Quantcast

26" at Chesapeake BMX... Maybe!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Hey everybody!

I've been in contact with the people who run the Chesapeake BMX track near Arundel Mills (Anne Arundel Co. MD near BWI) about allowing 26" bikes on their track. They got back to me and said it might be a possiblity and also mentioned that they might be interested in hosting some races. Before I get back with them I wanted to get a head count of who might be interested in either riding there or putting together some races. I just want a gauge of interest level before I talk with them. Please respond with your thoughts. I'll probably cross post this on DCstreet as well. Anywhere else I should list it?

Thanks,

Dave

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
I'd be interested in riding the track, not sure if I would want to race though, you can count me in for at least twice a month. I live in Annandale, so it's a bit of a hike to head close to BWI, but if the track is nice, I'm in.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
If it is an NBL sanctioned track they have to allow 26"s in. You can only race cruiser class but at least you can ride. If it is NBL gate practice you are allowed it. If it is just open track time then I guess it is the discretion of the track. Hope that helps

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
drt_jumper said:
If it is an NBL sanctioned track they have to allow 26"s in. You can only race cruiser class but at least you can ride. If it is NBL gate practice you are allowed it. If it is just open track time then I guess it is the discretion of the track. Hope that helps
That's cool. The guy I contacted sounded open to it so I think it will work out. I still wanted to get and idea of the number of people interested to see if it would be worth scheduling races. Sounds like most people want to ride but not race. Personally I am indifferent. I'd do either. What the hell right?

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
I can't say I can commit to anything, but I'd like to try it. I've never ridden a BMX track, but it sounds like a ton of fun. Props for trying to organize this!

If you do find out, what types of pads, if any, will be mandated?

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Pad wise for NBL racing is top tube crossbar (handlebar) stem pad, Long pants, Long sleeve shirt and Full face helmet, or open face helmet with old school chin strap mouth gruard....that is all you need for NBL

a ward

Chimp
Mar 26, 2005
fairfax,va
They let me ride my 26" at the track in Woodbridge for races and gate practices. They do charge for gate practice and other practice, but it's like $3 or so. It is definitely one of the nicest tracks on the east coast. Everyone there is really nice. They are only open certain hours because it is run by Prince William County. It's on the property where the Cannons play.
Check out their site http://www.angelfire.com/va2/novabmx

Winchester has a track that is always open: it's in a park. It's not kept up very well, but it's still a track.

Richmond is about the same. The locals will let you race and ride no problem.

We tried to ride at the Hampton Super Track last year at the National, but they wouldn't let us register because we needed more people or there was some paperwork/points thing that I can't remember or something.

BMX definitely helps with fitness. Try and sprint the whole track and see what happens...

Check the NBL Website, I think they didn't have the thing about pads on the bike in the rules last year. You do need long pants, long sleeves, and either a full face or an open face with a mouth guard.
A Ward

bruiser

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
annapolis
occasionally they have days when its only like 10 bucks to race so ive gone up and raced theres another dude that rides a red kona that races there occaisionally its cool with the guys there u just have to race cruiser

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
jdschall said:
Hey everybody!

I've been in contact with the people who run the Chesapeake BMX track near Arundel Mills (Anne Arundel Co. MD near BWI) about allowing 26" bikes on their track. They got back to me and said it might be a possiblity and also mentioned that they might be interested in hosting some races. Before I get back with them I wanted to get a head count of who might be interested in either riding there or putting together some races. I just want a gauge of interest level before I talk with them. Please respond with your thoughts. I'll probably cross post this on DCstreet as well. Anywhere else I should list it?

Thanks,

Dave
Dave, You can race a 26" there in cruiser class, My son Morgan has for years. Now if Chuck could give us our own gate... well thats mountain cross