Quantcast

2012/13 Rotec RLi

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Talk about blast from the past. Interested to see what this looks like built - rotec always had nice, beefy stuff.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i would like to see one made up, not just a drawning, but could looks nice ;) e-spec at its best

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Sully is the man.

The Rotec I had was a beast, in that it just destroyed anything it looked at. SUCH a fun bike. So good in everyway, from manufacturing to...i dunno. Stickers. Loved it. Be nice to see this version if its a bit lightened up!

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
yea, the RL9 had the same setup. I guess with a true Lawwill design, like the Rotec it's necessary.
Dont quote me 100% but im gona say it just goes hand in hand with the lawwill the old yeti's had the same style brake/hub spacing for it.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
OK, that's my next bike. Or depending on how long it takes, my next, next bike. But I will have it, it had better be cool. I miss my old 1st gen Rotec.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Does pivoting around the bottom bracket solve space constraints or make a more complicated, flexier pivot? I was thinking this while looking at a KHS the other day. Some bikes pivot around the BB to eliminate chainstay growth but not this Rotec or the KHS.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
The pivot is SUPER solid. The bearings are bigger than the BB. Space is tight on the older RL9's due to the "floating shock" arrangement. If Sully can get the weight down and solve the problem of bending axles it would be a perfect bike. Shifting issues with Lawwill designs was adressed good in the prior versions so that should be fine. the bike rips in rough terrain.

Here's a pic of the one I'm rebuilding:

Last edited:

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
wouldn't it make more sense to mount the rear caliper on the link that holds the axle since it stays parallel to the ground though the suspension stroke like the floating brake mount on singlepivots?

edit - took a better look at it at linkage, it actually swings a bit rearward, this mount that's on the schematic seems to work better actually, can't really imagine it moving in my head...

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
wouldn't it make more sense to mount the rear caliper on the link that holds the axle since it stays parallel to the ground though the suspension stroke like the floating brake mount on singlepivots?

edit - took a better look at it at linkage, it actually swings a bit rearward, this mount that's on the schematic seems to work better actually, can't really imagine it moving in my head...
Tomac mounted they way you mention on the original 204 and it had terrible brake jack. Lawwill designs require a floater...even the original one from the early 90s had one.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
+1 on that. I used to have a Schwinn 4-banger for my XC bike. It rode great as long s you didnt hit the brakes. When you had the seat at XC height and headed down a hill and hit the the brakes things got pretty hairy sometimes. The suspension would extend and make it feel like you were getting launched over the bars.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
now i realize why low pivots don't have floating brake mounts or they use crappy implementations of horst link that behave almost like 4-bar vulgaris (old norcos)... they are already prone to brake jack being low pivots and floating mounts only make things worse. damn i almost have enough theoretical knowledge to design a bike.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Does pivoting around the bottom bracket solve space constraints or make a more complicated, flexier pivot? I was thinking this while looking at a KHS the other day. Some bikes pivot around the BB to eliminate chainstay growth but not this Rotec or the KHS.
It is true to Lawill design. As for flex, I would argue there should be less flex. Nice big bearing well supported.

Loved my old Lawill Yeti DH9. Could have had a nicer shock rate. Looks like the Rotec would be more progressive. Looks neat.

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
If the AM bike doesn't have concentric pivot, is it still a Rotec? Can a DW Split Pivot have concentric BB pivot?