Quantcast

24 hours of flats and mud

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We were battling with an all female team for 4th place. We knew it was going to come down to minutes and Splat volunteered to do our final lap, and we needed a solid lap time. The female team had their best rider going out. MMcG handed the baton to Splat, and the female team followed 2.5 minutes later. Splat threw down the best lap time our team had all weekend with a 38 minute lap! (the bastard HAD to beat my 39 minute one. :mad: ) That was a frikkin CLUTCH performance. Way to kick ass, Splat! YAY, we beat the women! :D Seriously though, that all female four person team was impressive. The other eight teams were all men, and the female team hung right there and finish 5th out of 9. It took every ounce of energy we had to grab that #4 spot.

Here's Splat during that final lap. I hollered encouragement to him, and he replied "I'm spent! I've got nothing left and she's right on my ass!" :D Of course, Doug was yelling fake split times to him so he'd keep pushing hard. hahahaha

and Splat savors a job well done. :) :thumb:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hmmm...no TreeSaw or Goddy43 pics. Sorry guys. Next time we race, try to be more aware of where and when I am taking pictures so you can be there for them. :D

Last pic, team 4MAAB's unofficial lap tracker. I was trying to keep track on my stopwatch.

Good times, good times. I love you guys! Ah, screw you guys.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Oh, did we mention there were flat tires issues running rampant at this race? In a 15 minute span while standing around taking pics, I saw these three riders.

FLAT.

FLAT.

aaaaand FLAT. But at least he's smiling! :D (edit: oh, actually this guy broke his chain)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Man I am so frikkin sore. My back is killing me.

4MAAB average lap times:

IAB: 42.5
Splat: 44
MMcG: 48
Keith: 53

It should be noted that Mark and Keith were slowed on account of mechanicals and Mark stopping to help fellow riders.

Awesome job, guys!!

The lap times for the top teams are INSANE. :dead:

splat

Nam I am

4MAAB average lap times:

It should be noted that Mark and Keith were slowed on account of mechanicals and Mark stopping to help fellow riders.

Awesome job, guys!!

My Back is killing me too!!

That course was just Abusive!!

Note I also Had a Falt while on course too:(

Can't wait till next year and do it again !

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I am feeling ok today. My back is sore and I am coughing and sneezing through my stuffy nose. I am amazed that my legs are functioning. My knee is a little tweeked from my crash (one of many) but overall, I am just tired. I probably should have called in sick today, but atleast it's my easiest day.

As for mechanical issues: flats -- I managed to have 2 flats on course (same lap) and I NEVER get flats! Actually, I didn't have enough air pressure in my rear so I ended up rolling it off the bead and then got a flat on "the" rock; and chain suck -- well, my chain rings (granny and middle) definitely need to be replaced as they are shark toothed pretty badly and chain suck was awful due to the mud.

I am working on my rull report and will put that up this evening.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
H.O.H.'s avg. lap times....

Goddy43 = 40mins.
Rob = 1:03mins.
McGRP01 = 48mins.
Jim = 1:09mins.

The night laps really killed us. Both Rob and Jim's second night laps (we pulled doubles at night) were in the 1:45min. range. :eek:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut

4MAAB average lap times:

Awesome job, guys!!

Great job guys!! My last few laps I couldn't keep my chain in the middle ring - turns out that underneath all that mud I was missing a chainring bolt! Doh!

I also felt good about helping that female rider, Gail, with her flat tire repair. Her team was battling for a podium spot and she desperately wanted to get her teammate out for one more lap, so I helped her out with my C02 cartridge instead of her having to pump up her tire with a hand pump. I rode behind her most of that last lap to make sure she didn't flat again, but at the same time she also pushed me to ride fast, because she was riding really well. I felt good about helping - that's what it's all about right and I actually think that it helped me ride a faster lap in the end.

Overall, I think our team represented damned well!!!

splat

Nam I am
G
I also felt good about helping that female rider, Gail, with her flat tire repair. .......I rode behind her most of that last lap to make sure she didn't flat again, but at the same time she also pushed me to ride fast, because she was riding really well. I felt good about helping - that's what it's all about right and I actually think that it helped me ride a faster lap in the end.
!

The fact that she was Hot as Hell had nothing to do with it ???

