2012 East Coast Downhill schedule

Smurfette

Chimp
Dec 29, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Addition to the
GES Tentative Schedule

August 25-26 Swain, NY

Can anybody tell me about Swain Im think of making a trip east for races....whats this place like?

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I hope this link is of use to some of you. My site doesn't split things into east coast/west coast though, so you'll have to make do with seeing lots of west coast races as well... Still, might be useful to see things laid out in a calendar format:

http://www.rootsandrain.com/calendar/#!/2012/wc,us/

Has every race that's listed in this thread. If you spot anything that's missing or incorrect, please don't hesitate to let me know. My OCD takes care of the rest ;)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
about f-ing time. never understood the friday-saturday schedule. it's hard for me to get friday's off unless it's months in advance.
For those of us who have to travel Saturday Races are way more fun IMO. I like practicing friday/saturday, racing saturdayPM, and then having sunday to ride for fun and/or get back home in time for work on monday.

Riding/racing until 3 or 4 or 5 in the afternoon on a sunday, not being able to party after the race or just relax, and having to jump back in the car to get home for work sucks, espescially considering it's usually 10+ hours back home.

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Anyone know if Massanutten is a USAC sanctioned event?
Pre Registration live:https://www.bikereg.com/Net/15750
NEW PRESS RELEASE:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/downhill-racing-returns-to-massanutten
We have not committed, but have considered going with the USAC State Championship bid for 2012.
This allows more folks to qualify from each age group and catagory for NC. I need to check to see if the 2012 applications have been updated.

PM works if anyone would like to share the request to have Massanutten sanctioned by USAC. We can also create a new thread if neccesary.
Please refrain from derailing the schedule thread with usac pro and cons.
It cost a pretty penny to sanction events. In the overall pricing we feel Massanutten has offered great racing at a very fair price. Free camping, parking, and practice the day prior to race. Our races have one fee that includes the practice day lift for no charge.

We created the open class years ago for bragging rights only. We have you complete the one day license form from usac. The open class does not qualify folks for the National Championship.
If we choose to sanction our race I will try and offer the open class again for those riders that refuse to keep the yearly license up to date. We would like everyone to race at Massanutten as the season kickoff. I wish our race counted in every series on the East Coast.

Updated 2/28/2012
We are a non sanctioned event for 2012, but the price is right if you preregister.
We have a $10.00 late fee for Saturday and $15.00 for Sunday morning.

Last edited:

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
For those of us who have to travel Saturday Races are way more fun IMO. I like practicing friday/saturday, racing saturdayPM, and then having sunday to ride for fun and/or get back home in time for work on monday.

Riding/racing until 3 or 4 or 5 in the afternoon on a sunday, not being able to party after the race or just relax, and having to jump back in the car to get home for work sucks, espescially considering it's usually 10+ hours back home.
The Friday practice and Saturday race worked for us. The chairlift was already scheduled to operate on Friday for the resort guest scenic chair lift ride. By moving our race back into April the chairs are not operating on Friday. We moved out of May due to college Graduation and Mothers Day each year falling on our race date. We also felt like it opened the schedule for more events.
We only have so many weekends in a race season.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Anyone know if Herndon and company have nailed down Beech Mtn Qualifier dates yet? I would assume that they have dates at this point scheduled with the Mountain (good assumption? bad assumption?). Please share guys. :)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
The Friday practice and Saturday race worked for us. The chairlift was already scheduled to operate on Friday for the resort guest scenic chair lift ride. By moving our race back into April the chairs are not operating on Friday. We moved out of May due to college Graduation and Mothers Day each year falling on our race date. We also felt like it opened the schedule for more events.
We only have so many weekends in a race season.
I hear ya, it's tough since mountain biking doesn't have a big enough draw to open the lifts on our own very often. April is right around the corner, I'd like to hit as many races as I can looks like this year I am going to just have to take more mondays off and less thursdays.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
anybody know anything about the Quebec cup? Tried looking but couldn't find much. although I think Mount Saint Anne has their race on August 18-19th

k8piranha

Chimp
Nov 30, 2010
I'm not talking about the conflict with Snowshoe's dates. I'm talking about the idea of having the Finals of a Downhill series on an overgrown Dual slalom course.
Seven Springs actually has a decent course with some gnar if they run it down the north face. (anyone remember collegiate nat'ls '04-,05)

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Seven Springs actually has a decent course with some gnar if they run it down the north face. (anyone remember collegiate nat'ls '04-,05)
If it's the same course as last year I'm skipping the GES and racing the Snowshoe series and a few other races. I wanted to race the whole GES this year but if it comes down to racing for the overall at seven springs that's a joke.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
confusing for sure. it does make sense though just not from the website. It will be a tough choice as much as I am familiar with Killington. Thanks

Last edited:

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
that MSA race is their National championships. correct me if I'm wrong but us mericans cant race that. if you go on the velirium web site it shows they have a quebec cup on august 18th and 19th. same as killington ESC :(

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
that MSA race is their National championships. correct me if I'm wrong but us mericans cant race that. if you go on the velirium web site it shows they have a quebec cup on august 18th and 19th. same as killington ESC :(
Do they? Link? I can see one on June 18/19 of last year, can't see any relevant 2012 dates on their site?

beast123

Chimp
Jan 26, 2012
Bromont, QC
From the preliminary schedule, here's the list of DH events in Quebec:
-Canada Cup #1, Mont Tremblant, May 18-20
-National Champs, Mont-Sainte-Anne, July 5-8
-MTB Adrenaline Festival, Sugarloaf (New-Brunswick), July 13-15
-Quebec Provincial Champs, Massif Du Sud, September 1-2

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
No address but maybe this will help. Red dots are approx parking locations.... either off the main road at the top or turning off the main road and parking at the bottom. Might be out there Sat.
cfr.gif

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
There is a fireroad that parallels the trail, only about 20 or 30 feet away. U can push back up that road. For a first timer, I would suggest parking at the bottom (assuming the gate is open, i think it is, there was a car on the same road over at Issaqueena on Sunday)... unless you find someone that knows or goes with someone that knows, parking at the top can be alittle confusing until you figure it out.

Last edited: