Quantcast

24" street specific frames

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
Alright, the label under my username may say I'm a new when it comes to da monkey, but I'm not. I've been floating around da monkey for a couple months now, I just never bothered to reply or post to anything because I'm to lazy, and you guys already answer all of my questions :thumb: .

Anywho, back on topic; I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I've only been doing street MTB for a year now, so I'm by no means "good". I purchased a Kona Stuff 2-4 in June. Yes, a kids bike. I bought the bike when I was 5' 4" or so. Now, I'm 5' 7" and it's not looking like I'm gonna stop anytime soon:happydance:. Furthermore, I'm outgrowing my frame. It's getting pretty bad, I can't turn the bars to much when I'm sitting down becuase my knee's hit the bars. I want something better, something different.

So, this means I'm in the market for a new frame! (and maybe a new fork and wheelset. :D )

I'm looking for a frame that has the ability to:
- to put a 140mm fork on (pike). (I'll be adjusting it down to 95mm when hitting up the city).
- put gears on.
- be used primarily for street, but be able to do some mild and easy all mountain riding

Some key features that I would like include:
- BMX feel
- short top tube (the smallest size STP feels like way to big of a stretch for me).
- 24" specific

Is there such a thing out there? I've been doing a bunch of reasearch lately trying to find the right frame, I've come up with the Banshee Scratch, and the DMR Transition. I'm not crazy about the scratch, maybe it just looks funny to be or something, but theres just something I don't like about it. The DMR looks great, but it's still not quie right. Can you guys help me out? I figured you guys would help me out and show me some options compared to the women over at Pinkbike who will tell me to buy a Norco, Giant or a Dob.

Thanks for all the help!

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i have (had) a DMR rythem and it is the most balanced bike i have ever ridden.

I ve still got it, and i wish i could keep it built but i needed 26's for all of the trail riding i do now.

but for street, djs, and smoother trails it was super sick!

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
I'm looking for a frame that has the ability to:
- to put a 140mm fork on (pike). (I'll be adjusting it down to 95mm when hitting up the city).
- put gears on.
- be used primarily for street, but be able to do some mild and easy all mountain riding

Some key features that I would like include:
- BMX feel
- short top tube (the smallest size STP feels like way to big of a stretch for me).
- 24" specific

I show me some options compared to the women over at Pinkbike who will tell me to buy a Norco, Giant or a Dob.
Sorry to bring the Dob...but if you read that review from a Australien magazine...you will see that its pretty much what you are looking for... at 14.75 the chainstays of the new Pinscher are shorter the many 24" specific frames... Its all set up to run gears front and rear...

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
Hmmm....
Here are my choices:
1. DMR Transition or Rhythm - $200 (employee discount)
2. Dobermann Poopcher - $899 (as quoted in the article)

hmmmmm....

DMR.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Why 24s? If you want to do a bit of all mountain, 26s seem like a way better choice. 24s will get held up on trails a lot more. I mean I've got a 24" Tonic Fall Guy and I love the thing for street but trails would SUCK on it.

How about an Evil DOC, Specialized P, Giant STP, or other 26" bike like that?

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
your right, 26's are better for all mountain, but I'm riding street 95% of the time. It's just that occasionaly I get the urge to go flying through some trees, and do some drops or street hucks.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
your right, 26's are better for all mountain, but I'm riding street 95% of the time. It's just that occasionaly I get the urge to go flying through some trees, and do some drops or street hucks.
You could get one of our 26" Secret Agent frames and run either 24's or 26"s on it , your description above is exactly the type of rideing we designed this bike for .

We also ship the Secret Agent with a 10mm/12mm step down alxle this allows you to run any standard 135mm x 12mm through axle DH hub in our 10mm dropouts .

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Hmmm....
2. Dobermann Poopcher - $899 (as quoted in the article)
Thats in Australien $$$ the Pinscher is 500$ CAD free shipping and custom color in the US... with today exchange it means its 423.80$USD deliver to your door.

You cant compare the price of frame like the Dob or the Nemesis whit Taiwanees made frames like the DMR. But wen you ride them...you will see wish one feel better... and this wy you paid a litle bit more.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Thats in Australien $$$ the Pinscher is 500$ CAD free shipping and custom color in the US... with today exchange it means its 423.80$USD deliver to your door.

You cant compare the price of frame like the Dob or the Nemesis whit Taiwanees made frames like the DMR. But wen you ride them...you will see wish one feel better... and this wy you paid a litle bit more.
wow that is an excellent deal! seriously!

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
You could get one of our 26" Secret Agent frames and run either 24's or 26"s on it , your description above is exactly the type of rideing we designed this bike for .

We also ship the Secret Agent with a 10mm/12mm step down alxle this allows you to run any standard 135mm x 12mm through axle DH hub in our 10mm dropouts .