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Oh, and before I forget, BIG PROPS to Ashford Doug for all the support and positive vibes for all the teams this weekend!!! Must be hard to watch the action when you have the heart of a racer. And a personal thanks to him for driving me 1/2 way home so I could nap in the car. Not sure I would have made it alone!! :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
A few more random thoughts.

These types of races are the best IMO - the atmosphere is just awesome.

That campground was great - those warm showers mad a huge difference I think.

I wish I could have spent more time hanging out and chatting with Tigg and meeting more of his teammates.

It is very important to have all of your chainring bolts bolted to the spider of your crankset! Doh!

Quo fan and his girlfriend, Theresa, are great people and Quo is a really great wrench and overall cool dude.

splat has a very supportive wife and kids (they always make it out to watch him race).

Treesaw is badass and bakes killer chocolate chip cookies

Tequila Doug is a good friend and a great guy!

Phil's cousin Keith is also a great guy and I really enjoyed having him on our team. He's also a really strong rider too.

Big wheels help in muddy sloppy conditions.

Riding in the dark without lights is kinda scary.

Riding in the dark as things begin to lighten up enough so you can see where you are going is kinda cool.

Being a part of Team 4 Monkeys and a Baboon - whatever configuration that takes - is a true honor and a total blast!!!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Oh, and before I forget, BIG PROPS to Ashford Doug for all the support and positive vibes for all the teams this weekend!!! Must be hard to watch the action when you have the heart of a racer. And a personal thanks to him for driving me 1/2 way home so I could nap in the car. Not sure I would have made it alone!! :)
:D

"Ashford Doug" > haha, I have too many nicknames already!!

Mad props to all of the racers! You guys were badass for riding so strong and that long in such nasty conditions!!

Tequila Doug

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey, did anyone get a picture of that kid who tried to wheel through the start/finish line at the end of the race and fell backwards off his bike? That was priceless. :D

BooYea

Chimp
Sep 18, 2006
CT
Hahaha...thanks a lot ya jerk....hahaha that was me that flipped back. Lets hope that everyone was laughing with me not at me. What happened was everyone was clapping for me because i was the last one to finish but i figured everyone did the race, it wasn't just me so i thought i should give them a good reason to clap. No really, my brakes were so logged with mud they didn't grip. i swear i can wheely. I guess I'll never know whether my ass is sore from that or sitting for 24 hours. Awesome taking pictures. and by the way, instead of saying the kid that fell on his ass, my name is joe foster from team ramrod and i am a pig iron sports employee but wasnt on their team. so you can laugh at "joe" not "that kid". I talked to a lot of you all over the weekend and i think mountain bikers are some of the best people around. nice riding with you all and see you in future mud holes. (i want a pic of that too)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hahaha...thanks a lot ya jerk....hahaha that was me that flipped back. Lets hope that everyone was laughing with me not at me. What happened was everyone was clapping for me because i was the last one to finish but i figured everyone did the race, it wasn't just me so i thought i should give them a good reason to clap. No really, my brakes were so logged with mud they didn't grip. i swear i can wheely. I guess I'll never know whether my ass is sore from that or sitting for 24 hours. Awesome taking pictures. and by the way, instead of saying the kid that fell on his ass, my name is joe foster from team ramrod and i am a pig iron sports employee but wasnt on their team. so you can laugh at "joe" not "that kid". I talked to a lot of you all over the weekend and i think mountain bikers are some of the best people around. nice riding with you all and see you in future mud holes. (i want a pic of that too)
We were all laughing with you! :D There was a hush when you fell, followed by laughing and applause when you got up and appeared ok. These 24 hour events are all about having fun. :)

Welcome to ridemonkey, Joe! Your team kicked butt! Glad you survived it. :D

Someone has to have a picture of that because there were about a dozen cameras out.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Welcome to the Monkey Joe!!

Say hello to Diane for me the next time you see her at Pig Iron.

Nice riding - you were one fast mofo out there on the course.

splat

Nam I am
Oh what the hell here are a Few more :)

MMcG in the woods

Treesaw , still Smiling !!

ME !

Now we were staying at a camp ground , but I'm not too sure how mobile some of these "campers" are some like this one have undergone extreame modifactions

Tigg!

Kieth Coming in for an exchange ( IAB in the background )

IAB on his way

MMcG

Only once did I get yelled at for forgetting to dismount , I was concentrating too much on getting the batton un hooked .

IAB is racin'