Quantcast

2011 UCI World Cups chit chat

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
The first WC is only 2 months away, I'm starting to get amped. Great variety of tracks this year, no doubt loads of drama to unfold!

23.04 – 24.04 UCI – Pietermaritzburg RSA
04.06 – 05.06 UCI – Fort William GBR
11.06 – 12.06 UCI – Leogang AUT
02.07 – 03.07 UCI – Mont Sainte Anne CAN
09.07 – 10.07 UCI – Windham USA
06.08 – 07.08 UCI – La Bresse FRA
20.08 – 21.08 UCI – Val di Sole ITA

31.08 – 04.09 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS - Champéry SUI

So.......

Who will have break out performances?

Who will be the one to infiltrate the top 3 of Minnaar, Hill, and Gee?

Is Peaty still hungry enough to keep him at the top?

Has Fairclough spent enough time in the gym?

What about the NZ threats Blenky and Cam Cole?

2011 the year for Fabien?

Will Gwin get his win?

Who has been doing the hardest off-season training?

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I've always wondered... Is it World Cups or World Cup? I thought the whole event (the summation of all the stages) was called the World Cup? Therefore, the individual stages would be called... World Cups?

For example, soccer has the World Cup. Its the event, not the matches. So is it really the Windham World Cup, when there is a greater whole? Or is there really 8 World Cups in our sport as opposed to soccer's 1?

Or is it another brit thing where forks actually means fork?

*Edit* Go Gwin!!!!

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
I think Gwin will got on top of the podium in '11. He works hard and is super fast, just needs a bit of good luck. Also it remains to be seen if it will be Freecaster or will they try the "Pay'' caster thing again.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Hill will be back on top, and its gonna be a tight series between hill, atherton, minnaar, with peat, blenkinsop, gwin, and fabian if he's come back bringing up the rear with the occasional upper podium finish. Hill will take overall and champs. The end.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
very excited for 2011

the new track in south africa looks awesome

le bresse is back, that was one of my favorites.

I hope to see more riders taking a shot at the podium this year but i think its going to be the big 3 in the points chase. I really would like to see the strong return of fabian. That guy is one of my favorite riders and it would be amazing to see him come back on top.

in juniors it will be great to see a full season battle between Neko and troy. The both have seemed to step their game up and things could get interesting.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Gwin will get multiple wins. He has such an amazing attitude about riding, racing and life in general. Just following his fb, he really is thankful for where he is at. Hopefully this is the year for him to find that next gear.

I think Sam will kill. After missing a bunch of last year and taking worlds, he seems like he finally has the right mindset... Kinda like bubba this year in supercross.

I really hope to see and emergence of USA jr talent. The guys have serious speed.

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
2011 will be a good year. Hopefully Fabian will be back at 125% and win a round or two. I'm also rooting for Gwin to do well. Hopefully the change in dress room affects him positively. I'd like to see Lew Buchanan do well as well. Kid is incredibly talented. The UK breeds crazy fast kids.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
2011 will be a good year. Hopefully Fabian will be back at 125% and win a round or two.
I wouldn't bet against him, that's for sure. Assuming he stays healthy, there are few guys on the circuit who are as methodical and professional as Fabien. From training, to bike setup, to studying tracks, to meticulously watching what he eats (I couldn't even get him to have a beer during our meeting at Interbike, and the season was 6-7 months away!) the guy just exudes professionalism. I'll be pulling for him to climb back to the top of the podium.

--JP

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Can't wait to see what Danny Hart does, very impressed withhis first senior year, he's a future contender for sure!

Very happy to say that the juniors should be just as exciting as the mens this year with Troy/Neko and Lewis Buchannan battling it out!

Also hoping Rach comes back and smashes the women!

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Fairclough will be fast this year and spend a lot of time on the podium. That's my only prediction.
Agreed, Brendan rips and is training hard this year!

Keep an eye out for him in your neck of the woods. He has been around for the last month or so. One of the funniest guys I have ever met.

His teammate looks to have developed a nice little beer gut. Peaty training program?
Mr Hill
Saweeet!

The Troy/Neko battles should be good this year as well.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Agreed that Sam doesn't look like he's in the best of shape, but that photo shoot might have been a while back and he's still got a couple months work it out.

Almost forgot about Stevie Smith, he had a great World Champs, would love to see him in the Top 3 a few times this year.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
almost too many threats to keep track of. The usual suspects of course, but I think Cam Cole had a breakout year last year before getting injured, and now he's paired up with Blinky, so I would expect to see them both have a good year. Blenky did win just about every qualy last year, hopefully he can put it together for the final runs this year.

