Quantcast

24" tires and the industry

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
I don't get it. 24" wheels are becoming more and more popular and yet there is very little choice of tires out there. I mean: lots of people you them for 4x, dirtjumping and what not, yet it is impossible to find a good 2.35x24" tire out there! I've been looking for this desperately for soo long and nothing has ever turned up. What are the tires manufacturers playing at?

My friend just got some 2.35x26" Maxxis tyres which are perfect. Are they avaliable in 24"? No.

Someone tell me what the deal is...

I want some 2.35's dammit....

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Yeah there really isn't a large market for 24's...so tire manufactures are not going to make many models in that size. However maxxis makes some good tires for 24...check them out.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
macmx said:
I don't get it. 24" wheels are becoming more and more popular and yet there is very little choice of tires out there. I mean: lots of people you them for 4x, dirtjumping and what not, yet it is impossible to find a good 2.35x24" tire out there! I've been looking for this desperately for soo long and nothing has ever turned up. What are the tires manufacturers playing at?

My friend just got some 2.35x26" Maxxis tyres which are perfect. Are they avaliable in 24"? No.

arrow makes nice 24" tires:
http://www.arrowracing.com/

you can get them at your LBS (through bti) or through the various online retailers (see: goride.com)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
sayndesyn said:
.. I don't see the point of running a 24 in the rear on a bighit but 24's on a dj is pretty snappy..
It's the only thing you can run on a bighit because Spec was too lazy to design it right so they just slapped 24s on it as a band-aid so they could get the chainstays down to a rideable length.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah i don't think 24s will really ever pan out...at least for racing...when they came out a few years ago...all the mags were going crazy about how good they'd make mountain bikes...then people rode them....and they went away pretty much.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
macmx said:
I don't get it. 24" wheels are becoming more and more popular
It's quite the opposite from what I know. People use them for street, but not so much for trails.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah I think they're getting less popular..I used to race 24" front and rear for 2 seasons but lack of choice and the laws of physics changed my mind...D

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
macmx said:

Wouldn't a 2.35 in 24 have a pretty small contact patch?

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
I don't really care whether 24's are popular or not.

I tried arrows tires, but they are really small! The 2.5 arrows are around the same size as a 26" 2.1.

Anyway, can't complain. I'm just an ex-bmx'er who's missing a product for my flickable 24" wheeled HT.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
kenda's nevegal & blue groove are great tires that come in 24" sizes - 2.7, 2.5 & 2.35. they're generously sized - the 2.5 sets up similarily to a 2.7 maxxis, so the 2.35 should'nt be too skinny.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
i've got 24x2.35 arrow launches on my bike and i've been riding it in the snow and on the frozen river. In my experience, i'm not losing anything with these tyres compared with anything i've ridden before. My past experiences run the gamut, from the really big 24x3.0 Gazzaloddi, though to cheap 1.85 kendas off a Canadian Tire bike.

As it happens though, despite a certain french rim company thinking us 24" riders to be bonkers, Shwalbe makes a couple nice ones, but expensive, and nokian makes a really interesting bruiser of a street tyre in the 'XXX'.

if you really must have huge and tough you can't go much wrong with a Kujo.
the maxxis high roller, hookworm and, i think holy roller are all available in 24. The tioga FS100, is, i think avail. in 24" as well. You were looking for a semislick right?

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
I have used the Maxxis and Arrow (both work well) and I have a Nokian on the side that I have not used yet. I agree that the Arrow do seem small, as the 2.7 Maxxis is much larger than the 2.7 Arrow. I do like the Arrow best of the ones I have tried.

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
"Specialized Roller RS 24 x 2.3” dual compound, Aramid bead, Cap Ply reinforced casing"
thats whats on the big hit rear, ive never heard anything about these tires so im not sure how good the actually are.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
a listing of 24" tyres"

Nokian:
XXX (2.4) ~1kg
Ragahit (1.8) 595g
Gazzalodi JR. (2.6) 1230g
X-Trak (1.75) 670g

Schwalbe:
Marathon Plus (1.75) 890g
Big apple (2.0) 665

tioga:
Comp iii classic(1.75) 470g and (2.125) 550g
Blue dragon (2.1) 685g
FS 100 (2.1) and or (2.3) email them if you want them, it doesn't sdeem to be official yet, but there are a few sets hanging aound

maxxis:
holy roller (2.4) 795g
holy roller bmx (1.75) and (1.85)
hookworm (2.5) 1250g
highroller (2.5)
max daddy (1.85)

Arrow:
almost all

There's more but the company names aren't coming to me.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I remember the 24" wheel craze of the late 90s, early 00s.

I rarely see 24" wheels anymore except on the bighits where you don't have much of a choice. But this is me on the eastcoast...lately I've been checking out sites like pinkbike and nsmb (westcoast Canada) in their buy and sell/photo forums (just for the fun of it) and people are obsessed with 24" wheels!! I don't get it! I see big suspension bikes with big forks with 24" rear wheels. Weird. For a hardtail, I can see it being fun. Nokian would be my choice.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
A lot of people use to run 24" front and rear. Some still do. I ran dual 24s and raced on them a whole season and did fairly well. Gazzo 3.0 front and Highroller 2.7 rear.

ArrowRacer

Chimp
Jan 31, 2005
I run dual 24" on my Arrow DSS. Which is nothing amazing because the frame was made with 24s in mind, but all I can say about 'em is that I love them. I don't feel like I really need a huge tire selection... you can only run 2 at once anyway. I've got Hookworms for street, 2.7 Highrollers for everything, 3.0 Arrows for bombin'. I'm happy.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I have a 24x3" kujo in the rear and a 26x2.8" Michelin in the front and it works out fine. The height difference is about 3/4", but it offsets the fact that I'm running a 7" fork on a frame built around an 8" fork. I also love the traction that a 3" tire in the rear gives me- the difference from a 2.5 was super noticable- but I don't want to run a 26x3" because they're freakin huge and I'd have to run one in the front too. Not to mention that I have a few 24" rims laying around so building a new wheel only means buying new spokes. I could see how dual 26's would be better for racing but for jumping stuff and riding skinnies it doesn't really matter much.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
zane said:
I have a 24x3" kujo in the rear and a 26x2.8" Michelin in the front and it works out fine. The height difference is about 3/4", but it offsets the fact that I'm running a 7" fork on a frame built around an 8" fork. I also love the traction that a 3" tire in the rear gives me- the difference from a 2.5 was super noticable- but I don't want to run a 26x3" because they're freakin huge and I'd have to run one in the front too. Not to mention that I have a few 24" rims laying around so building a new wheel only means buying new spokes. I could see how dual 26's would be better for racing but for jumping stuff and riding skinnies it doesn't really matter much.
I completely agree.