Quantcast

26 West Bike Park Review

tvanderkamp

Chimp
Jul 19, 2008
I went out to 26 West Bike park today and wanted to post some specific information. First: how to get there specifically

Directions: From the Winston area, take I40 west to Asheville, then follow 240 past downtown. Look for 26 west and follow for about 25 minutes until exit 3; you will see the Wolf Ridge ski mountain signs. At the bottom of the exit turn right onto Bear Branch road, and another right onto Hwy. 23. Then take your first left onto Laurel Valley Road, and then another quick left onto Puncheon Fork Road. Turn right onto Wolf Ridge Road at the Breakaway Village sign and you're there!

These directions will take you right where you need to go once you get on I-26 west out of Asheville.

First off, the place is actually open and the ski lifts are running. One the weekends the ski lifts are running from 10-6. I rode out there today and there were 10-15 other downhillers out there. Mostly locals.

They do drive you bike to the top in a truck, but the truck was always waiting when we got to the top on the ski lift. The lift is high speed so you're not on there for 30 minutes like sugar mountain. I got there today around 10:30 and did about 10 runs before I headed home.

They have about 5 trails open. This is a six inch travel or better place to ride. I was out there on my SX trail and rode everything. I would have liked to have a little more travel up front at a couple of points, but I got through it with plenty of speed. You don't have to have a Demo9 to have a good time up there, but you wouldn't want to be out there on your cross-country bike either. This is not a place for spandex wearers.

They have tabletop jumps, gap jumps, board drops, road gaps, and one cool step up jump. And, like Snowshoe, you can opt out of all the features.

I would say that the vertical drop is comparable to Snowshoe's basin side. It takes about 5-10 minutes to get down most of the runs and then you can go right back up on the lifts. You can go as big as you want. There is a 20ft gap jump up there, couple good road gaps, and jumps pretty much everywhere. It is still a little loose, but I was bombing down with no trouble.

This could be the next showshoe. it isn't yet, but for western north carolina, this place is rockin! The cost of the lift is $24 for the whole day. Well worth it.

They do not have much for concessions up there so bring a cooler with water and some snacks. They ahve a nice gas station with coffee and things like that just off exit three (about 10 minutes down the mountain). But other than that, you won't find much on top of the mountain.

If you like freeride and downhill, this is worth the trip. Business is picking up. I think they just needed to get a website up. For my part. We were questioning if the place really exists. Well, after 2.5 hours of driving from Charlotte, I am happy to report that the park exists, is open, and if you've got a big bike, is well worth the trip!

jondog

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
G-Vegas
I think that you are right about the limited "marketing" but the word is getting out there....TELL EVERYONE!!

Unfortunately word of mouth is the biggest way for people to find out about the park, right now at least. They are working on getting a website up now, so that will help I think.

Great review though, Ill be going up with Crazy Legs on Friday, along with one more from here in Greenville.

May 5, 2008
I will be heading up on Friday for my first visit since opening day. I made some comments about 26 after riding that first day so I will do a follow up to see what has changed since early June.

Crazylegs and Jondog have mentioned they have opened a few more features such as another gap jump so we'll see.

jondog

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
G-Vegas
I will be heading up on Friday for my first visit since opening day. I made some comments about 26 after riding that first day so I will do a follow up to see what has changed since early June.

Crazylegs and Jondog have mentioned they have opened a few more features such as another gap jump so we'll see.

:biggrin:

Jun 4, 2008
Pisgah
If you prefer a hardtail,dont despair.There are only a couple of features that might be sketch on a jump bike.I rode an SX trail there and felt like I had way too much bike.Next time I go Im taking my P3. Lots o fun.

jondog

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
G-Vegas
If you prefer a hardtail,dont despair.There are only a couple of features that might be sketch on a jump bike.I rode an SX trail there and felt like I had way too much bike.Next time I go Im taking my P3. Lots o fun.
Oh yeah, I'm thinking about taking my hardtail too! I think it would be great.

tvanderkamp

Chimp
Jul 19, 2008
The interesting thing is that here on Ridmonkey they had 10,000 people look at the opening thread for a lift assisted bike park but not that many people have shown up so far. I think the bottom line is that they just need to get out there and cut trails as fast as they can. If you look at Snowshoe or Killington Vermont and check out thier trail maps, they have 20-30 total optios of trails to ride. None of them are very far apart and all of them start basically at the same place, but there are a lot of choices. 26 West definitely has the elevation change to make some great freeride options. They just need to keep cutting a little every day and they will have a great place to ride!
I think that you are right about the limited "marketing" but the word is getting out there....TELL EVERYONE!!

Unfortunately word of mouth is the biggest way for people to find out about the park, right now at least. They are working on getting a website up now, so that will help I think.

