Quantcast

22.4 mm bars

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Who makes handlebars with a 22.2 mm stem-clamp diameter that are lighter than Atomlab GI series? Anyone make aluminium 22.2 mm bars?

Thanks.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
good question. i'm running the GIs b/c that's about all that's out there at the time. they are heavy but I do like them a lot...

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
The answer to your question: Atomlab does! I'm running Atomlabs (last year) Aircorp stainless steel bars, which are a bit lighter than the GI bars (I think around 100g), and I've been very pleased with them thus far. I haven't come across any Alum 22.2 bars yet. Atomlabs new sight has a new "race" bar 4130 bar, while this years Aircorp bar appears to have dropped the stainless steel in lieu of 4130... Hmm. Regarless, I like the bmx bend of these bars, as well as the fact that steel is for real. (Not hating on AL bars, I run them as well, but I "worry" less about a catastropic failure with steel...)

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
The answer to your question: Atomlab does! I'm running Atomlabs (last year) Aircorp stainless steel bars, which are a bit lighter than the GI bars (I think around 100g), and I've been very pleased with them thus far. I haven't come across any Alum 22.2 bars yet. Atomlabs new sight has a new "race" bar 4130 bar, while this years Aircorp bar appears to have dropped the stainless steel in lieu of 4130... Hmm. Regarless, I like the bmx bend of these bars, as well as the fact that steel is for real. (Not hating on AL bars, I run them as well, but I "worry" less about a catastropic failure with steel...)
In the past AtomLab made a set of GI bars with a thinner wall, but this year they dont. I wonder if the race bars are the thin walled GI bars with a different name...?

The Jesme CIG bars look interesting too. I just dont know if I want / need / will like the 3" rise.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, unfortunately there is not a lot out there. I went through the same thing the other day. You might want to check out the new Jesme Cig bars. They are listed at 420 grams, which is pretty light for steel (I think they had the old ones listed at like 600). I ended up going with 25.4 Sic bars and stem... to keep the weight down and get the 3" rise that I want.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
From what I've heard, lighter steel bars have a tendancy to bend quite easily. esp sans cross bar. I think that's why there aren't a lot of lightweight options out there right now...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
From what I've heard, lighter steel bars have a tendancy to bend quite easily. esp sans cross bar. I think that's why there aren't a lot of lightweight options out there right now...
That's believable. But, I wonder what's the excuse for so few, or, um, no aluminum bars in 22.4?? Sounds like discrimination against BMX to me. :brow:

Jul 1, 2006
Chicago
The best aluminum 22.2 bars I've found are RooX. Nice and thick, and I put them through the ringer with no problems. I ran them on my Molly, and they were great, really good sweep and rise. I have a second set on my wife's commuter. I bought both on eBay.

Chip

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Who makes handlebars with a 22.2 mm stem-clamp diameter that are lighter than Atomlab GI series? Anyone make aluminium 22.2 mm bars?

Thanks.
We currently have 3 different version's of a 22.2mm handle bar in the works the material is at our bender right now , they should be available before the middle of February .
these bars are made from custom drawn True-Temper material and will be much stronger than your average .065 wall bar .

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
What would be the point of going thick walled AL over thin walled steel??? You're going to end up at or past the same point.
I just pulled off my Deity's(don't tell Eric!) and Thompson 4X stem last night and slapped on the GI bars and stem and lost weight. Don't remember how much because I forgot to write it down and I'm NOT doing it again.
I dunno, I guess to me once something is weighed in grams and not pounds, it's light enough to not fugging notice!

Iamironman

Chimp
Dec 11, 2006
Houston-town?
Hey Brad, how bout post some info on those bars and stems so I can place an order. I am interested in your new stuff but info is sparse.
yaahhrr :pirate2:

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Hey Brad, how bout post some info on those bars and stems so I can place an order. I am interested in your new stuff but info is sparse.
yaahhrr :pirate2:
Ok we have 3 different bars in the works right now
All the bars are CNC mandrel bent by the same company who does all the bending for people like Flowmaster :shocked:

SWAY BARS: 1.75 rise or 2.60 rise
28'in width , 4 degrees upsweep , 7 degrees back-sweep
Made from custom drawn Heat-Treat True-Temper OX platinum

T bars : Designed by team Rider David Thacker
rise :TBD ??
4 upsweep , 10 back sweep
We also have a cool little surprise that is included with these bars but were not telling just yet !

