Quantcast

22 incher?

Oct 24, 2001
Az
I'm about 6' tall, 225lbs and after feeling totally unstable riding on a 20" have begun to ride my slalom bike with 24" wheels at the local parks and some street.

Iwas wondering if anyone had ever seen a 22" frame/bike design. It would seem to be more stable than a 20" while not as akward as a cruiser, and would still allow barspins etc more easily.

In all of Schwinn's briliance, they did try a 22" tire for a while.
But other than that I haven't seen anyone of quality try it. Some Magna crappy Walmart bikes have 22"ers.

Someoen correct me if I am wrong here, butI don't think that enough engineering has gone into a 22" wheeled bike that you'd want to bash around on.

Good luck.

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
yup, ive never seen a 22" and even if there was, i dont think i would get it. as for size, you will be finnne on 20", brian castello is like 6'4" or something and hhhe rides a regular 20" BMX, with a 21 or 21.5 tt and he has no problem...part of the reason he is a pro. look iinto a BMX with a longer top tube. if you just ride for a while, you dhould get used to it, it takes some timeafter switching from MTB, but you should gget the hang of 20s

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by rideoncycle.com
I'm about 6' tall, 225lbs and after feeling totally unstable riding on a 20" have begun to ride my slalom bike with 24" wheels at the local parks and some street.

Iwas wondering if anyone had ever seen a 22" frame/bike design. It would seem to be more stable than a 20" while not as akward as a cruiser, and would still allow barspins etc more easily.
I would stay with the 24"....you just need some time to get adjusted. You can buy parts that can make your ride more comfortable, but it's kind of trial and error.....D

Sep 10, 2001
Just find something that has a 21in top tube... I am 6-1 200lbs and love my DK Legacy... I figure Chris Doyle is 6-4 and he designed it so it should do me well..
:monkey:

Oct 24, 2001
Az
Thanks for all the input. I'm more inclined to stick with the 24 setup for now, it's easier to jump back and forth from my DH bike. Besides it's scary fun riding w/ front suspension it in the vert ramp.

I guess I was wondering if any BMX companies had ever experimented with a 22" bike concept.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I always used to ride my Brooklyn Park Bike like a BMX. I was starting to break a lot of parts. So I decided to buy a Volume Compton. I got used to it and I was able to do all the same moves - 180s down stair sets, 360 tailtaps, abubacas and fufanus. I wasn't breaking any parts but I realized when I rode the Brooklyn I could do everything BETTER on that bike (even the things I learned on the BMX). So now I am selling the BMX and putting some money into stronger parts for the Brooklyn.

The moral of the story: Ride what you are comfortable with, if that is a 24" wheeled slalom bike so be it. By the way. I am 6'4" just like Matt Berringer, Castillo, etc there's no reason I wouldn't be able to ride a BMX it's just not what I'm comfortable on.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
these are cool i would like it if they shortened up the back end on that frame tho
yeah i talked to the Faction guys and they are prototyping a new frame that will have a shorter back end (a long with a few other slight adjustments).

check this out though. 1995 American-made Hoffman TAJ has exactly the same cs length (15.25") as the Faction...(edit: that was cuz the wheel was pulled back, i took a link out and it is now 14 3/8" on the Taj):

don't hate on the seatpost, i've already switched it.

Last edited: