Quantcast

24 hour solo singlespeed at Idyllwild

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego
The MTBR singlespeed forum sent me here for some solo 24 hour advice. I've been racing single speeds for a while, but I'm looking for things like food replacement that has worked well for long events, things to bring that I may not think of, best lighting, etc.. Any help, i.e. websites, books, would be cool.
Also, I'm in San Diego if anyone is doing any local long rides.

Thanks

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Hey Wrench,

Although I have retired from solo racing, after 5 of those 24 hour things, I have learned a little bit that I can share with you. As far as foods, you're best off eating what you're used to; the only change being to reduce the amount of solids somewhat. I do best with Accelerade, UltraFuel and (but this only if you're used to drinking milk) those Boost type food replacements. I'll also have one or maybe two turkey sandwiches. Be sure to replenish your salt intake, as you will (or should be) taking in plenty of water. You can either use salt tablets, or eat salty foods like chips and pretzels. Don't count on those GU things getting you through the 24 hours, though. You will need actual food - even if it's mostly liquid type foods. Try to eat breakfast if you can - cereal (dry if milk doesn't work for you), bagels, etc., tend to work well.

For lights, I use Jet Lites, but have used my husband's Light and Motion in the past (those have the advantage of being extremely lightweight and easily carried in a jersey pocket). Try to have a bar and helmet combo - that works best. Also you should have 10-12 hours' worth of total light batteries, if possible (if you have access to an outlet and a quick charger, that works, too - plus then you don't have the expense of buying so many!). In any case, carry a small flashlight with you, trust me on this one.

As far as things to bring - if you have a spare bike, that's ideal. Things I like to have extras of include: helmets (putting a wet helmet back on sucks), shoes, gloves, shorts, jerseys, and socks. Obviously you'll need some tools to carry with you and hopefully a hydration pack. Always bring some sort of jacket. You'll probably want to change clothes at least a time or two (there's nothing like a fresh dry pair of shorts at 3 a.m., trust me!). Basically, if it can break or catastrophically fail, try to bring a backup! Don't forget bug spray and sunscreen. Also bring clothes to put on after the race. For me personally, I can't manage without a toothbrush/paste, deodorant, chapstick, and also those baby-wipe things. If you don't have a spare bike, at least try to have extras of necessities like a seatpost, extra pedal and cleat, extra bolts, duct tape, zip ties, saddle, wheels if possible, etc.

A support person is a lifesaver, if you have someone willing to do that for you - to make sure you eat (trust me, you'll forget, or at the very least, be all cuckoo and not know what to eat or drink), ensure that you have sufficient lights on your bike for the night laps, and they can also keep track of your laps (your math skills will greatly suffer as the race goes on, and it's always a good idea to know how many laps you have, just in case there's a question). I always had my support crew keep a sheet taped to the trailer recording laps/times.

If you don't have a support crew - to ensure that you eat and drink sufficiently, get an alarm clock and set it to remind you every 2-3 hours; and have the eat/drink times written out on a sheet taped up where you can easily see it, with what and when to eat/drink. Pre-prepare your meals before the race starts, and have them ready beforehand.

As far as during the race, try if possible not to lie down and sleep. Rest on the trail if you have to, but keep moving as much as you can. Getting back out there after sleeping is a nightmare! Plan on just taking your time at night if necessary, but the main thing is to keep at it. My secret key was to always look at a 24 hour race not as HAVING to ride for 24 hours, but GETTING to ride for 24 hours. Have fun - it'll be the most thrilling thing you've ever done:D

Good luck, and if you have any other questions I haven't answered, feel free to ask me!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Support crew is key. You will NEED someone there to root you on, fix you food, refill your water, massage your legs, fix your bike..... Find someone who is not going to let you quit too.

The food thing you have to experiment with. I like to eat pb&honey, pasta, oatmeal, tortillas....anything you can stomach after hours and hours of riding.

I like to have both helmet and bar mount lights. Borrow a bunch from your friends so you will never have to worry about running out.

I've raced at the Idyllwild 24 hour race 2 years now. The night laps never really got that cold last year. Tights and a long sleeve jersey made me too hot. Bring everything you own though just in case.

