Quantcast

22.1*

Kaleid

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Nashua, NH
I've historically been a 'fair-weather rider' so today was my first excursion out in less than ideal conditions.

I had planned and prepared pretty well, but discovered a few things.

#1) Do not leave your camelback in the car overnight. Riding without water sucks

#2) No matter how many layers you have on your legs, arms, torso, head - your toes and fingers still get way too freaking cold

#3) hyro brakes can freeze up

#4) mechanical assemblies get sluggish (rear suspension, drivetrain, shifting)

#5) Any day on the trail is a GOOD day :thumb:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I used to do winter rides, up until last Feb, when I moved away from Chicago to warmer weather, here is some tips,
*Layers
*leather snomobile gloves (work better than most winter cycling gloves)
* a good winter shoe (I have a pair of lake mxz 300, they rock)
*wool or neoprene socks
* Insulate your camelback tube
*buy a lower grade helmet for winter riding(less vents)
*don't let yourself overheat you should be chilly before you start your ride, If your toasty when you start if you ride any distance you'll probally burn-up and Bonk, and nothing is more miserable than bonking in subfreezing weather.

good luck and enjoy the cold...

Kaleid

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Nashua, NH
Wow. I've been shopping for Studded tires. Very limited availability out there.

Seems you can go the $35 Nashbar route or the $100 Nokian.

I have not been attracted to the limited studs or tread pattern on the Nashbar brand, and simply don't want to spend 2 bills on the Nokians. Figured I may get lucky on eBay.

Went on a LBS tour today, around Manchester NH, and ended up at Naults - they had studded tires, with 268 studs for $45. Sweet!

I figure on my next chilly ride I'll use my snowboarding gloves - still not sure what I want to do for my feet.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
punkassean said:
yeah.... it's gonna hit 83º today here in lovely SB :eek:
Nice to know I'm coming home for some good weather.

It was 70 something in Santa Clara today, made for some great riding.

You are the man for sticking it out at 22 degrees...yikes!

The Ito

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Yeah, I was really sweating on San Ysidro and Romero today. Boy was it a warm one :D

You coming out west this summer Chaz?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I wasn't riding on Friday, I was out shooting a wildfire in Ventura, it was at least 120* hotter than your winter ride. Anyway I had a little shoe meltage, so today I went surfing in the morning followed by an hour or so riding in Malibu. Living in socal is tough!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I watched the fire in Ventura while sitting at Ledbetter beach sipping on some brews speccing the wimmens. It looked pretty big but it was under control fast, I could tell by the color of the smoke. It was dark black and then white.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BigMike said:
Wow, you're a trooper!

I dunno if I could ride if it was 22 degrees outside........
It is not as hard as you think. After you get going, you are taking off layers.

My trick, besides good booties, I had a pair of neoprene socks. I also dressed so I was a little chilly before a ride started, so I warmed up nicely.

Kaleid

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Nashua, NH
maxyedor said:
Also put plastic sandwich bags, non ziplock, over your toes, it works suprisingly well and lets your smelly feet vent out the back of your shoe.

This sounds like it may help - BUT coming from SoCal, I don't know if you're serious

splat

Nam I am
Getting ready to go out. its a death march sunday ! 25 degrees here ! Should be fun!

the keys are Layers
Neopreen Socks, Long underware. , Polypropelene , a BMX helmet , good gloves and to keep pedaling. and when it gets really cold, throw a neck warmer , googles too.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ Just let me know when you'll be coming exactly and I'll get some time off. The trails here are great but NOTHING like SC at all.