Quantcast

20s later and I was racin BMX again but OUCH!

RayBan

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Illinois
Hi monkeys, I haven't been around because I ran I forgot I have to keep the rubber side down! This past weekend the weather finally cooperated and the freetime was available to get back on the track for the 1st time since the early 80's. An added bonus was my 7yr old wanted to check it out too. Well he got a bit spooked going over the big jumps and I definetly didn't want him to not enjoy it so I told him to do it someother time and just watch Dad race his cruiser today. Well that didn't happen either. during practice I felt surprisingly smooth going thru the rythem sections, but On one of the gate start practices I "think" I lost it on a step up jump Next thing I remember I'm in a nearby hospital being informed I need to have emergency jaw surgery and it's going to be wired shut 4 to 6 weeks! At this point I've got the marvels of modern medicine flowing thru my sytem so I wasn't as wigged out as I would have been if they said that today. End result is a broken jaw,thats wired shut, concussion, left arm/wrist with 5 breaks(I'm left handed)in a nice red cast with the Van Halen logo drawn on by my lovely wife, sprained right wrist, and 16 stitches in the jaw. Good news is my 7yr old isn't spooked out of riding because I was smart enough to tell him it was perfectly ok that he did't want to (wasn't ready to) race that day.There will be many other times to do that

Instant vacation - but what a price to pay
Haven't checked the bike out yet but my guess is it's OK... Modern day bikes are built tough it's the older riders who refuse to grow up that aren't !

You know what else sucks? NOBODY caught it on film
Ray :o:

steve

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Ghetto Hell
Holy CRAP! Good luck with your healing. You don't even remember the crash?! Crazy.

I've been doing a bit of bmx racing myself lately and it's been interesting with the amount of bumping and blocking that goes on. BMX racing is fun but dangerous. Take care and enjoy those hamburger shakes. ;)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Daaaaaamn Dude, that all sounds painful! Happy healing. We'll add you to the unjured monkey list.