Quantcast

2012 bike choice

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
My LBS deals Specialized and Giant, so my choices are between a Demo 8II, and The Glory 0. Looks like Giant will update the geometry of the Glory for 2012 to bring it line with modern DH bikes. Does any have details on the 2012 Glory spec and geometry???. This will be key to making a choice.

cheers

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Nope. The 2012 glory will still rock the old geo. Frango here works for Giant and he claims the geo update wont be there for the next year.

As much as I hate the looks of the demo I think it is the better option. Though is Giant and Spec the only option for you?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Nope. The 2012 glory will still rock the old geo. Frango here works for Giant and he claims the geo update wont be there for the next year.
yep. our rep told us the same thing too. the Glory will be a "late" release (a lot of models are available now)

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
baaaaaa.........that sucks. I can get serious discounts on either bike. $$$$ no object I would rock a new V-10c, but for half the price I'll settle for a Glory or Demo. I really like that Spec is going with the CCDB for 2012. I've been using one on my current Demo for the past few years and love it. I gotta say the big thing going against the Demo for me is that Specialized really sucks at supporting their product in eastern Canada. Giant destroys them in that area and it shows. Go to any race or DH weekend in the Maritimes and Glory's out number demo'ss 50 to 1. That and I can't see myself running a boxxer, it seems like a toy compaired to a Fox 40....which is my preferance.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
for 2012, i'm split between a few frames...

1)V10c
2)M9
3)DHR
4)Session 9.9

leaning towards V10c or M9 (if they iron out their linkage bolt issues)
Sesion seems a bit strange on that list. It may be me but on really beaten up/rough courses treks susp doesnt do it for me.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Dave have you considered the new Norco ? I'm putting some serious thought in to one for my self next season. I'd think we should be able to get just as good a deal on one of them as a Glory or Demo.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Dave have you considered the new Norco ? I'm putting some serious thought in to one for my self next season. I'd think we should be able to get just as good a deal on one of them as a Glory or Demo.

I have given it a look.....nice spec including the CCDB as well. Kinda worried about its durability though.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
valid point. Any word on the frame weight? If it's under 9lb I do not want it. At least their warranty guys are pretty good at sending out new frames when needed.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
the new Norco DH bike is interesting. i know they lightened it up for this latest generation. they have been testing them for almost 2 yrs now and running them on the WC circuit. loss of weight doesn't necessarily mean loss of durability.
Up to a point. Under certain weight it may not fail under riding but be less resistant to crashing/casing and any other mistake you make. Still I like it and the build on it is the bomb. If only their graphics did a better job. Liked the looks of dirt team bikes but the production white looks cheap.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
The more I look at the Norco the better it looks. The Geo and sizing is bang on for me in size large too, where the Giant is too big and I could go either medium or large with a Demo. The Norco is a little pricier then the others but its got a killer spec.
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6871385/

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Paulin was out in Van for the norco launch last week, he said its stupid light, the LE coming in with a coil at 34-35lbs (unconfirmed). However he did say it went like snot though anything. That said Demo and Glory are good options, and im loving my operator

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Norco has been working very hard on the Aurum for the past 2 years. I had the chance to talk to the Engineer that's heading the Aurum project, He is fully qualified to properly engineer a DH bike from a structural standpoint... Owen used to work at Roll Royce inspecting the jet engines for structural and mechanical failures... The guy knows metals through and through. They've been so specific as to choose an above average in quality of welding rod to weld the frames with, however that is not just proprietary to the Aurum... See Sight, Range, Truax, Shinobi, Revolver. Another detail to absorb is "Gravity Tune", Gravity tune offers that custom feel at a reasonable prices... Theres plenty of detail already on it around the internetz.

The one thing he said to me that sounded very interesting. The standard test to see if a headtube will fail is approx. 50,000cycles. The Aurum went above and beyond that at 1,300,000cycles, after that a small crack was discovered at the BB area! This bike will take a **** pounding.

Having ridden one last week at the dealer product launch. I have to forewarn that im not a racerboi... The bike felt very stiff, yet the suspension felt very supple with the Vivid R2C.. I could only imagine how it would feel with a properly tuned CCDB. The thing that amazed me the most with this bike is how well one could get on the pedals and really sprint out of the turns or pedal up the small bit of fireroad, it really has a great package going for itself. All in all I really liked the bike, I myself would get the Aurum 2 at $3550CAD and upgrade the couple parts that I would prefer to see on the bike.

Finally, there might not be a carbon copy coming out, and TLD wont be painting custom frames. Bottom line, in 2012 there will be one other great bike to add to the list of possibilities...

Any questions, dont hesitate.

