Quantcast

26 West July 25th Review

May 5, 2008
I haven’t visited 26West since opening day so here is my follow up review from last Friday July 25. Let me preface by saying that I am not a great rider or DH racer. I love to ride and have ridden several bike parks. These are my opinions feel free to disagree…

GENERAL
Ryan is working hard to create a cool place to ride and ultimately a business for himself. I am really appreciative of his foresight and initiative. In general, the park has great potential (everyone seems to agree on that). I would mention that there needs to be a focus on the customer base. Opening day was horrible. My second visit I again had to wait a half hour before our first ride because the shuttle truck was sent on an errand. Little thing…but it frustrated me as a customer. The shuttling with the six of us who were there worked well for the remainder of the day. There was a time later in the afternoon where again we had to wait for the truck because it was being used for something else.

I don’t get all the little doubles everywhere. They seem to interrupt the flow rather than be a fun feature. These could be my preference, but take them out make the trail flow then add jumps at appropriate places.

TRAILS
Village DH---is running so much smoother than opening day. I think the tables at the top make no sense. I know there are riders who can possibly hit all of them. My question is: “Why make it so hard?” The table after the steep downhill is really fun!!
Yo-B---Not my favorite. The new end section that comes out on the wooden ladders at the bottom is fun and technical. One of the guys I ride with mentioned making that ladder thing at the bottom into a nice drop. The berm into the table I don’t understand. Again, why make it hard so hard? This is an intermediate trail. You have a 180 degree berm into a table that some advanced riders can’t do.
EZ Does It---Works for the beginners.
Facebreak---Definitely not dialed yet. I don’t understand the top. Are they going to be gaps?? The step down at the end will be fun if it can get worked in.
Park Connector---Best trail. Short trail. Best flow. Step down is fun. Move the tables to after the berm and you have a wonderful trail that could connect back to the Village DH or to the road gap.

FEATURES
Road Gap---intimidated me at first. Once I hit it, what a fun jump! Butter smooth landing. It would be great to have tables after the gap. What a flow you could have if there were tables after the Connector step down and tables after the road gap. There is your signature 26West Trail!!!!!
Progression Drops---I like drops. These are good for learning, but there needs to be an advanced option.
Hip/Step Up---I don’t know how to hip yet, but the step up is fun.