Quantcast

20mm?

pop

Chimp
Aug 27, 2006
well iv got a bit of a problem: i dont know how to take of and put on my 20mm front wheel. its not that im a noob but iv never had to do it before:confused:

Jay

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You got to learn someway. Besides loosing the fork clamps around axle, the caps on the end of the axle are holding it in.

The trick is, every manufacturer does it very differently. I believe Fox you do not remove one side or you strip it. Manitou's axle is 6 sided on one end.

The only 20mm axle fork I have is a 2004 Marzocchi. I believe after loosening the clamp bolts on the fork, you needa 5mm to unscrew both caps...

And even Marzocchi has changed this around...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just from looking at it, it appears that you have to unscrew the bolts holding that silver face plate on, probably just enough to loosen them (I doubt you have to back them out all the way). Then unscrew the big axle and slide it out.

The deal is that you want to loosen the clamping force on the axle before you unscrew it. Those silver face plates are clamping on the axle, so loosen them by whatever mechanism they're clamped on, then unscrew the 20mm axle and slide it out.