May 27 Eastern States Cup – Plattekill — Roxbury, NY
June 9-10 Mountain States Cup – Chile Challenge — Angel Fire, NM
June 16-17 Whiteface Pro GRT 5K Downhill — Wilmington, NY
August 3-5 Northstar Pro GRT — Truckee, CA

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
ESC #1 May 20 Mountain Creek, NJ Pro GRT Double Points NJ State Championship FINAL
ESC #2 May 27 Plattekill, NY Pro GRT Double Points
ESC #3 June 3 Attitash, NH
ESC #4 June 10 Pat’s Peak, NH Bike Festival
ESC #5 June 24 Mount Snow, VT
ESC #6 July 15 Windham, NY World Cup Course
ESC #7 July 29 Killington, VT
ESC #8 Aug 5 Mount Snow, VT
ESC #9 Aug 12 Plattekill, NY Steve Porraro Memorial
ESC #10 Aug 19 Killington, VT VT State Championship FINAL
ESC #11 Sept 2 Plattekill, NY NY State Championship FINAL
ESC #12 Sept 16 Attitash, NH NH State Championship FINAL
ESC #13 Sept 23 Jiminy Peak, MA MA State Championship FINAL
ESC Final Oct 7 Plattekill, NY Finals Double Points

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Also @ VooDoo, a question. Why don't you folks ever come a bit further South? Lack of Bike Parks? What is it?
Traveling to races can get expensive. Having their races condensed in the North East I think helps their riders make it to more races instead of spending money on gas/traveling.

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
Traveling up north all the time is EXPENSIVE to attend and race for dh. Maybe the two main series might want to change there names to "gravity North east series" and "Northern eastern state cup"? I have been to most of the dh races up north, good courses and enjoyable areas; I know there is huge efforts of time coordinating and money that go on putting on the events and races. There is Beech Mtn, Sugar Mtn, Paris Mtn, Clemson DH, Massanutten, Windrock and maybe Dark Mtn, in the southern east states. Maybe there should be a Gravity South series formed?

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
To answer some of the other questions:

Our first instinct is to replace the road gap but with the rider input we have been getting, it will probably have a go around and remain open.

Still figuring the series details as far as requirements, press release soon.

Last edited:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
ESC #6 July 15 Windham, NY World Cup Course
...Bypass around the road gap or not, I am SUPER stoked at getting a crack at this fine piece...:D

From what I recall the take-off is super wide, the lip looked mellow, and the landing is equally wide with a gradually sloping pitch.

...it's the top section that has most of the gnar anyway... glad they took out that rock drop that KO'd Hannah...:eek:

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Hey guys, This is the first year that I'm going to try and race Nationals. Which of these races will qualify me for nationals. I know in the past Massanutten would but I guess it isn't part of GES anymore so I'm not even just if that race counts.

Thanks

March 3: Clemson Freeride's 7th Annual Spring Downhill Race
April 28-29: Massanutten
May 12-13: Duryea Downhill
May 19-20: ESC #1/Pro GRT @ Mountain Creek State Championship FINAL
May 26-27: ESC #2/Pro GRT @ Plattekill
June 2-3: ESC #3 @ Attitash
June 9-10: ESC #4 @ Pats Peak
June 9-10: Snowshoe #1
June 16-17: Pro GRT/Whiteface DS & 5K DH
June 23-24: ESC #5 @ Mt Snow
June 23-24: UCI World Cup @ MSA
June 27-1: UCI World Cup @ Windham/Gravity East
July 14-15: ESC #6 @ Windham
July 20-22: USAC National Championships @ Beech Mtn

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
From what I have heard, Beech is going to have their own qualifying event to help everyone in the southeast get qualified. I haven't seen a date posted for it though.

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
If anyone knows the "right" person to work on the POC ESC expansion to the southeast or any other areas, please contact us.
easternstatescup@hotmail.com
What happen to that cool "mission statement" that was posted? And where did the line that said something like " work millions of hours for no pay" go? Anyway, the mission state was good to keep up lets everyone know that you are a committed to putting on a good event for the races for the racers. But the comment about "working the lots of hours for no pay", I understand the hours that go into putting on event, the planning, the effort, missing out on some things along the the way, the headaches of getting things paid for, meeting with town and resort officials, listening to racers complaints; and you do it all for the "love of the sport" while meeting some really good people along the way. Then again it is a business to make money as the bottom line of what you do of putting on events for people to come and enjoy for the race experience. So, yes, you got to pay an "coordinator or director or assistants" for their time. Well, thanks again for the huge effort the POC Eastern State Cup Series, just wish I didn't live 10 plus hours away for the events, I think I might be able to make a few of the races.

Last edited:

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
"The Very Unofficial Gravity South Series”
Feb 19: The Heartbreaker, Super D'ish' Enduro Stylish, more for enjoyable riding fun.
March 10: Beech Mtn, DS
April 14: ETSU DH/DS and pumptrack State Championship FINAL
Nov 17-18: Paris Mtn 2012 DH State Championship

Hope to able to list a few more races, Windrock?, Sugar?, Beech?, etc.