I will pick up my mileage shortly here after Norba Nat's to train for the Brian Head Epic 100, and Big Bear 100 and have plenty of long distance rides in my arsenol so we'll DEFINIETLY have to hook up. Do you road ride at all?

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego
Man, that was alot of insight. Thanks, I didn't expect so much. I will have two singlespeeds built by then and I still want to pick up a couple more lights. I've only used NiteRider and am totally satisfied with their systems. I know they were at Idyllwild last year too.

As for the road bike, since I decided to start the 24 hr solo thing, I've been thinking more and more about getting one. I had sworn them off completely for a long time and had stuck solely with the mt bike. Comes from years of going into a 20 mph head wind giving it all youv'e got and going 3 mph for two hours. That was riding in Indiana for you. Even looking at road bikes makes me think of that and I want to die. Maybe there is a twelve step program to get me past it. I'll end up buying one in the next couple weeks though because it seems all my riding partners are doing the same thing.

Are you the same Heidi that is friends with Rich and Angela? If so, I think I met you at Sagebrush. I'm the only singlespeeder that races for Mission if that does any good. Did that race suck or what?

Hey, thanks to both of you again for all the advice. Now that I know about ridemonkey, I'll be posting here alot. Let's definitely hook up for a ride.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by monkeywrench

Are you the same Heidi that is friends with Rich and Angela? If so, I think I met you at Sagebrush. I'm the only singlespeeder that races for Mission if that does any good. Did that race suck or what?

Hey, thanks to both of you again for all the advice. Now that I know about ridemonkey, I'll be posting here alot. Let's definitely hook up for a ride.
Yes, that's me. As for the road thing, the winds aren't that bad here, and you can get great saddle time in without getting beat up as badly as riding dirt. I did probably 75% of my endurance race training on my road ride last year.

That race sucked so bad that I had to get a new pair of shoes afterward. The sole of my shoe came completely off and I had to take a DNF. Are you going to race this Sunday up at Bonelli?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Oh yah, RUN don't walk to your nearest EX Bike USA ( any of the 7 locations). They are selling bikes 50% off!!!!!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The Mission Cyclery in Chula Vista does group road rides on I think Saturdays. There is some great riding out by you but a lot of wind.

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego
I live in Ocean Beach really close to Rich and Angela now. It was nice living in East Chula Vista and being able to go out the back door and literally step on to the trail. Now I step into an alley, but the road bike is making up for that. Today I broke away from work (3 hour lunches) and did hill repeats up the Point Loma tide pools hill. Man, I was totally worked, but in a good way. I think Angela and I are going to ride at lunch on Friday if your'e up for it.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I live in Ocean Beach really close to Rich and Angela now. It was nice living in East Chula Vista and being able to go out the back door and literally step on to the trail. Now I step into an alley, but the road bike is making up for that. Today I broke away from work (3 hour lunches) and did hill repeats up the Point Loma tide pools hill. Man, I was totally worked, but in a good way. I think Angela and I are going to ride at lunch on Friday if your'e up for it.
Where will you guys ride at lunch? I'm downtown.

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego
Not sure where we're going. She is the roadie, so I'm leaving that up to her, or you if youv'e got any good two hour rides. I'd like to get some hills in; where do you think?
Also, good job at bonelli park. I saw some of the other posts; you really kicked ass. When are you turning pro? Seriously.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Not sure where we're going. She is the roadie, so I'm leaving that up to her, or you if youv'e got any good two hour rides. I'd like to get some hills in; where do you think?
Also, good job at bonelli park. I saw some of the other posts; you really kicked ass. When are you turning pro? Seriously.
HA, hills are my specialty! I don't know where you guys work, but Mt. Soledad, Scripps hill by UCSD, and then Torrey Pines Hill is a great 3 hill workout! I don't know if I can take two hours off for a lunch ride though.

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego
That sounds like an excellent ride. I work at the old Naval Training Center just past the airport, but usually ride from my apartment just four minutes away by bike. Can't beat the commute. Today I'm riding the local Chula Vista trails at 2:00 to get some easy mt bike time in.