Quantcast

2011 World Championships: Champery

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Also, I figured this thread would be a good place to mention that this will be freecaster's last major MTB event for awhile. Apparently next year they are NOT doing the World Cups and will instead focus on some european local events due to $$$ and the UCI.
Is this journalism or just tossing out juicy nuggets to impress friends?

Because journalism should come with a bit more background and reporting.

This just fuels rumors and anger against certain people (i.e. UCI), and we don't even know the full facts.

Can someone report the whole story here? I'd like to know it before I jump to conclusions...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

This just fuels rumors and anger against certain people (i.e. UCI), and we don't even know the full facts.

Can someone report the whole story here? I'd like to know it before I jump to conclusions...
He was right the last time why doubt Fraser now? It is a biking forum so dont expect profesional delivery. I doubt Freecaster would drop the World Cup because there is too much carbonz on teh scene or for other stupid reason like this ;)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Also, I figured this thread would be a good place to mention that this will be freecaster's last major MTB event for awhile. Apparently next year they are NOT doing the World Cups and will instead focus on some european local events due to $$$ and the UCI.
This sounds like last year when something similar was tossed around. Guess we'll see.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East

journalism on a forum?? really??

I think Warner's comments at VDS pretty much confirmed it for me that Freecaster will not be back next year. As far as the story behind it, it is like everything else in the world, it all comes down to money.

I just hope that someone else is willing to work with them (UCI) to try and continue the live feed. And I hope they have someone that knows what they are talking about during the broadcast.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Anybody know anyone not able to get flights out due to the hurricane. Herndon and Daney were trying to reschedule flights for the next day as I was leaving Beech Mountain Saturday night. I would assume they're not the only ones.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
re. freecaster and uci....talked to the owner of FC at crankworx, and he said the UCI dropped a demand of $100,000 on the table for broadcast rights next year, as they already make no money off it freecaster's decision wasn't a hard one, unfortunately....as like all sports orgs, it's an old boys club who thinks people should pay them to sit around and be act like they're important......freecaster and the other web content over the past few years have been the best thing to happen to dh racing, and as usual the UCI doesn't get it, at all.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
......freecaster and the other web content over the past few years have been the best thing to happen to dh racing, and as usual the UCI doesn't get it, at all.
Agreed.
Not only should all us fans be pissed, but think of how much extra exposure that freecaster has brought to bike companies, race teams, privateers etc...

Freecaster has been the single best improvement to World Cup DH interest ever. I love watching these so much that I would pay to watch, but the UCI is just $hitting and falling back in it by running off the "thing" that is creating so much excitement in their series.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
hmmmm. I wonder what we would have to pay per broadcast to make up a hundred grand. I'd pay. Probably up to $100 for the whole season. maybe more depending on coverage.

I wonder if there are any other live internet sports broadcasters out there? Maybe after a year off, the UCI will see that exposure is better than royalties in the end? maybe there's a way for Freecaster to make money off of this? title sponsors? pay per view? pop-up ads? there's gotta be a way to make money off this now? I think mountain-bikers are now moving away from the dirt-bag cheapo demographic... I'm sure if we can drop upwards of 6-7k on a bike, probably half of that on parts and trips in a year, I'm sure there's a way for Freecaster to tap into that cash flow somehow...

either way this is the worst mtb-related news I've heard all year. I'm a sad panda and I need a hug.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Compared to the money they earn from TV stations for the Tour de France or Giro d'Italia, the 100,000 dollars are peanuts.
The thing is, that they just don't care for the sport. They just want to make as much money they can.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
was it just specialized or a group of manufacturers who paid the fee last year in order to keep the races free to viewers? anyone know what that cost was and if it was for the UCI or freecaster costs? i don't remember all the details - someone got the deets?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Should he pass it through your copy desk first?

I missed the byline in his first post. How can I contact his RM post editor?

Where are the standards people?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Does anyone expect the UCI to make reasonable, effective decisions to better the sport?