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
What happen to that cool "mission statement" that was posted? And where did the line that said something like " work millions of hours for no pay" go? Anyway, the mission state was good to keep up lets everyone know that you are a committed to putting on a good event for the races for the racers. But the comment about "working the lots of hours for no pay", I understand the hours that go into putting on event, the planning, the effort, missing out on some things along the the way, the headaches of getting things paid for, meeting with town and resort officials, listening to racers complaints; and you do it all for the "love of the sport" while meeting some really good people along the way. Then again it is a business to make money as the bottom line of what you do of putting on events for people to come and enjoy for the race experience. So, yes, you got to pay an "coordinator or director or assistants" for their time. Well, thanks again for the huge effort the POC Eastern State Cup Series, just wish I didn't live 10 plus hours away for the events, I think I might be able to make a few of the races.
Thanks for the kind words, Russelll. I took down the post because after rereading it was a bit self serving and that's not the ESC way. The ESC is not a business. If we look at it that way it will be the beginning of the end. Those that do help are rewarded with free entries, all "income' is returned to the racers. And "that's it".
Our Mission Statement stands as below:

Mission

The ESC mission is simple. The ESC exists to ensure the future of down hill mountain bike racing on the East Coast. There are two main partners in the sport, racers and venues. The ESC works to bring racers and venues together, listen, learn their concerns and act accordingly. The ESC offers a format that they will both be happy with, insuring that Downhill Mountain Bike Racing will continue.

To the racers the ESC offers a variety of venues, great courses and reasonable race fees. At the same time the ESC will offer high quality racing including USAC State and Regional Championships. The ESC will concentrate on keeping the venues within a reasonable geographical area to minimize travel expenses.

The ESC will offer venues an event that is profitable and easy to manage. The ESC will introduce a dedicated group of riders and racers to the venues at each race. The ESC strives to ensure a welcome return to each venue for years to come.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
"The Very Unofficial Gravity South Series”
Feb 19: The Heartbreaker, Super D'ish' Enduro Stylish, more for enjoyable riding fun.
March 10: Beech Mtn, DS
April 14: ETSU DH/DS and pumptrack State Championship FINAL
Nov 17-18: Paris Mtn 2012 DH State Championship

Hope to able to list a few more races, Windrock?, Sugar?, Beech?, etc.
That's a great start. Contact the venues and see if you can formalize it!!

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Please add Nov 4th, 2012 Plattekill Bike Park "Last Chance for Glory". This is not a 2012 POC ESC series race, but the POC ESC will be there in force. Plattekill is cooking up a real good end of season race, details soon !!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Please add Nov 4th, 2012 Plattekill Bike Park "Last Chance for Glory". This is not a 2012 POC ESC series race, but the POC ESC will be there in force. Plattekill is cooking up a real good end of season race, details soon !!
i hope they aren't cooking up chili to go with it.

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
Can you update the post with the state and closest city that each of those are in... It will help me make travel arrangements and my geography skills are bad

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Can you update the post with the state and closest city that each of those are in... It will help me make travel arrangements and my geography skills are bad
Can you also post the exact distance from my house to each race, estimations of gas prices, and the closest dunkin donuts to each venue so I can make travel arrangements. :rolleyes:

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
Really, Charlotte? A map of Charlotte? Yucko, the queen city is a nothing more than a urban bikers paradise. Greenville, SC would be a good map selection.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Any update on GES #1? The Venue page on their site still has a TBD, but the link following the TBD is for Snowshoe. Is it TBD or Snowshoe or?

Did I miss this in this thread somewhere?

Thanks!

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
GES # 1 venue is still to be determined. We were hoping that we would have had this announced by now but sometimes it just takes a while to finalize with the venue and we don't want to put it out there until we have it confirmed. That being said it will be confirmed by the end of next week.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Great! Thanks.

Everybody is trying to get their schedules nailed down. I think the only two unknowns left are the above and what Beech has in store for 2012.

Thanks again.

bigh

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
Omacron Persei 8
Hey George, had a few questions. Whats the minimum number of races to qualify for the overall this year? Also, the first two races are listed as double point, does that mean they are double points for our series or that they count for both esc and progrt? I only ask because I didn't see any info on the esc website. Also because i may have to miss the first platty race and hope I wont be at a missing out on double points. Thanks.

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Hey George, had a few questions. Whats the minimum number of races to qualify for the overall this year? Also, the first two races are listed as double point, does that mean they are double points for our series or that they count for both esc and progrt? I only ask because I didn't see any info on the esc website. Also because i may have to miss the first platty race and hope I wont be at a missing out on double points. Thanks.
Hey bigh,

We eliminated the minimum number to qualify this year. We still won't count every race (drops) tho. The double points are just for the ESC. We should have our series info up on the site this week along with a press release.
Thanks
G