Quantcast

24" or 26"? Help me decide.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
Hey Ya'll.

I wanna build a Superco, either a Charger or Satelite.

I mainly ride DH, with a bunch of XC/AM stuff during the week for fun, and I want to get something to help me re-learn the fundamentals of bike maneuvering. I figure a DJ/Urban geo hardtail would be perfect for that because it teaches you bike control. I want to get much better at my "trials" type skills, which will help me so much on the DH course as I improve my balance and bike control.

I've ridden the 24 and 26" bikes at Rays this winter, the 26 was AWESOME, and the 24 was a little weird because it was smaller/tighter (but nothing I couldnt get used to). There is a BMX/Pump track close to me and i feel like the 24 would be cool because it would be smaller/lighter for all around urban riding, and small enough to still rip it on the pump track.

am I going to regret building the 24"?

I mostly see the bike as being used for Urban stuff, around town... the pump track whenever i can, and maybe some DJ stuff as my balls grow a little :)

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Based on your description of what you ride now and your riding intentions, I say get the 26".

24"s are better for BMX cross-over riders (or riders who want to ride in a bmx style) who want the same maneuverability for skatepark riding and hardcore dirt jumping.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I would say that if you want a bike to ride around (xc/trail ride) and be able to hit jumps/park as well, go with a 26 and gears.

If you want to ride jumps, park, bmx track and pump track only, definately go with 24 and single speed. I am 5'11" and I always had a problem hitting my ass with the back tire on my 26, but with the 24 it rarely happens. So far everyone that has been on my 24 wants one, they are so nimble I think it really helps bring your level up a notch.

Here is what I am on now, but I have a new one I am working on with a couple adjustments to the geometry...

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216950

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I would say that if you want a bike to ride around (xc/trail ride) and be able to hit jumps/park as well, go with a 26 and gears.

If you want to ride jumps, park, bmx track and pump track only, definately go with 24 and single speed. I am 5'11" and I always had a problem hitting my ass with the back tire on my 26, but with the 24 it rarely happens. So far everyone that has been on my 24 wants one, they are so nimble I think it really helps bring your level up a notch.

. . . .

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216950
Man I know you are psyched on your 24" and you should be.... but that's not exactly right.... TONS of dudes are riding single speed 26" for BMX track, 4x track, pump track, and jumps....

The only applications where 24"s beat 26" hands down is skatepark and BMX-style street (i.e. 360s down stairs, tailwhips etc.). With jumping it's a tie--depending on what style of jumping you're going after or just personal preference of your body stance on your bike--a 24" will feel more hunched over and bmx-y.

It would be a mistake for this guy to think he *needs* 24"s to ride a pump track or learn to jump. Remember, he's coming off a DH bike.... He wants something that will help cross-train him for DH/XC skills. I think the 24" will be too different. Rad but not quite what he's after. IMO !

Last edited:

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
i kind of agree with cmc, the 24 might be TOO radical of a change from what i'm used to.

i have a dedicated trail-bike (Giant ReignX0), a dedicated DH bike (Canfield Jedi), so i'm looking for something that probably won't see dirt (except for dirt jumps, maybe).

I am looking for something like CMC said, to help cross train the skills and the upper body for bike control and "trick" riding. I want to increase my bunny hop height, get more confident in the air, increase manualing and wheelie balance, throw on a front brake and learn endo balance... things that are very hard to train for on a heavy, squishy bike.

I'm pretty sure I also want single speed, to keep weight down and simplicity paramount, also better training for the legs to only have the one gear.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i kind of agree with cmc, the 24 might be TOO radical of a change from what i'm used to.

i have a dedicated trail-bike (Giant ReignX0), a dedicated DH bike (Canfield Jedi), so i'm looking for something that probably won't see dirt (except for dirt jumps, maybe).

I am looking for something like CMC said, to help cross train the skills and the upper body for bike control and "trick" riding. I want to increase my bunny hop height, get more confident in the air, increase manualing and wheelie balance, throw on a front brake and learn endo balance... things that are very hard to train for on a heavy, squishy bike.

I'm pretty sure I also want single speed, to keep weight down and simplicity paramount, also better training for the legs to only have the one gear.
now that you mentioned "tricks".... you might also consider a bmx cruiser like a DK Cygnus, FIT, or We The People Avenue 24" They're a helluva lot cheaper than a Superco. (complete $450, versus $750 frame only Superco). Superco's are AWESOME though so if you have the money or an itchy credit card, do it.

Last edited:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Not really telling him what he "needs" just giving my experience.

But maybe I am biased, once I discovered trails I forgot I even owned a dh bike ;)

JayBear

Monkey
Downhill rider turned Dirt Jump monster..I bought a stp 0..Nine speed..The bike was great to start on But after riding a buddies 24, Im selling it and building up a 24...26 feel a little big to me on dirt jumps and park and 20 are a little painfull for my old ass... No matter which one you go for definatly single speed it..

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I'm going through the same decision. I have a 26" rockhopper that is made more for XC but I changed it to be more of a freeride bike. But I've been using my 24" cruiser BMX for DJ and track. I'm only 5 feet and dont think there is a 26" out there that is small enough for me. The rockhopper is a 13", probably one of the smallest MTB frames and really almost too big for me to do more then logs, drops, etc. I'm a girl also and not as strong as most you guys. Its hard to handle for real jumps. If my BMX becomes too rigid for me, I think my next step would be a Specialized P. grom and make it a single speed. I'm not sure what else is my size. I dont think that will do well on trails so I guess I will keep my upgraded rockhopper for that and have 3 bikes lol. I put a small block 8 on front my cruiser and that seems to be going well so far.

Last edited:

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
I should mention that I'm 6" 190. I sent a pm about the charger in the classifieds. A good deal is always a good sign, plus... I liked the 26 more than the 24 when I rode them, but that might have been a matter of habit.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Hey,

I had a 26" Superco Charger and recently swapped it out for a 24" Superco Sattelite.

I'm short, and i ride mostly the skatepark on it. I'm a downhiller at heart

I race BMX on a cruiser and i wanted to swap to 24's to help get used to the BMX.

Being a hardtail rookie the Charger was excellent. Very stable and easy to control. Great tire clearance with a super short rear end. Fun for DJ, pumptrack, urban, whatever. I was also running into the rear tire with my ass constantly-to the point of where it was stopping my wheel and sending me into a dead sailor.

Ultimately i do like the 24 a lot more for the park and pumptrack. it is for sure more squirrely. I think it is making me a better rider though. it is a total blast to play around on. As Doc said to me "On a 26 you have to try to get it off the ground, on a 24 you have to try to keep it on the ground". It is an ideal playbike.

Decide for yourself, but DO get a Superco if you can!!!

Krispy

DThomson

Monkey
Nov 1, 2004
I also just made the switch from a charger to a satellite, and I was a little worried i would regret building a 24in bike. It definitely takes a little getting used to. Smaller wheels are much more lively and poppy. Both are sick as hell!! I would recommend the satellite because if you want to build your skills, you've got to be a little more dialed in on it. I felt i could ride more lazily on 26 wheels. Although, you cant go wrong with either.

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
keep in mind that a 26 feels a bit big in tight pumptracks/short lips on trails, 24's being more agile in the air comes from less rotational weight, if you put some light rims and tyres on a 26 it will not feel the same but definately not boat like...personnally I prefer 26 by far as long as it's built up well, having ridden 20, 24 and 26.