Quantcast

20171129 Wednesday GMT 92117102

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Come on now, give him a break, Do you really expect he could live with a stained Persian carpet? I think not good sir! I'm sure some little Iranian hands are already hard at work weaving a new one.
I wish it was that funny. I'm spending $3k within 6 weeks of buying the house to replace the carpet because it smells so bad. It's so bad in the basement that we have pretty much sealed it off and have not put anything that can absorb smell into it yet. As long as the temp is 40*+ I have the windows and slider open with a fan circulating air all day and some nights. When I pulled up the carpet it looked like pee videos had been filmed down there. I kind of which @Nick could have made it by for Thanksgiving (which ended up a clusterfuck of broken oven - another issue), to prove the point.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I sometimes hate my job.

Alas, not so sure I could make a change and still afford to live.

Dilly of a pickle.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I wish it was that funny. I'm spending $3k within 6 weeks of buying the house to replace the carpet because it smells so bad. It's so bad in the basement that we have pretty much sealed it off and have not put anything that can absorb smell into it yet. As long as the temp is 40*+ I have the windows and slider open with a fan circulating air all day and some nights. When I pulled up the carpet it looked like pee videos had been filmed down there. I kind of which @Nick could have made it by for Thanksgiving (which ended up a clusterfuck of broken oven - another issue), to prove the point.
Oh I feel you. After we bought our house I was rewarded with two bathroom remodels courtesy of something that should have been caught during the inspection but wasn't.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oh I feel you. After we bought our house I was rewarded with two bathroom remodels courtesy of something that should have been caught during the inspection but wasn't.
And... I just pulled up the other half of the carpet. Foundation crack with poor concrete patch that is still very fresh, deep grey. The carpet pad was cut back where the crack is and a replacement section has been taped into place.

That was not disclosed in the seller disclosures, as I just checked. Just called a structural engineer and my agent. This might be getting legal. "As-is" is one thing when the disclosures are accurate. It's completely different when you patch a foundation crack, put down new carpet, then sell the house.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
why do you blame me for forcing all fatbikes to be purged from the charlotte region? you should give me an effing medal!

Chatanooga rocks. awesome rock climbing, paddling & riding nearby but then again its in teh souf :/
yes. it’s terrible here. i hate year-round riding and a good cost of living. please stay away. thank.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
why? I just volunteered to be part of a group that will help us transition from common folders to sharepoint... should I recant?
I don't think that Sharepoint is any more or less of a nightmare than "common folders"... it does have some nice features like check-out/in and modification history. It does, in my experience, turn into just as much of a trash can as common folders if there aren't standards and enforcement, though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
And... I just pulled up the other half of the carpet. Foundation crack with poor concrete patch that is still very fresh, deep grey. The carpet pad was cut back where the crack is and a replacement section has been taped into place.

That was not disclosed in the seller disclosures, as I just checked. Just called a structural engineer and my agent. This might be getting legal. "As-is" is one thing when the disclosures are accurate. It's completely different when you patch a foundation crack, put down new carpet, then sell the house.
I wonder if I can find that thread where I told you not to move. :D

Srsly, though - that sucks... and enjoy the ride, wherever it may take you^H^H^Hus. :popcorn:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

You sure it's cat pee then? Or could your basement have taken on water through this crack?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
yes. it’s terrible here. i hate year-round riding and a good cost of living. please stay away. thank.
I grew up in TN and spent lots of time in chatanooga...yeah where you are is the only place I could live in the South besides asheville, but I wont cuz i dont have to. ;p

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Chatanooga rocks. awesome rock climbing, paddling & riding nearby but then again its in teh souf :/
TBH, that's my biggest hangup. Could probably swing a better schedule, cost of living bonus, out doorsy stuff, etc, just don't know if I could do south of Mason Dixon. Thats a big part of the reason why we didn't move to Nashville.

TBH, that's my biggest hangup. Could probably swing a better schedule, cost of living bonus, out doorsy stuff, etc, just don't know if I could do south of Mason Dixon. Thats a big part of the reason why we didn't move to Nashville.
Having lived in Atlanta while in elementary school, I wouldn't have any hesitation about living in the south. You'd experience hella culture shock, but that's life. There are good and bad people, and the full spectrum between.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Couldn't really be worse than the Springs, now, could it? Wait. Yeah - it could be worse. And the no mountains thing...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
If @stuhlmy can do it, I am sure you'd be fine. I am actually considering moving down south when the time is right myself. :think:
The nature there is beautiful, just a teeny bit moar humid than CO.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Couldn't really be worse than the Springs, now, could it? Wait. Yeah - it could be worse. And the no mountains thing...
True enough. Though to be fair, the springs has come a long way in the last 15 years. I figure it might even make it into the mid 80's by the end of the decade, should the trend continue.

While I'd miss the mountains, the water scene is supposedly pretty good there. I'd happily trade in my skis for a kayak.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I went with my new friend to her volunteer assignment. We held crack babies and preemies in rocking chairs. Sad and rewarding at the same time. They bought us lunch in the cafeteria. It was pretty good. They treated me very nice. I signed up for more.... They are so short staffed that the nurses work 60/70 hours a week on call..... This little black girl would giggle and smile when I rubbed her head. I fell in love with her. She doesn't have a name. How fucked up is that? Her parents have abandoned her. She is so beautiful. I cannot wait to see her again.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I went with my new friend to her volunteer assignment. We held crack babies and preemies in rocking chairs. Sad and rewarding at the same time. They bought us lunch in the cafeteria. It was pretty good. They treated me very nice. I signed up for more.... They are so short staffed that the nurses work 60/70 hours a week on call..... This little black girl would giggle and smile when I rubbed her head. I fell in love with her. She doesn't have a name. How fucked up is that? Her parents have abandoned her. She is so beautiful. I cannot wait to see her again.
When my son was 4 weeks old he was transferred to a regional hospital in Delaware for a pyloromyotomy. The wing we were admitted into included children with terminal conditions and also children who were victims of severe abuse. It was eye opening, and heart breaking. Children who were basically in hospice. Abused children who had no family that visited them; this was what I couldn't fathom - children who were not only abused but abandoned. Thinking about it to this day makes me sick.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Something changed in me when I I held Baby Eve. I cannot explain it. I am pretty sure its Johnsons baby wash smell. Just not sure...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You sure it's cat pee then? Or could your basement have taken on water through this crack?
Trying to sort that out. Structural Engineer is coming out Wednesday. The cement patches were damp, as was the pad and carpet over the crack. Six hours later now, if has largely dried out and the smell has substantially reduced. I'm going to fully air out for the next 2 days then put the carpet back down again and see what happens - Does it stay dry? Does it get moist again?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'll confirm with Henry tomorrow then send you his number.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@Pesqueeb - it's at least worth checking out. I grew up in New England and love it down here. As you well know, there's assholes everywhere . . . having lived in VA and NC, I think that if you're in an urban center or near a university in these parts, you're largely insulated from what you'd consider the negative qualities of the "stereotypical" south.I seriously considered a job in Chattanooga a while back, but I wasn't quite at the level I needed to be professionally to get it. The city has a great location and climate if you like any kind of outdoor activities.