Quantcast

25+ foot drop on the North Shore

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
No kiddies, the REAL North Shore.

Bruce Irons scores the Koa in 25+ foot Waimea Bay in the 20th Annual Eddie Aikau.

Photos

Video
Going left at the bay, either on the outside or the shorebreak is NUTS!

BRUCE IRONS WINS EPIC QUIKSIlVER EDDIE INVITATIONAL

Hawaiian Bruce Irons has won the Quiksilver In Memory of Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational in perfect 20-25 foot surf at Waimea Bay, on the North Shore of Oahu.

Irons pocketed a check for US$55,000 for the win after an extraordinary performance in the biggest waves he has ever surfed.

Irons scored a total of 370 points, out of 400, for his best four rides. And he scored the day's only perfect score of 100 points for a massive wave which he rode to the shoreline.

Australian Ross Clarke-Jones was runner-up on 338 points. Clarke-Jones won the Quiksilver Eddie in 2001.

Hawaiian Shane Dorian placed third with 331 points.

The other top placings were:
4th Andy Irons (Haw)
5th Peter Mel (USA)
6th Kelly Slater (USA)

It was an epic day at the Bay in honor of Eddie Aikau with 24 of the best big wave riders in the world charging incredible waves.

Congratulations Bruce!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Damn True said:
Surfing is muuuuch more difficult than cycling. Surfing waves that big......a whole nuther story.

i just spent 40 minutes looking for the pic of me at the wedge on a triple overhead day. the bigger sets were nearing the top of the poles on the jetti. nothing like a 15-20' wave breaking in about 5' of water :eek: :thumb:

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Anyone who has experienced the raw power of the ocean when you are out there on your little piece of foam in 10+, double overhead waves... scary as f**k. Sounds melodramatic, but it is true. Stoney... where did you surf?

J

JRB

stoney98 said:
I"ll second surfing being much harder with consequences at a significantly greater level. The biggest I've gone out in was a 10-12day w/ 15+ sets. It gets scary. You're no longer paddling to prevent gettings rinse cycled. you're paddling to survive. once it hits double/triple, if you bail, you're trying to make sure you see the surface again.

I pretty much stopped surfing when I started college after getting tossed on a 15+ ft set, one two wave hold down is enough for me. Dying is not something I think about regularly, but I didn't think I was going to make it out of that one alive.

-stone
Good thing you quit. I am not sure there are tons of cool surf hoodies out there.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Andy Irons was reported to take a 52 foot wave last week but he did not ride it for the requied amount of time. Last week they had the real big waves out there. 40 foot average at the start of the week.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
loco said:
Merry Christmas to you too, Mark. :D
i wanna do one! loco: i want you to die...in a...how bout...a 25ft killer wave, duuuuuuude!

on another note, went to a movie this weekend and one of the ads was whats-his-name, surfer dude doing a commercial for Visa er something. the footage was incredible, the wave was eeeaauuuuuuuuuge! but i noticed he was hauling arse, so i was just wondering..what kind of speeds do those guys get up to?

J

JRB

Megan Black said:
i wanna do one! loco: i want you to die...in a...how bout...a 25ft killer wave, duuuuuuude!

on another note, went to a movie this weekend and one of the ads was whats-his-name, surfer dude doing a commercial for Visa er something. the footage was incredible, the wave was eeeaauuuuuuuuuge! but i noticed he was hauling arse, so i was just wondering..what kind of speeds do those guys get up to?
I am sure when referring to Stoney, it is supa fast. He is one supa fast dude ya know.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I saw a movie on Showtime called "Step into Liquid". That was awesome. Near the end they were surfing the Cortez Banks which is like a 100 miles out in the middle of no where. Shows a guy riding a 65 foot wave. It was crazy looking.

I'm not a surfer but definately enjoyed it. Guys surfing the wakes of supertankers in Galvaston, surfing in Ireland. But the Cortez bank stuff was the most insane.

That guy is Laird Hamilton.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
stoney98 said:
socal. I'm from south county OC. Trestles, DMV (in San Clemente), Doheney on my longboard (9'). Salt Creek, Huntington, Strands, t-street, SC Pier, occasionally I'd go to balboa no the shortboard (6'6").
Cool cool, my grandparents live down there.

J

JRB

Ahahahaha - I just got it. Stoney is from the OC and that is the most dramatic show evahhhh. I see the correllation now.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
DRB said:
That guy is Laird Hamilton.

That guy invented some kind of double board that they heli-drop into the middle of the ocean to catch 60 footers. It is really insane, he was on sixty minutes a couple months ago.

I think he is married to Gabby Reese

J

JRB

stoney98 said:
that show should more appropriately be called "the Newport Beach" it's a subset of SOuth County that's a subset of OC that's a subet of So Cal as a whole. The bubble there is thick and hard to penetrate. I avoid chicks from newport cause the drama is over the top, to the point that I want to kill myself.
Dramatic for you must be DRAMATIC. :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Hawkeye said:
That guy invented some kind of double board that they heli-drop into the middle of the ocean to catch 60 footers. It is really insane, he was on sixty minutes a couple months ago.

I think he is married to Gabby Reese
That was in that movie as well. Its like a hydrofoil. It was freaky as they were literally surfing 4 feet above the wave.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
dh girlie said:
His name would be one hot mother f'ing piece of ass kelly slater surfer hottie extrodinaire...
i'll have to second that notion!

yeah, that second pic is way :drool: but he kinda looks like a reknob in the third w/ that face he's making....plus he needs a new name, something less feminine

yes, "one hot mother f'ing piece of ass" will do juuuuust fine!

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
manimal said:
i just spent 40 minutes looking for the pic of me at the wedge on a triple overhead day. the bigger sets were nearing the top of the poles on the jetti. nothing like a 15-20' wave breaking in about 5' of water :eek: :thumb:
The wedge rips hard and can end your days in an instant, loved that place in my younger years. :thumb:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
stoney98 said:
socal. I'm from south county OC. Trestles, DMV (in San Clemente), Doheney on my longboard (9'). Salt Creek, Huntington, Strands, t-street, SC Pier, occasionally I'd go to balboa no the shortboard (6'6").
Home :drool: in days past.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i used to surf and i loved it. i am hoping to get back into it moderately this year. To all the nay sayers out there ragging on or wondering about the severity of falling in big surf, consider the idea that one cubic yard of water weighs the same as a grand piano. The lips on most double overhead waves are around 5 or 6 feet thick and break over water half as deep as the wave is tall on average.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
Oh I loved surfing, used to surf all the time when I lived in California. Don't get to surf as much now though because the mountains are an hour away and the closes surf is 2 or 3 hours away. But when I fell llike surfing I just watch Endless Summer, best surfing movie ever.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Didn't "Riding Giants" come out on DVD this week.

I had wanted to seee it when it came out in the theatre.