Quantcast

2023 MSA World Cup

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Anybody else watching this XC running race? OMG! Of those who aren't just pushing their bikes many are descending at pedestrian (and lower) pace.
[edit] U23 W so maybe I'm being a bit harsh on 'em but it's pretty dismal to watch.
Maybe worse for the women, earlier U23 men wasn't too much running involved. Just a few spots/lap.
Looked pretty sketchy in the rocks, some big wrecks.

Way to crush it from the start for Riley Amos. Another bad ass from Durango. :thumb:

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Really curious as to what the “sponsor bullshit” happened to Kade to keep him from racing.
Yeah. shit needs called out
Gonna miss that dude's riding at the WCs as much if not more so than if any of the top 10 riders were to leave.

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

poor finn. but what a standup guy. wyn needed to give that dude a hug.
I agree,I,we could see the Pain. I think it was frustration of the highest level. Even if he had his best run,Bruni would have to place 20th or higher for him to win right?

Avy

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Two lights on Loic's bike now - one on the button, one on the stem.
Wasn't one supposed to be an indicator for him to know if he was up or down at the splits?

What a bonkers DH race. The juniors and womens was chaos - I've never seen so many crashes or incidents in a race before. Bad day to be a rear wheel.

Nina's finish line wheel explosion was just fucken bonkers.

All the whinging aside, the camera work Discovery has brought to the DH is bonkers good.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Really curious as to what the “sponsor bullshit” happened to Kade to keep him from racing.
Some people have noticed he has been running bontrager tires not sharpied out and he rides for pirelli so maybe that?

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If you watch what he says with Wyn, it sounds like he just doesn't care so didn't race. Sponsor probably said do A, he wanted to do B, so they both end up losing.

And he's not racing next year.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just finished watching the xco, terrible conditions, great wins in the women's and men's.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Tire Gate 2023.

Loic was running Sharpie Contis at Snowshoe.
BK and crew were giving him shit.
Yeah,with the matter of Tires and Contract’s. How is it possible to get away with cheating on Tires with modern media? Actually,since Birth riders have been cheating,so I guess the Sponsors accept it?

We are paying you. The.Bike you ride will have our tires. There is no option B.

I understand the problem.However, they put their name on the contract. Period.

There aint but fucking 4 or 5 companies. So they can’t find a way to see if Bruni is correct? Or whomever? What a head scratcher?

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah,with the matter of Tires and Contract’s. How is it possible to get away with cheating on Tires with modern media? Actually,since Birth riders have been cheating,so I guess the Sponsors accept it?

We are paying you. The.Bike you ride will have our tires. There is no option B.

I understand the problem.However, they put their name on the contract. Period.

There aint but fucking 4 or 5 companies. So they can’t find a way to see if Bruni is correct? Or whomever? What a head scratcher?

Avy
Avy. Your almost schizo ability to flit from being that oldskool DH fan who's been following the sport since day one to a completely naive noob is at times simply breathtaking.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Avy. Your almost schizo ability to flit from being that oldskool DH fan who's been following the sport since day one to a completely naive noob is at times simply breathtaking.
So sorry Brother,it must be frustating. The fact that you replied to my insanity feels good,and I thank you.

I am afraid to say I still don’t understand this Tire problem? I understand everything,save for: Why is it ok for the riders to not run their Tires when they are payed todo so? Do they get a fine? Do they get anything for not playing by the rules? Or does it not matter and do what they want?

We all know that Tires are the most hidden sponsor,I would say cranks would be number two on the list. Very bold thing todo as Cranks stand out. However,FSA is fucking garbage and we all know there was a lot of switching going on there.

I remember a Bike add for Saint cranks with Wade and Vandy? Way back with the 900 first series. I am looking at the add and see they both have Race Face Cranks? Nothing wrong with that,but the add was for Saint. So I called them up and said hey! You got Wade on a Saint add with RaceFace Cranks in the picture? Really? Yes,just thought I’d let you know. It was easy to see it was RFace in the picture. Not some long distance shot no one could tell,for all you Haters. Mind you,you would have tobe a Bike Geek to catch it.

Avy

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
So sorry Brother,it must be frustating. The fact that you replied to my insanity feels good,and I thank you.

I am afraid to say I still don’t understand this Tire problem? I understand everything,save for: Why is it ok for the riders to not run their Tires when they are payed todo so? Do they get a fine? Do they get anything for not playing by the rules? Or does it not matter and do what they want?

We all know that Tires are the most hidden sponsor,I would say cranks would be number two on the list. Very bold thing todo as Cranks stand out. However,FSA is fucking garbage and we all know there was a lot of switching going on there.

I remember a Bike add for Saint cranks with Wade and Vandy? Way back with the 900 first series. I am looking at the add and see they both have Race Face Cranks? Nothing wrong with that,but the add was for Saint. So I called them up and said hey! You got Wade on a Saint add with RaceFace Cranks in the picture? Really? Yes,just thought I’d let you know. It was easy to see it was RFace in the picture. Not some long distance shot no one could tell,for all you Haters. Mind you,you would have tobe a Bike Geek to catch it.

Avy
Depends on what is in their contract.
Many of the top riders will sign with a tire company and put a clause in their contract that reserves the right to race on unbranded competitor tires if the athlete deems the sponsor product not good enough. Since they are helping develop a new tire and the sponsor agrees in writing then there is a bit of wiggle room. I saw a couple of the top guys this summer running a Conti and Maxxis combo when they are sponsored but someone else.

Since Pirelli has an unproven track record and is actively developing tire with the riders they probably gave them a few years of flexibility in order to get the tread patterns developed. Every contract is different and nobody knows exactly what they signed up for.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Avy
I'm sure some teams and brands don't care or they just look the other way when other branded tires are used. Like with Loic, his value of taking wins is probably way higher than the value of him running whatever tires he's supposed to be using.

For Kade, maybe not so much. He is not winning any races, but there will be lots of pictures of him. Maybe his team or Trek is super strict about that stuff, who knows? Maybe they told him he won't be paid if he goes out there with those tires, again who knows?

:edit: buckow knows. :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Has the "Pirelli rumour" started by a random Pinkbike comment been confirmed by Kade? (or anyone else who actually knows the truth)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Has the "Pirelli rumour" started by a random Pinkbike comment been confirmed by Kade? (or anyone else who actually knows the truth)
Wasn't the chat that he'd totalled his RB helmet and didn't have a spare? He's like contractually obliged to only race in the RB helmet or something.

The tyre thing is daft - no one on the team is running Pirellis are they? They're all just blacked out the logo of whatever they did run in their race runs. Surely Kade wouldn't care about blacking a logo

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just listened to the pinkbike podcast on the way home from work and Henry pretty much confirmed that yeah he crashed and blew through all his 100% helmets.

So he borrowed a Fox helmet from Jackson and was then told its no go. And then couple with that that there are no other 100% red bull helmets at the race.