Quantcast

224 on the wall.951 coming.Need to know a couple things.

SCARY

Not long enough
Thanks for all the suggestions on the other thread.
The 951 seems to be the best choice for me as it fit most of my criteria the best.I'm getting ot with the cane creek double barrel.
Just wanting to know if those with experience on the bike what extra parts or bearings I might need to order.Also the guy at intense suggested a 450 spring rate.I'm 185 lbs,5'11",love puppies and walks on the beach.But just want real world advice.It's made in AMERICA!(f*** YEAH!!)And it's only costing me a buck-o-five!

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Just wanting to know if those with experience on the bike what extra parts or bearings I might need to order.
A big bottle of blue Loctite and some wire to keep your pivot bolts from backing themselves out......

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
rofl, do people actually do that? thats the raddest thing I've ever heard.
Yes, people do. At least, I had to when I was in Whistler a couple weeks ago. (Upper link pivot bolts on my M6 kept backing themselves out after a couple runs despite having thoroughly cleaned all hardware/frame surfaces and Loctite'd prior)

Wire works better than zip-ties (because you don't have to cut anything to re-tighten a bolt).

Totally hokey, I know, but that's the way it works...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Or leave the loctite on that comes from assembly, and do not grease them like some do.

Scary, all you need is to do neck raises to strengthen up to hang all the medals on ya.

I have not seen you ride in 10 years, but 450 on a CCDB might be alright, I saw 2 dudes at tahoe GRT that looked about 175-185, on CCDBs, and both had 450# springs. Butch nailed it though, ask the canecreek guys, they have walked numerous 951 customers into super dialing their bikes.

SCARY

Not long enough
Scary, all you need is to do neck raises to strengthen up to hang all the medals on ya.

Ya hear that Butch?!Stik thinks I'm makin a comeback!I know they hire 40+riders.Tell JD to watch himself ,my kit and bike matching abilities are way above his.
It's great to have somebody have such faith in their product .But the only "medal"around my neck is holding my shoulder together.
You're not supposed to drinking on the job - I think it may actually be illegal.
---But may explain the 29r downhill bike.AaaaOOow !!OHH!!badump-bump!
Ok..I'll go back to work now

SCARY

Not long enough
Does this mean you'll be growing the golden locks of Larry again...the flowing "it's not a mullet" mane out? :shocked:
Hells yeah!If I'm gonna do it right ,I gotta rock it.(Although ,last time I got in a little trouble with some skinny dude,cuz his old lady was all up in the mane with her paws and couldn't keep her off.Happened alot,that's why I had to walk away from the scene for awhile.I was chaos,dude.......what ...was that chicks name?.......Lee?..........Donoban?...Donalvan?.......ehh ..whatever.Good times.Gooood times.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
I have seen a couple nasty pics of the front triangle breaking. You better do your research before you buy

SCARY

Not long enough
I've broken an intense M1 and a Foes DH Mono back in the day....then I learned how to ride a bike.They all can break,it's true.If it becomes an epidemic, I trust intense enough to make it right.
Look up Orange 224 reviews.They either say "greatest race bike ever" or "Ive seen 9 224s' broken in half in one weekend " There is very little In the middle.I know this is a lightweight race bike,I can't ride it like Bender.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Scary....don't listen to the haters, that frame was admittedly abused by the owner, and this was before he sended it, bender-style off a cliff into a boulder.

You are going to love that bike, just like the thousands before you.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I know this guy, that has a brother, who has a friend, who's related to this girl, that is going out with this guy, and he says that he broke 2 951 frames just by looking at them. True story.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Good luck. They are great looking bikes but I will always be leery of any frame marked FRO with its skinny light metal and supposed life span of 1 year

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Good luck. They are great looking bikes but I will always be leery of any frame marked FRO with its skinny light metal and supposed life span of 1 year
It was my understanding that the FRO designation pertains to geometry now. Not wall thickness as it used to...

Or maybe it still does? Their tires are labeled FRO too... ;)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The 951 frame isnt that light. Mine was 10.2 lbs with a Roco and Obtainium spring. It corners like no other bike Ive owned and sticks to the ground like crazy.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Oh, and you will dig the 951! I love mine, took a run or two to get use to the lower BB then I was used to. I'm digging mine, corners great, jumps great, you will not be disappointed with it.