Quantcast

24" BMX Battle

Fred2726

Chimp
Apr 26, 2011
I'm looking to buy a new 24" BMX Cruiser in my advanced age. Mostly going to be used to ride around town and skatepark / dirtjump every now and then with my son. Right now I have a 24" General Lee and want something with a little newer geometry. Also looking to spend around $550 or so.

Let me know what you think or which you'd buy and why!

I think that its narrowed down between:

Sunday Model C Ex - I like the geo, don't like that its not all Cromo

WTP Avenger - all Cromo love / hate the look of it. Hard to find exact geo (looks similar to Model C.)

Specialized P.24 - all cromo with a little lower bottom bracket height. Maybe a little closer to the Liquid geo which everyone seems to love. Weighing in at 26.5 pounds it may be the lightest.

With that said, I don't have anywhere to test ride the Sunday or WTP. Did ride the Specialized P.24 and was very impressed with it.

Thanks
Fred

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I'm looking to buy a new 24" BMX Cruiser in my advanced age. Mostly going to be used to ride around town and skatepark / dirtjump every now and then with my son. Right now I have a 24" General Lee and want something with a little newer geometry. Also looking to spend around $550 or so.

Let me know what you think or which you'd buy and why!

I think that its narrowed down between:

Sunday Model C Ex - I like the geo, don't like that its not all Cromo

WTP Avenger - all Cromo love / hate the look of it. Hard to find exact geo (looks similar to Model C.)

Specialized P.24 - all cromo with a little lower bottom bracket height. Maybe a little closer to the Liquid geo which everyone seems to love. Weighing in at 26.5 pounds it may be the lightest.

With that said, I don't have anywhere to test ride the Sunday or WTP. Did ride the Specialized P.24 and was very impressed with it.

Thanks
Fred
If you were willing to do a custom build I would say start with the new Sunday Wave C frame or the Liquid frame . . . . but since you're going for a complete, I would say the P24 is probably the best.

If your General Lee is from several years ago, it won't be very good to switch parts over to a frame for several reasons. First, 39-17 gearing will be too big, because 28t or smaller is what you need in the front for new school frames. Second, the American bottom bracket and 8-spline fat spindle won't fit in a mid or spanish bottom bracket. So you're better off selling the General Lee complete and buying another complete or doing a custom build.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52714&scid=1004&scname=Dirt%2FPark%2FStreet

*Lightweight 24" Reynolds 520 Cr-Mo cruiser frame with 21.6" top tube, integrated headset, MID BB, and removable brake bosses/guides has dialed geos for dirt, park, or street
*P. Series butted Cr-Mo fork with tapered steerer is light, but strong enough to handle going big
*36-hole double-wall rims are laced to a cartridge-bearing, low flange 3/8" axle front hub and 14mm hollow axle 10t cassette for the best balance of high strength and light weight
*High volume and impact-absorbing Specialized Rhythm Lite 2.2" tires give you the versatility to ride dirt or street
*Lightweight plastic platform pedals take mercy on your shins, but remain strong enough to handle even the harshest landing
*Big 7-1/2" x 29" Cr-Mo handlebars make your set-up current and give you more leverage and control
*3-piece tubular Cr-Mo crankset with cartridge-bearing MID BB lets you boost as high as you like; 25t CNC-cut chainring improves clearance, resists bending, and cuts weight
*One-piece saddle/post combo can take a serious beating and is the lightest set-up possible

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
The best $$ for value is the Specialized, IMO. I've been looking at a lot of 24's lately, comparing each complete.

The Sunday gets a zero vote from me because it's not a full chromo frame. The other bike, as you mentioned doesn't have much information on the geometry... It seems that a few of the people on this site have the WTP and don't like the hubs, as they are hard to adjust with their loose ball bearings.

If you rode the P24 and like it, I say go for it.

Fred2726

Chimp
Apr 26, 2011
Let's hear some feedback on the 2011 We The People Avenger. From what I can find it looks like a direct fit for a Liquid frame down the road
if I decide to do so.

