Quantcast

$25 at Agees

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I won a $25 Agees bike shop gift card this weekend. It would cost me $30 in gas to drive to the place so it really isn't any good for me. I figure I'll give it to a local who could use it. I'll make it a bit interesting, the first person who wants it and can answer me these questions three gets it.

1 What Glacier in the lower 48 states exists at the lowest altitude?

2 What is the biggest threat this glacier poses to humans?

3 Why was it given it's name?

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
1- glacier MCjensen's 500' altitute

2- Its the huge sheet of ice in the bottom of my freezer. Biggest theat is that Im afaid Im going to tip the frig. over everytime I try to pull something out of the glacier

I give up. Im usually pretty good finding stuff on the web but this one has me stumped. Trying to get this $25 gift card has probably cost my boss $100 this morning

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Since your the only one trying I'll give you a hint, practically giving it away. Google: lowest glacier in 48 states

About the 4th link down should make the answer to #1extremely obvious.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nope, the river is named after the glacier. The glacier is name after a certain physical characteristic.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Carbon Glacier, which was named from a coal deposit discovered near there in the late 19th century.

Close enough. I thought it was named carbon because the headwall is actually black. Rock slides from the valley above dump enough rock and dirt on it that it turns the ice black and it actually has plants and trees growing on it.

PM me your address and once I figure out how "stamps" work I'll mail it to you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
it has a grey tint from all of the coal mixed in the ice.
Most glaciers produce rivers with a milky gray color from the rock flour produced from the ice grinding away rock. In fact the Tacoma harbor is a nasty milky color from the rivers dumping glacial silt off of Ranier.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
What is the groundspeed of an unladen swallow?
his speed is the same as the horizontal component of the bird's speed. Since the bird is flying upwards at a 60 degree angle to the horizontal, the bird also has a vertical speed. So the man can stay directly under the bird, but the bird is getting higher in the sky all the time; therefore the bird's velocity is not the same as the man's velocity.

Since the angle is 60 degrees, the horizontal component of the bird's velocity is V_B * cos(60), and since cos(60) = 1/2, you find that the man's velocity is V_M = V_B*1/2, so the bird is flying exactly 2 times as fast as the man is running. Therefore the bird is flying at 240m/hr.

or:

Oh, that's an unladen swallow's flight, obviously. I mean, they were more than two laden swallows' flights away. Four, really, if they had a coconut on a line between them. I mean, if the birds were walking--