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
On a related note, didn't the UCI say last year sometime that unless the Euro 4x league was made affiliated anyone racing it would be banned from UCI events? Did I make that up? Way to go, especially as there's no longer 4x at world cup level. This is what it must feel like to get ****ed from every angle.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Sorry for the response towards Fraser, I just don't like it when stuff like that is dropped without more info because it starts rumors and bad info flying around. I imagine there are a lot of us that know stuff that don't drop it on here because it may do more harm than good.

Scott has pumped some money into Freecaster with their new satellite site for watching the WC right? And as others have said, manufacturers have ponied up some cash in the past. And many have shown willingness to pay a little something to watch. Sad state of affairs when all of this happens and the UCI has still managed to kill it. There must be some resistance somewhere...how can we support?

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
I think mountain-bikers are now moving away from the dirt-bag cheapo demographic...
So you own MTBs in order to seem "upscale"? And you feel guilty for riding MTBs because in the past they were "downscale"?

I think this whole discussion about "progress" and "the sport needs..." is ridiculous. People will be able to ride and race MTBs no matter what happens at Freecaster's end and no matter what the UCI does, or doesn't do.

And if you're looking for MTBs to give you some sort of "upscale" social status, or are pining for the day when riding an MTB makes you seem "rich" or whatever... good luck with that.

All sports "progress" on their own, without "the media" or anything else being there to document it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is limiting his view to his own lifetime, rather than knowing the sport's history. Media attention is not what makes things happen. It's the commitment of people who love the sport and do it because they love it -- and not because they can get "media coverage" for their participation in it -- that makes a sport vital.

Too many people have let the MTB media jocks dictate what the sport "needs." They want this because they want to "make a living" shooting pictures or video. Whether the sport can support them is all they care about, no matter what they'll tell us here.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Whoa.....whoa... whoa!

Back up here guys. There are a handful of companies that have a valid need to sponsor the Freecaster feed for next season. Money tied up in long term rider contracts was put on those riders with Freecaster exposure in mind.

I can't imagine the industry not coming up with the funds to make this happen again next year. I'm sure during this off-season, contracts will hash out and $100k will find it's way to UCI.

$100k is nothing in the international scheme of things to the parties vested in our sport. So just be patient and let the number crunchers do their magic.

I'm no fool and there is no logical reason why this money that UCI is requesting won't manifest in due time.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Id really like for IXS cup to be shown on freecaster. Maybe it can be an alt race cup to the WC and in a few years overtake it so we can show our middle finger to the UCI and local orgs.
Seriously a few years of IXS coverage and no WC coverage would change A LOT!

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Some comments:

I want the full story before jumping to conclusions re: Freecaster vs. the UCI. Wasn't there some controversy last year over the fact that Freecaster were upset that independent film makers (working for race teams etc) were being allowed up on the hill to film, which kind of violated Freecaster's "exclusive rights" agreement with the UCI? I'm filling in gaps here, but I remember something like that. If Freecaster's falling out with the UCI stems from UCI's refusing to enforce this, then I have somewhat less sympathy...

If the above doesn't apply, who at the UCI do we write to to complain? I figure if enough of us write to tell them what a bunch of dickwads they are they might get the idea...

I also can't help but think that if Freecaster ditched Warner, entertaining as he is, an external sponsor with more $$$ might be more willing to come forward. AS it is I doubt anyone outside the bike community wants to be associated with the coverage. I think I remember Whitely expressing a similar view...

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Some comments:

I want the full story before jumping to conclusions re: Freecaster vs. the UCI. Wasn't there some controversy last year over the fact that Freecaster were upset that independent film makers (working for race teams etc) were being allowed up on the hill to film, which kind of violated Freecaster's "exclusive rights" agreement with the UCI? I'm filling in gaps here, but I remember something like that. If Freecaster's falling out with the UCI stems from UCI's refusing to enforce this, then I have somewhat less sympathy...
nope, that was all UCI apparently as Ray didn't care one bit....UCI is just looking to squeeze money out of everyone....just like the IOC, or any other governing body, an old euro boys club that thinks they deserve to be treated like kings.....

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Some comments:

If the above doesn't apply, who at the UCI do we write to to complain? I figure if enough of us write to tell them what a bunch of dickwads they are they might get the idea...