Anyone riding one right now? How do you like it ?

Fred

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
The specialized comes with far better components, IMO. Sealed hubs vs. loose ball hubs on the WTP.

The frame is way too small on the WTP. How are people doing x-ups/barspins on these short top tube frames?

Honestly, if all you are doing is pedaling around and jumping curbs, get the bike that you like best.....

Fred2726

Chimp
Apr 26, 2011
The specialized comes with far better components, IMO. Sealed hubs vs. loose ball hubs on the WTP.

The frame is way too small on the WTP. How are people doing x-ups/barspins on these short top tube frames?

Honestly, if all you are doing is pedaling around and jumping curbs, get the bike that you like best.....

Yes, the Specialized seems very well spec'd out.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
ive heard from my former co-worker (that works at a spec dealer) that the p.24 rides very much like a dj MTB, and that he hated riding it, yet loves my liquid

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
ive heard from my former co-worker (that works at a spec dealer) that the p.24 rides very much like a dj MTB, and that he hated riding it, yet loves my liquid
Huh. that's weird, cause mtb's have horrible (IMO) head tube angles and that P24 has a steep HT, which should make it more responsive then a mtb.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Let's hear some feedback on the 2011 We The People Avenger. From what I can find it looks like a direct fit for a Liquid frame down the road
if I decide to do so.

Anyone riding one right now? How do you like it ?

Fred
Hi,
I built up a Sunday ModelC with TT 21.25. It's plenty big enough for my 6'2" frame.
The raised bb means having a longer TT causes you to reach forward more.
My friend has the WTP and it is virtually identical to my Sunday in geometry.
We've both rode the Specialized P24 as well and it has a slightly longer TT and lower bb ut there's not much in it.
For me, I'd go with the WTP for the money.

Fred2726

Chimp
Apr 26, 2011
Hi,
I built up a Sunday ModelC with TT 21.25. It's plenty big enough for my 6'2" frame.
The raised bb means having a longer TT causes you to reach forward more.
My friend has the WTP and it is virtually identical to my Sunday in geometry.
We've both rode the Specialized P24 as well and it has a slightly longer TT and lower bb ut there's not much in it.
For me, I'd go with the WTP for the money.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm leaning that direction. Worst case is I ride the WTP and then down the road pick up the Liquid frame and move everything over.

Thanks
Fred

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the feedback! I'm leaning that direction. Worst case is I ride the WTP and then down the road pick up the Liquid frame and move everything over.

Thanks
Fred
Or you buy a Model C wave frame and swap across....
The key to the higher BB is to buy higher bars, simples...

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
If you're coming from a cruiser frame go with something from a BMX company. I personally hate the feel of the Sunday geo because I've been running MTB DJ frames for so long, but I think it will be more to your liking.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Ok, I'm going to buy that Specialized and then we can have a REAL battle!

meet me by the flagpole at 2:30!

(seriously though, i'm buying that bike)

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks
Fred
Your front foot doesn't get in the way of x-ups/front tire?

Nope, as I don't do x-ups! Old fart nowadays so just like the smooth stuff!

what?
Seriously. Can you really tell the difference.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Ok, I'm going to buy that Specialized and then we can have a REAL battle!

meet me by the flagpole at 2:30!

(seriously though, i'm buying that bike)
Must say, it is a nice bike for the money. Very close thing between them all. At last we have a choice!

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
guys, $300 for a used Fit CR24? I'm kind of bored of 26, want a change and was thinking bmx, but when i had a bmx last year, it felt good but too small. would the 24 bmx be the way to go?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
from cruiserrevolution.com.....

super Sick!

Maybe we need a separate thread for stuff like this?

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
awesome vid :)

and while we are on topic
what are strong and light 24" rims?

so far i am leaning towards single tracks, any other options i should consider?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I've been running single tracks for a while, they're decent. Not the strongest though, I've had to rebuild one of my wheels already.