That frame looks awesome brad! But why did you ruin it by putting that crappy car in the pic :monkey:

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
That frame looks awesome brad! But why did you ruin it by putting that crappy car in the pic :monkey:
What you mean my 32K photo backdrop :disgust1:
I tried to take a shot of that green frame on my lawn and it disappeared ... the car was just convenient :lighten:

It will never be as cool of a shot as the one of your red DNA on the back of the fire engine ... that kicks ass on soo many different levels .
Red bikes and fire trucks rule anyway you look at it , and that purely the kid in me talking .. that only ay it could have been any better was if you had a Dalmatian in the photo .

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
Thanks for the responces eveyone.

Brad,
Can you list the geo for your frames? I really like the way they look and I know they must be good becuase I constantly see people raving about them on da monkey. Since your sites been hacked, there no way to access this kind of information. What about prices and maybe someother options? I mean, I'm only 15, 5' 7" (and still growing, score!) and about 127 pounds. My only concern is the TT. I love really really short TTs. This is what I'm coming from:

But remember, this bike is to small for me.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, coming from that, anything will feel great to you. I say just build a DMR so you can beat it up, and not have to worry about riding a $600+ frame.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Dude, coming from that, anything will feel great to you. I say just build a DMR so you can beat it up, and not have to worry about riding a $600+ frame.
Bicyclist has a good point , you might not need a $600+ frame

First off let me be the first to say that little bike is dope !!

I PM'd you some details too :)

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
Bicyclist has a good point , you might not need a $600+ frame

First off let me be the first to say that little bike is dope !!

I PM'd you some details too :)
Brad is that a perl white or does it have a touch of pink in there? I think my eyes are trippin out, I agree with bicyclist that any bike will feel better, Brad puts lots of time and detail into all of his work that mabe other companies may not put into their bikes, Im getting a 24" Nemesis DM because I want a bmx bike and a hardtail dirtjumper and thats the middle ground. Any bike you go with you will be happy with.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
don't forget the Union Street "Molly Maguire." that is my favorite bike that i don't ****ing need right now. already got a crew of bikes that hang out in my living room all the goddam time.

if you are actually riding park and street, you DO NOT want a disc brake. 990 u brakes are the way to go. Union Street got it right.
just look at it. http://www.unionstreetbikes.com/1images/MOLLY_Chocolate1.jpg .

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Brad is that a perl white or does it have a touch of pink in there? I think my eyes are trippin out, I agree with bicyclist that any bike will feel better, Brad puts lots of time and detail into all of his work that mabe other companies may not put into their bikes, Im getting a 24" Nemesis DM because I want a bmx bike and a hardtail dirtjumper and thats the middle ground. Any bike you go with you will be happy with.

No the bike doesnt have any pink in it , but it may be the lighting .
There is also a small bit of melted red powder from the hook on the inside of the headtube , so the digital camera may have grouped this color into the hue of the pearl ... it was really freaking hard to shoot a clear photo of that bike .

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Right after I bought the King off him, he asked me if I had any parts to built up street/dj bike with.

I was just like, um - didn't you just have one? Or nine?!:twitch:

I wonder what his deal is; he CAN'T be making money off this stuff, can he?
He bought a StreetFighter from us , never built it then sold it at a loss . That frame is still floating around waiting for someone to build it up and show it some love .... same way Eric did with his streetfighter :clapping:

sokoloka

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego / London
He bought a StreetFighter from us , never built it then sold it at a loss . That frame is still floating around waiting for someone to build it up and show it some love .... same way Eric did with his streetfighter :clapping:
Didn't he get a tweaked z.1 with the streetfighter as well?

He's the one who got that rad godzilla green paint right? I still remember the for sale ads for that.

All I know is that the streetfighter I rescued is returning all the love I give it. It really is one hell of a bike.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Didn't he get a tweaked z.1 with the streetfighter as well?

He's the one who got that rad godzilla green paint right? I still remember the for sale ads for that.

All I know is that the streetfighter I rescued is returning all the love I give it. It really is one hell of a bike.

Yup he got a Z-1 from us who knows were that went :disgust1:

The godzilla green streetfighter he got was super vintage , some kid on MTBR has it now and it also selling it .

I think it's kinda funny were useing terms like rescued and vinatge for my bikes ... like they were a 40's JAG or Bently or something hahahaha I love it !!

BTW: Eric I'm glad you the proud new owner of that frame , it finally has a good home :shocked:

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
That godzilla green Streetfighter was super BEEEEEEEEFY, I too had my hands on it for about a month before putting it back on the internet. Now I got a metallic moss green Secretagent!

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
uhhh that green SA looks amazing!! so Amazingly like the one sitting on my bed

SWEET !

YES Chober's Secrect Agent in mettalic moss is super bad ass , easily my favorite out of our last production run .

NOW post some pic's of that beauty all built up !

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
So many unbelievable GREEN frames...

Driving me crazy! I think I have to build a green bike again, it's been far too long since the last one.
Ho many differnt greens have we painted frames in is the real question ?
Godzilla green ( AKA chic magnet green )
Garson's glow in the dark green
Kelly green on a streetfighter
Tecate team green on Greg Camps DM
Mettalic Moss on chobers bike
and Peter Mills is getting glow in the dark green apple now too !

^6 differnt greens ... :shocked: