Quantcast

26" vs 700C trick fixie?

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
ok so I have never really been into single speeds let alone fixies but I want to build a city skipper/bar hopper rig to bust some tricks on too, and fixies are looking more and more appealing

I do not plan on using a regular fixie/roadie frame either, Im looking to build up either a 29'er or 26'er mountain rigid, I just like how mountain frames feel.

So I know the 29er with 700c's will give me more tire choices but the 26" will probally be easier to throw around. Any other thoughts?

I want this to be a pretty trick based fixie build so frame suggestions would be appreciated (Ide also like for it to not break the bank or scale lol) Im thinking a All-Mountain frame (5lbs or less w/ a shortish chainstay length) street slicks, rigid fork w/ front brake.

So what do ya all think for a fixie newb?

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
im in the process of doing the same thing ha, im getting lots of weird looks for it but its a cool bike. its a 2004 norco 125 dirt jump frame with 26's rigid and a front brake set up fixed with a cog that replaces the brake rotor in the back. its a blast to ride thats forsure and it cost me a total of 10 bucks.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
an all mountain type frame would be a better option forsure, i did mine just with parts i had lying around to build something different. the hardest part about doing a 26" fixed is finding some good tires other then that its alot of fun

also what wheel set do you plan on using? aka how is this bike going to be fixed? are you going to build a 135mm fixed hub onto a 26" rim?

GTscoob

Chimp
Mar 9, 2010
Atlanta
Like mentioned above, there are 6 bolt cogs (search for Tomicog) available that bolt into the disc brake side of the rear hub. If you're feeling like doing a flipflop, then you can just run spacers and a SS cog on the freehub.

For tires, I'd be wary of running anything too narrow. I used to run 1.5" slicks on my 26" commuter and got pinch flats all the time, and worse, the one time I cased a curb I bent my rim. Since then I upgraded to some 2.35" Kenda K-Rads and they rock for urban environments, I've heard that they have thinnish sidewalls but I've not had any issues. You can even air them down and they work on decent hardpack trails.

I still dont get tricking on a fixed gear, but at least you'll appreciate the extra ball clearance by using a mountain frame vs a road frame. If you used a tomicog and an SS cog on the other side you could have fun both ways.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Well the trick thing for me is a bonus, just an amusing hobby I am not some hipster to thinks I am the shizzle for doing bar spins lol its just to cruise around the city blocks on...for real skill and big tricks Im building another trials bike.

I like how mountain frames feel, I hate the ultra high, taint touching top tubes of a road frame. I have however found a couple fixie specific frames that have a sloping top tube so they ofcourse will be considered.

As far as set up goes Im leaning towards a flip flop hub so I can switch it up sometimes and assuming I can find a frame that will acccept one, i was going to use an eccentric bottom bracket.

Im starting to lean towards the 29er and leave the 26" wheels to my trials and freeride builds.