Bars will be available by the middle to end of February

Stems :31.8 free-ride version which has been pictured here previously . I have been very pleased with the samples and we are going into production with this design , this will be a good stem for guys running longer 7+ single crown free-ride forks that are used to the stiffness of a triple crown with integrated stem .

25.4/22.2 : This stem is currently in the works and will be a nice compliment to any of our new bars

Both the stems will be available by SeaOtter

The website was hacked by Moroccan terrorist on MLK day and we are currently in the process of switching to a new web hosting service , look for the new site to launch shortly with pictures of all the new products and a extensive team rider page .

If you would like to be put on the waiting list for any of these products , please email me at
Brad(at)nemesisproject(dot)com
we will be notifing waiting list customers via email as soon as these products arive in stock and are ready to ship . Waiting list customers will get first grabs at these new limited run products .

thanks
Brad

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
OOOOH! OOH! I know what it is! Pick me! Pick me! If I PM you with my suspiscion, do I get a free bar???? Did I spell suspscion wrong? Yep, I think I did... Crap... TWICE!

Sure guess away ! No free bars though :disgust:
and i'm not sure how you spell suspecision ??

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
What are you going to go with in the way of colors? I wish someone would leave it to the customer's choice. Once it got rolling(and I understand batches and quantity discounts) it should be just as cheap to make a bar red as it is to make one black. Damn I'm hating black these days. Is there a less committed color??? I'm digging the raw cromo stuff, get a little moisture on 'em then clear coat them! Nuthin like weld discolorations and rust to say "Beat me!"
Seriously though, more color options? Red, white, Blah-ck, blue, green, whatever....

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
What are you going to go with in the way of colors? I wish someone would leave it to the customer's choice. Once it got rolling(and I understand batches and quantity discounts) it should be just as cheap to make a bar red as it is to make one black. Damn I'm hating black these days. Is there a less committed color??? I'm digging the raw cromo stuff, get a little moisture on 'em then clear coat them! Nuthin like weld discolorations and rust to say "Beat me!"
Seriously though, more color options? Red, white, Blah-ck, blue, green, whatever....
Powdercoated to match your Nemesis Project frame :shocked:
I'm not doing gloss black , red , white etc. unless a specific customer request it , I got some really neat and orignal Nem Pro colors for the production bars .

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
all our new bars are going to be made from TrueTemper OX platinum ( IE: chromoly steel )
Brad,

What type of heat treat are those bars going to be subject to? Chromium-molybdenum alloy steels are not much better than plain old steel without the proper heat treat.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
My guess is that they prob know what they're doing.
not talking about brad by any means, but in the bike industry i think you'd be surprised how many dont have the foggiest clue as to what they are doing. great examples: Both mavic and real trying to cryo-treat aluminium parts. pure idiocy!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Gotcha. SEEMS to be working for Mavic, though... Technically, treating is just rearranging the metals molecules. Aluminum begins treating itself the second it leaves the extrusion press, or is released from a mold. Cryo might just allow the molecules to settle a bit more, make a more stable finished product. One of the reasons I get so irrate when peeps start yelling and screaming about "you can't PC your rims, it takes out the heat treating!" Wanna climb through the screen and start slappin!
AL also starts deteriorating the second it begins aging. Perhaps the cro slows this process?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Gotcha. SEEMS to be working for Mavic, though... Technically, treating is just rearranging the metals molecules. Aluminum begins treating itself the second it leaves the extrusion press, or is released from a mold. Cryo might just allow the molecules to settle a bit more, make a more stable finished product. One of the reasons I get so irrate when peeps start yelling and screaming about "you can't PC your rims, it takes out the heat treating!" Wanna climb through the screen and start slappin!
AL also starts deteriorating the second it begins aging. Perhaps the cro slows this process?
Metal is not comprised of molecules and cryo treating has no effect on aluminium. Take my word for it; I know first hand.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
not talking about brad by any means, but in the bike industry i think you'd be surprised how many dont have the foggiest clue as to what they are doing. great examples: Both mavic and real trying to cryo-treat aluminium parts. pure idiocy!
The bars are made from Ox platinum which technically isn't chromonly it's a different alloy which has air hardening properties .
This material is normally reserved for welded applications but with a low temperature heat-treat the bars will harden and retain a stronger yield strength that standard straight gauge 4130 material .

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
I hope you guys like them...They should be a great bar that will work in about any application...