Steve Smith will hopefully not crash and make some more podiums, he has the speed. I'm also expecting Shaun O'connor to have a top ten year, with Danny Hart moving into the top five. And Gwin, third overall.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I hope Gwin gets consistent on the podium this year.

I think Brendan Fairclough will also be a top 5 rider this year too.

This should be a pretty interesting year...

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Danny Hart is one of the craziest riders I've seen.
Always on the very edge of blowing up completely. But very entertaining. And fast as hell.

Hopefully this will be a close race this season! And I hope all the top guys can stay healthy. Too many injuries last season.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pretty stoked to see the big hitters duking it out again and the young guns keeping them honest. Sort of obvious but I suspect Hill/Minnar/Atherton will be fighting for the top spot all season, should be some very close finishes (again). Also curious to see if Hill can stay motivated enough to be consistent for an entire season. And, like others I'm psyched to see the younger guys moving up. Hart is a kick to watch and I'm looking for Mitch Ropeletango to make more of a mark, he's still young but that dude is someone to watch for sure.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Did anybody go to La Bresse in '09? I'll probably be in France when it's going on (missing Windham :( ), is it worth the trip?

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
Did anybody go to La Bresse in '09? I'll probably be in France when it's going on (missing Windham :( ), is it worth the trip?
From what i observed via videos and interviews it was one of the most well attended WC rounds of 2009. Lots of people lining the course top to bottom. Beer gardens up and down the slope. + you know how the french are about cycling of any kind.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Another Brendan supporter here. But IMO it'll be Gee and Greg on top again in the overall. Those two are consistency machines. Hopefully Sambo will loose his beergut before the season starts :)

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
This year is gonna be bonkers...

First off, Gwin to win.

Next, I love watching Danny Hart smash his way down a course. He ended up 8th overall this year. I'm stoked to see Neethling on the same team, and I hope he gets another podium.

Too many riders to root for...

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I think it will be a battle between Hill Minaar and Atherton. Maybe Gwin and Barel will make them the life harder. There are definitely a lot of guys out there good enough for the podium. Personally I hope that Smith will do well. Tis guy is such a beast:thumb:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Hart to get on the podium at least once. Hill to smash the living dick out of worlds - unless he gets injured first. Minnaar or Gee to take Pietermaritzburg. Fairclough to be "promising" all season and never win anything.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Fairclough to be "promising" all season and never win anything.
"If you didn't whip and pedal, you could've been second, you clown":rofl: Sam Hill to Fairclough in Schladming 09 after qualifying(The Entree).
Fairclough is a brilliant, fast and stylish rider.
I just think, he hasn't that "race head" like others have.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If it pisses rain at Champery and Hill isn't injured then I reckon we might see the biggest World Champs margin ever.

Fairclough ought to get one sooner or later, he's got the natural speed and race head or not, one day he'll hold it together and flatten the field.

Hart in the top 5 overall despite having a near death moment 3 times per race run every race.

Gwin, Gee and Greg will or a combination thereof will be on every podium all year.

Barel will win at least one I reckon.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I really hope they change that track in Leogang for 2011. Of course some of the riders were happy but a large part was complaining and I'm not suprised why. It would be great if they had something new. Not only because it's the closest wc track from me ;)

As for the riders. I really hope that some of the unlucky guys in the previous years get their chance. Not only Hill, Cole and Minnaar but I'd really like to see Matti at it again. Him and Brayton.
The tracks themselves don't seem to favour any single rider too much this year - for the overall cup but for the Worlds it's going to be Sam.
Blenki will probably win or podium one cup, same for Brendog. I still don't see them as focused on winning as Gwin, Gee, Sam, Greg. I really hope for a Sick Mick win this year too.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i'm expecting to see big things from Hart and Fairclough, podiums at least and if they are a bit lucky even a win.

overall WC will be dealt in between Gee, Minaar (my tip!) and Hill, worlds will go to Fabian.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
my bet is fabian.. will be fun watch duel of sam and other riders :) g, g, g are boring. want to see new faces. fairclough, blenkinsop yeah

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Shaun O'Connor will be the new face consistently in the top 10...
Dunno about that, he hasn't been doing that amazingly at races back in Aus. I'd be more inclined to keep an eye on Troy Brosnan and Connor Fearon.

Also it'd be ****ing sick if Danny Hart won one!

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
My e-speculation:
-Spagnolo continues moving up
-Good year for juniors, with some surprise top 10 finishes (Brosnan/Buchanan/etc.)
-Wins for Stevie Smith
-Sam Hill = great year
-Gwin? Fairclough? Dunno, but *want* them to do well, just don't know, though...
-Podium for Graves somewhere (stoked to see him roll some DH this year)
-Can't count out Fabien for Worlds...