Great review though, Ill be going up with Crazy Legs on Friday, along with one more from here in Greenville.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
you do realize "10,000" is not a number of individuals..it's just how many times all of us have clicked on the thread in a matter of 5 months time...maybe 150+ people total. nothing negative about the park...just a little skewing of a number there. :D

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Joe and I went up to 26 West this past Sunday. We got there late around 1:30pm after trying to find one bolt to fix his M1 that morning. We rode till 4PM and easily got in about 8 runs. A full day I think you can get in about 18+ runs. So my take on things have changed sense this last visit up there. We had a lot of fun ripping up the 350ft of elevation that is currently cut. There are about 4 full different runs from the top. Village DH still needs some work up top on the jumps, but the rest of it has bedded in well. Ryan has added a few little doubles on the lower half after the big Table top jump. The Moon Dust was the worst on that trail because it's ridden the most. I wished I had my Flats because of it!!!!! Super fun drifting all the way down. We did about 3 runs down it. The other newer trail was the one above Face Brake. Don’t know the name of it, but it was the best trail there. Good mix of everything. It ends right before the Chair lift over the bridge drop onto the slope. We rode it 3 times. Ryan has been working hard to try to keep things up to par for everyone he has been catering to. All in all there were about 20+ riders yesterday with a mix of DHers and Fathers and sons riding down together (Different Bikes). I can’t wait to do the same with my son one day.

The DH race will be on Oct 11th and will start on the Village DH run all the way down to the parking lot then drop down to the lower village about another 600+ ft of elevation. Ryan plans to start on that next after finishing up a few little things needed on the open runs now.

I think this can turn into something better for us all in the long run, if we keep supporting what he is trying to do up there. He still and will always need help getting Trail impute and bodys to help build more trails. Best thing we all can do is give up one Sat or Sunday of your riding time and drive up with some friends and help out. He will reward you for doing so. Lots of parks open up really don’t grow that much the first year or two due to not enough or quality trails. You have a chance to change that and help this park grow faster than most. I do plan myself to go up for a Work and Ride Weekend soon. I hope you will do the same!!!!

Cecil:cheers:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Sounds like the word still needs to get out. I was on the lift at snowshoe this weekend with two guys from just outside spartanburg that havent even heard of it.

Last edited:

mpvanger

Chimp
Jul 23, 2008
My girlfriend and I made the drive up from Birmingham this past weekend to ride on Saturday. We woke up to a bit of a drizzle, but arrived around 10:30. We were the first two on the trails, and had the place to ourselves for awhile. The dirt was a bit slick for the first hour or so, but things dried up as the day went on. Lift and shuttle services ran smoothly and we had a blast, props to the group of guys running things this weekend. I definitely recommend making the trip, and helping do some trail maintenance if you're close enough. A little more trailwork shoring up some of the benchcuts, and it'll be golden. Check it out.

tvanderkamp

Chimp
Jul 19, 2008
I totally agree with needing to get the word out. I know a lot of hte guys from freeride south (Florida/Georgia) were interested in coming up, but when we read through the initial entries, we were not sure if the place was even real. Nobody believed it until a video clip finally showed up of the place. But by then the open date had been delayed several times becuase of rain.

So it would help I think if they sent some of the fliers they made up to every bike shop within a couple hundred miles. At least Virginia, Georgia, Tennesee, and Florida. It is a close enough trip for all those states.

I just don't want this to ever go away. I have just relocated to Charlotte and most of the riding that i've found is cross country. I preferr not to pedal any more than i have to so I'm really stoked about having 26 West being so close.

tvanderkamp

Chimp
Jul 19, 2008
It does have a few loose rock gardens on the side where the FaceBreak trail is. There is plenty of room for big travel bikes if you are really moving fast, and if you have a smaller bike you can pick your way through things I suppose. I've seen a couple guys up there on a Giant Faith, one VP-Free, several transition freeride machines, and I rode my SX trail. Lots of fun for hitting the road gaps and table tops with a lot of speed. I'm sure there are guys that will go out there on thier jump bikes, but I had plenty of fun on my big bike.
does this place have rock gardens? good for an intense m3?

tvanderkamp

Chimp
Jul 19, 2008
No, I didn't know that. I thought it was 10k original visitors....wishful thinking I guess. The more money they generate, the bigger the park will get. It would be nice if they get the lower 600ft open even if it is just one or two trails. I know Ryan said it is in the plan for next year. I will try to get up there several weekends toward the end of August and mid-september to help cut in the bench a little better on some of the trials. I've been traveling for work a lot, but that is slowing down now so I can get up there and help. I'd also like to talk to Ryan about changing the elevation on the three board ramps so you don't have such a short run once you hit the top of the little ramp. It slows you down and then you don't have enough room for at least one pedal stroke. And I saw a few spots that we could add some other nice board drops onto steeper transitions. We'll see what we can do!
you do realize "10,000" is not a number of individuals..it's just how many times all of us have clicked on the thread in a matter of 5 months time...maybe 150+ people total. nothing negative about the park...just a little skewing of a number there. :D

payjota

Chimp
May 28, 2008
contact billing department

What's the deal did they go out of business?

Last edited:

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
I talked to Ryan 2weeks ago and said that he is planning to open this year. He let the web go to save $ over the winter.