC. Racing is alive and growing in the USA.

As a racer, a promoter and a team manager (sound familiar JDD?) I am EXTREMELY grateful to JDD for all his efforts in resurrecting a "National DH Race Series" :thumb:
Agreed. JDD is kickin' ass!!! :cheers:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
Will points be keep for Cat 1 racers in the "Amature GRT" as was stated last year?
for at least the Cat 1 Jrs. the guy who was suppose to do them last year didn't... & i didn't have time to do them.

i still don't, but i need to do the Pros this year anyhow as backup to USAC.. apparently a person who no longer works there kinda screwed things a little, so i'm gonna try & tally points for Cat 1. I want to get amateurs more involved, but have limited resources to do so.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I kinda can't believe that they are having a GRT at Highland. I love the place, and they do things right, but still.... it's so tiny.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I assume there'll be a new course for this? I've skipped their MSC race the last few years but I'm under the impression that the course hasn't changed much (it's pretty weak). In fact, while skiing there today I saw the finish jump covered in snow.
They do have a new trail there, and it is VERY technical, I think it would be awesome to race although it would be much slower then the current course, but I really don't see them using it. Its called psycho rocks. It goes in the same area as Psycho cliffs if you know where that is.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I assume there'll be a new course for this? I've skipped their MSC race the last few years but I'm under the impression that the course hasn't changed much (it's pretty weak). In fact, while skiing there today I saw the finish jump covered in snow.
When was the last time you raced there? Did they have this thingy there last time?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Nope, don't recognize that. Besides the first 200 yards out of the start, it used to be a pure pedaler's course. A lot of guys used their mini DH bikes but I stuck to my V10 for that first rough straight. Kain Leonard was the only guy that could beat me. I'm stoked to have 2 GRTs within driving distance, 1 only 3 hours away!

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Oh yeah, its pretty much a new course. I'd say its about 70% new. Mostly the top part is all new, and a few more jumps, berms, rocks, that rock drop, and a fun tree section before the new wood gap thing that you saw this winter which isn't just a fast booter like before. Starts off from a different lift, even. Bottom is still almost the same. There is still a slight uphill, too. Wouldn't be CB without it! haha CB is pretty much the only venue I can get my wife to go to. So beautiful and a cool town. Pretty sure I don't have to tell you that....

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Nope, don't recognize that. Besides the first 200 yards out of the start, it used to be a pure pedaler's course. A lot of guys used their mini DH bikes but I stuck to my V10 for that first rough straight. Kain Leonard was the only guy that could beat me. I'm stoked to have 2 GRTs within driving distance, 1 only 3 hours away!
It's much better now. Could use a few more rocks, though ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
question- are normal joes allowed to race at the GRT series? I'd like to get a race or two in within the month of may...both are GRT races. Could care less about points or whatever...