Quantcast

2011 World Championships: Champery

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know he will be. I just think there will be others that will bust out much larger next year. Some young guns that will actually give him a run for his money next year. Sure he'll win a race or two, but I don't think that with the likes of Brosnan, Hart, Cole, etc.. That he'll have as dominating of a season.
that'll be the case if the younger racers can get into an extremely structured program to help them focus their efforts.

but whatever happens, its good to see so many riders riding at such a high level, makes for really exciting racing because its hard to predict who's gonna do what.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
It'll be Gwin for the win again followed by a couple of the new kids on the block, than Gee, Minaar ...and Hill will hardly make the top 10

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
For the DH history buffs-- what is the closest that anyone has come to a perfect season? Did I hear right that Gwin was the first to go 5/7? Has anyone else gone approximately 70% WC and won Champs?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
For the DH history buffs-- what is the closest that anyone has come to a perfect season? Did I hear right that Gwin was the first to go 5/7? Has anyone else gone approximately 70% WC and won Champs?
In 2007, which was a short season, Sam won 3 out of 5 races with a 3rd and 5th in the other 2. He also won World Champs at Ft. William that year.

If there were more races in the 2007 season he probably would have won them too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In 2007, which was a short season, Sam won 3 out of 5 races with a 3rd and 5th in the other 2. He also won World Champs at Ft. William that year.
that's only 60%.

but yea, i knew there was a short season a few years back, just couldn't remember which year.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
My god, if that track got sloppy wet, I'd be walking or plowing straight lines into the bushes. I like Sam but there's now way a weak shoulder can handle it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
just like his weak shoulder couldn't handle MSA when the injury was fresh.

I'm pretty sure his shoulder will hold up, and the story about not being able to ride xc is complete bs

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
just like his weak shoulder couldn't handle MSA when the injury was fresh.

I'm pretty sure his shoulder will hold up, and the story about not being able to ride xc is complete bs
If only Dionne Warrick would have hired you, her hotline would still be in business.
Let's live in the present.
The present is Rock Jesus.
And he is on a crusade...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
While i still belive Gwin has a big chance to win it Champery is a track that favors him the least since it is not realy moto style - slower and much narrower than vds.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
While i still belive Gwin has a big chance to win it Champery is a track that favors him the least since it is not realy moto style - slower and much narrower than vds.
dude, there was nothing moto about val di sole....nothing...save the last 300-500 yards....and he crushed there too....the guy can ride everything, and he seems to be in complete control...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
dude, there was nothing moto about val di sole....nothing...save the last 300-500 yards....and he crushed there too....the guy can ride everything, and he seems to be in complete control...
what he said. Rock Jesus will do just fine at champ

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
maybe the comparison to moto was out of place... sorry im high om codeine , but he mentioned he likes wide tracks and in the vds topic ppl get all wet for his wide lines. Loose style in champery might really work since it is hard to have a fluid run there.

He also mentioned he didnt like the track

Last edited:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Sorry for being right. RJ, while obviously the man to beat, is not a technical master by any stretch of the imagination. Kids with more skill are going to beat his time here. Mark my words.

One of the tracks that Gwin rides frequently (and Sam Hill made famous during his intense days) is very much a Champery-like track, basically exposed vertical chutes with catch berms the whole way down. the kind of track that after 5 runs, a normal rider is completely spent mentally, the kind of track where you could almost throw a rock from the top and hit the bottom of the track, it is incredibly steep. I think Gwin has far more skill than you're giving him credit, just because he hasn't been racing DH bikes for a long time doesn't mean he hasn't been riding them for quite a while.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
One of the tracks that Gwin rides very frequently (and Sam Hill made famous during his intense days) is very much a Champery-like track, basically exposed vertical chutes with catch berms the whole way down. the kind of track that after 5 runs, a normal rider is completely spent mentally, the kind of track where you could almost throw a rock from the top and hit the bottom of the track, it is incredibly steep. I think Gwin has far more skill than you're giving him credit, just because he hasn't been racing DH bikes for a long time doesn't mean he hasn't been riding them for quite a while.
Elsinore is NOT like Champery, lets not kid ourselves.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
One of the tracks that Gwin rides very frequently (and Sam Hill made famous during his intense days) is very much a Champery-like track, basically exposed vertical chutes with catch berms the whole way down. the kind of track that after 5 runs, a normal rider is completely spent mentally, the kind of track where you could almost throw a rock from the top and hit the bottom of the track, it is incredibly steep. I think Gwin has far more skill than you're giving him credit, just because he hasn't been racing DH bikes for a long time doesn't mean he hasn't been riding them for quite a while.
I heard he rides it fackie. Both ways. :thumb:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Corado Herin had a heck of a season once. It seemed like he won everything, though obviously he didn't.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I heard that gwin has actually been riding tele. You know, free your heel, ski for real shiz. Is that the way he sees the lines, tele like? Is Jesus a tele skier?! Perhaps he needs to ride my Volkl Gotamas, slightly rockered is the future my friend....

Or perhaps its from his tennis days? Lets volley for serve! Then I will smash the ball, no return for all...

:D