I also can't help but think that if Freecaster ditched Warner, entertaining as he is, an external sponsor with more $$$ might be more willing to come forward. AS it is I doubt anyone outside the bike community wants to be associated with the coverage. I think I remember Whitely expressing a similar view...
The UCI demanded a payment of $800 for the private filmmakers, this would allow them to film the final few corners at MSA but not further up the track, if if remember correctly there was also a 5 min limit on the footage. It was only for the worlds.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Whatever you feelings about Warner, he's a damn good commentator. Sounds pretty weak otherwise imo.

As for companies "wanting to be associated," ... lame.

Next thing you know, these weirdos won't allow your bike company to run ads in their magazine because their name is "Evil Bikes."

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So you own MTBs in order to seem "upscale"? And you feel guilty for riding MTBs because in the past they were "downscale"?
easy buddy. I think you need to go back and re-read my post. I said nothing about my participating in this sport for how it makes me look to others. I ride my bikes caus' I like to. I've been riding mountain bikes long enough now (going on 20 years and specifically DH for a little over ten years) to witness the sport going from primarily dirt-bags with bodged-together bikes to people willing to invest big money into it. What I'm saying is that it's a legitimate industry, with good money to be made nowadays if it's nurtured properly.

Here's an example: 10 years ago when I started going to Bromont for lift assisted riding, the bikes were beat-down, and people were wearing moto (or ski-doo) helmets, used hockey equipment, and old hockey jerseys. People camped in the parking lot, and cooked their own food. The town wasn't making all that much money off us back then: no eating in restaurants, staying in hotels, shopping in local shops, buying local gear, or renting high-end bikes. You go there nowadays, and the lift-line is chock-full of Intenses, Evils, GT, Specializeds, Morewoods etc etc etc all bikes over $5000. I was surprised at the number of D3's and matching pyjamas. People are now renting condos and eating at local restaurants. People are also travelling: to the Eastern resorts, to Whistler, to the Alps. The point is, downhill mountain biking is now attracting more people who are spending money, and commerce outside our industry is noticing. I think additional coverage, like what freecaster brings to the table is an enabler of this change, and the UCI should be supporting them in their infancy, rather than trying to milk them before they're ready.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Someone pissed in your Cheerio's this morning?
that's pretty much what the "news" about Freecaster not broadcasting the races next year's amounts to... and it tastes bad.

sooo... since I've posted three times on this thread now, and not one mention of the race yet... here's a question: anyone know if you can purchase the re-transmission from Freecaster? I will be away from the internet this weekend... :(

fwiw, I think it's Gwin's to lose.

and Pompom's got a good shot at it. As do Pugin and Rachel. And you can never count Tracy out, as she's shown throughout the year.

It's gonna be a good race all 'round...

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
that's pretty much what the "news" about Freecaster not broadcasting the races next year's amounts to... and it tastes bad.

sooo... since I've posted three times on this thread now, and not one mention of the race yet... here's a question: anyone know if you can purchase the re-transmission from Freecaster? I will be away from the internet this weekend... :(

fwiw, I think it's Gwin's to lose.
the purchase of the live race feed includes viewings of the replay once it's up.

"The World Championships will be accessible pay per view. Access will include all LIVE race coverage as well as REPLAYS in 4X, DHI and XCO."

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
10 years ago when I started going to Bromont for lift assisted riding, the bikes were beat-down, and people were wearing moto (or ski-doo) helmets, used hockey equipment, and old hockey jerseys. People camped in the parking lot, and cooked their own food. The town wasn't making all that much money off us back then: no eating in restaurants, staying in hotels, shopping in local shops, buying local gear, or renting high-end bikes
Brings back good old memories. I used to purchase my pads for DH at Play It Again sports, in the hockey pads department!! It's true, guys were camping at the bottom, smoking cigs and cramming bikes into beat up rusted tie wrap connected honda civics and tercels. Nowadays! Ha! No more madness on the hill. It's like skiing where people want to be properly dressed even before they sit on the chair to go up. Derailleur linkage color has to match the helmet color!