Quantcast

24" vs 26"?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, just a quick question (hopefully). My friend is getting an eastern traildigger, he's debating between a 24" and a 26". Which size should he go with and why? I ride a 26" night train, and love it. So I don't know about 24" besides the strength of wheels, and maybe being able to fit in smallers spaces like quarter pipes and dj's. But then again I know they aren't as forgiving.

Any help would be nice.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
eastern26.com

although i like what eastern is doing in general, i did not like the traildigger 26 i test rode.

i'm 6'1" and i like big bikes, so maybe this wouldn't apply to a shorter dude . . . but the bars are way too low, the bb is too high, headangle too steep, and the front end of the bike is so short that your toe will almost hit the front tire (not during x-ups, during NORMAL RIDING!!).

i did not try the traildigger 24.

Thunderbird or Nighttrain is the way to go.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I agree with cmc that if he goes with 26, he should go for the thunderbird or nighttrain. As for the decision between 24 and 26, that's purely personal preference. If he's a better rider, he might like the "flickability" of the smaller 24s. If he prefers something more stable, 26s are the way to go.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Well he's looking for something cheaper, and I think the trail digger is around $400. I don't really know of any other bikes this cheap, that have the same nice setup. I know there's a dk general lee, but they hit your toes with bar spins and x-ups I think, and there's the xenia, but I don't think it would be very good for street, and at $650 it's a little bit out of his range. I also saw a haro backtrail at $360 (but from past experiences, I think haro sucks.

I tried to convince him to buy a night train or a thunderbird, but he doesn't really have that much cash to drop on a bike (he rides motocross a lot).

So yea, any suggestions would be useful to me, thanks for the help so far guys! :happydance:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Well he's looking for something cheaper, and I think the trail digger is around $400. I don't really know of any other bikes this cheap, that have the same nice setup. I know there's a dk general lee, but they hit your toes with bar spins and x-ups I think, and there's the xenia, but I don't think it would be very good for street, and at $650 it's a little bit out of his range. I also saw a haro backtrail at $360 (but from past experiences, I think haro sucks.

I tried to convince him to buy a night train or a thunderbird, but he doesn't really have that much cash to drop on a bike (he rides motocross a lot).

So yea, any suggestions would be useful to me, thanks for the help so far guys! :happydance:
i rode a xenia for 2 yrs. and i highly recommend it for the price. it's all 4130 and the geo is pretty close to high end bikes. 22.2tt, 16.25cs (i grinded the dropout slots to allow 15.8"). marz dirtjam pro takes some tweaking to fix the harsh top out (switch to heavier weight oil and adjust the internal rebound) but once you get it dialed, it's solid (for the price). you can probably find someone selling last years model on closeout for like $500, or find someone on craigslist selling a hardly used one for even less. like this: http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/632687624.html .