Quantcast

2021-03-28 Sunday 82-30-1202

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I thought this was just to match mound to monkey. Now this has turned into a peeing contest with poop. Typical Americans; everything is a sport.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Internet is back up, mostly. Needed to switch off my Google WiFi network and back to my old Cisco router. The wifi is good through most of the house, but I can't seem to get the LAN lines to work. My office being in a corner of the basement needs a better connection, so not being able to get my LAN to work is problematic.

Baseboards would be done if I hadn't spent 3hrs working on the internet. Not too much left, thankfully.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
My old Tom would play fetch a bit, but apparently not that consistently. My new girl will chase a laser or the end of stick until heat death too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If I even look at the drawer that contains the laser beam, this kitty goes bonkers. Like full wide eyed I will kill shit type of stance

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Re-routed modem> router > splitter vs. modem > splitter > router, the hardlines all work now. Just randomly lost wifi, which is not confidence inspiring, and the signal is not as good as it was. BUT! I have internet going into the work week. Now I need a day off. Ugh.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Is your modem just a modem or is it routing? Is your “router” set up as an access point or a router? How many devices are ladling out address via DHCP here?!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Is your modem just a modem or is it routing? Is your “router” set up as an access point or a router? How many devices are ladling out address via DHCP here?!
Modem = Modem
Router (Linksys ES3500) = Router
Splitter > 8-ports
Devices: 2 comp hardwire, 3 comp wifi, google nest speakers *4 (wifi), printer hardwire (but network), receiver (wifi), 3 tablets, 5 phones, Rachio, and Nest t-stat. I think that's everything... So roughly 20 devices on/connected at all times?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Was going to :fancy: you but checked myself before I wrecked myself — there are 24 active devices on my network right now and wife and kids are out. 2021!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Was going to :fancy: you but checked myself before I wrecked myself — there are 24 active devices on my network right now and wife and kids are out. 2021!

I don't know how I would survive if I couldn't demand a specific volume of personal lube delivered upon voice command despite no knowledge of volume units.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Video of the kitteh playing some fetch @Nick
She will do this until she passes out from being too tired...
One of ours ( the little Irene) does this with a fluff ball on the staircase. Drop it from the top, let it roll down, run down to grab it, carry it back up. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you want to feel better I just realized I forgot the Chromecasts, so 2 more of those. Still not 24 though.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Modem = Modem
Router (Linksys ES3500) = Router
Splitter > 8-ports
Devices: 2 comp hardwire, 3 comp wifi, google nest speakers *4 (wifi), printer hardwire (but network), receiver (wifi), 3 tablets, 5 phones, Rachio, and Nest t-stat. I think that's everything... So roughly 20 devices on/connected at all times?
I’m guessing that Comcast just doles out one IP per connection. So modem —> switch —> multiple computers would result in only the first device that pulls an IP working.

Sounds like you have a subpar wireless router. If I were you I’d pop on over to Micro Center and buy one of these:

WiFi 6 (but not E) so future proof. Good coverage in my experience. I like or at least am used to ASUS’s interface. If your neighborhood ever gets fiber it’s easy to set it up with that without Qwest/CenturyLink hardware needed.