Cheers

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Paulin was out in Van for the norco launch last week, he said its stupid light, the LE coming in with a coil at 34-35lbs (unconfirmed). However he did say it went like snot though anything. That said Demo and Glory are good options, and im loving my operator
Thats what scares me. I'd like to know the weight of the production spec, and the frameset. I need a bike that I can beat on. I'd likely swap out the Boxxer for a 40 (there's a pound) and I'd likely take the carbon cranks off and put some saints on (half pound???) That would still only put it in the 36 pound range, which would suggest the frame is like 8 pounds.....kinda scary.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Norco has been working very hard on the Aurum for the past 2 years. I had the chance to talk to the Engineer that's heading the Aurum project, He is fully qualified to properly engineer a DH bike from a structural standpoint... Owen used to work at Roll Royce inspecting the jet engines for structural and mechanical failures... The guy knows metals through and through. They've been so specific as to choose an above average in quality of welding rod to weld the frames with, however that is not just proprietary to the Aurum... See Sight, Range, Truax, Shinobi, Revolver. Another detail to absorb is "Gravity Tune", Gravity tune offers that custom feel at a reasonable prices... Theres plenty of detail already on it around the internetz.

The one thing he said to me that sounded very interesting. The standard test to see if a headtube will fail is approx. 50,000cycles. The Aurum went above and beyond that at 1,300,000cycles, after that a small crack was discovered at the BB area! This bike will take a **** pounding.

Having ridden one last week at the dealer product launch. I have to forewarn that im not a racerboi... The bike felt very stiff, yet the suspension felt very supple with the Vivid R2C.. I could only imagine how it would feel with a properly tuned CCDB. The thing that amazed me the most with this bike is how well one could get on the pedals and really sprint out of the turns or pedal up the small bit of fireroad, it really has a great package going for itself. All in all I really liked the bike, I myself would get the Aurum 2 at $3550CAD and upgrade the couple parts that I would prefer to see on the bike.

Finally, there might not be a carbon copy coming out, and TLD wont be painting custom frames. Bottom line, in 2012 there will be one other great bike to add to the list of possibilities...

Cheers
Question: What is exactly is an "above average in quality of welding rod". Were they using a below average quality of rod before?:rolleyes:

And as far as frame testing goes, head tube fatigue is not very hard on DH level frames. I would not use it as predictor of frame strength or longevity. The tests that load the frame from the rear end or BB area typically expose the issues. Head tubes don't crack or snap off that often (1st rev DW-DHR w/ the sub par gusset as an exception), frames typically break elsewhere.

Nice advertisement though....

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Question: What is exactly is an "above average in quality of welding rod". Were they using a below average quality of rod before?:rolleyes:

And as far as frame testing goes, head tube fatigue is not very hard on DH level frames. I would not use it as predictor of frame strength or longevity. The tests that load the frame from the rear end or BB area typically expose the issues. Head tubes don't crack or snap off that often (1st rev DW-DHR w/ the sub par gusset as an exception), frames typically break elsewhere.

Nice advertisement though....
Above the average of what every other company is using within the industry.

Look I dont post here often, it may look like im just doing shameless advertising... Im simply trying to throw some facts in the mix. Take it as you please.

Cheers

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Testing will only reveal weaknesses that you create test cases to find. While a strong head tube junction is positive, light weight shouldn't come at the expense of wear and tear types of issues like down tube strikes.

Cheers

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Thanks for the info Louis! I had a chance to get a deal on The team DH last year, but opted out. This year the new bike is looking good. I will pony up for the top line rig as I love the CCDB, and know how to set it up. DO you know what Norco is running in the pivots???? bearings vs bushings..........what style of bearing?

For the record Louis doesn't work for Norco, he just loves bikes like the rest of us.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks for the info Louis! I had a chance to get a deal on The team DH last year, but opted out. This year the new bike is looking good. I will pony up for the top line rig as I love the CCDB, and know how to set it up. DO you know what Norco is running in the pivots???? bearings vs bushings..........what style of bearing?

For the record Louis doesn't work for Norco, he just loves bikes like the rest of us.
Thanks Dave! As far as I know its all bearings, that was one question I completely forgot to ask the engineers about... Dammit.

Also from what Ive heard, if your interested in a frame only. The frame will come in the LE White or Dirt Team paintjob with a CCDB and possibly an angleset.. All for around $2600. Delivery is set around Nov-Dec.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Guys, I've just got confirmation from the gut which works in Giant's Dutch plant, that 2012 Glory come with FSA angle set -1,5*!
Wonder why no1 mentioned it during Canadian launch?!

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
dont bother with any of those get a Morewood....:)

Demo easily over Glory...any day, then sell the frame and buy a morewood lol

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
I know it's still far too early to tell but something tells me that Norco got it really right with the Aurum. Norco doesn't strike me as a company that would place weight savings over durability.

Any specs on the $3500 Aurum?

Last edited: