Quantcast

26 West this weekend?

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Hey everyone. My brother and I decided a few weeks back that we wanted to check out 26 West this Saturday. All was well until this weather system popped up.

There is supposed to be light showers the night before and I was wondering how this will effect the slopes. I will of course check the weather tomorrow afternoon but as of now what's the word.

Also I tried to get directions from their site but the link it is sending me to is being labelled as an attack site (I have never had my browser do this before) So I don't want to go to it. I will be coming from the Charleston SC area. Can someone tell me an address to punch into google maps or just give me some good directions.

Thanks guys and gals.

ShawnB

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
I would check with Ryan to see if the lift is running. Last weekend it wasn't. You can still shuttle, but....

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
How can I get ahold of Ryan? Why wasn't it running last weekend? I heard from somewhere that they may shut down without more rider support, did we decide to show ours to late.

If W26 is out then we will just hit up Clemson but if it is still up and running we would love to see what is going on there.

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
26 West is still running, Ryan was at the Paris MTN Race. He parked beside us and told us to come on up. They are going to open up the the DH race course this Sunday. Has far as I know they are having good turn outs, and the Grand Opening went off great. NC State DH Championship is there on OCt. 18. We are thinking about going up on Sunday.

ShawnB

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
The lift was out due to some inspection error. Turnout has been good and Ryan is working his butt off and it shows. I wish I could try the new trail this weekend. I'll have to wait until next weekend. Don't forget to try the ladder step-down thing in the park area.

Basher

Monkey
May 8, 2007
Hicktown, NC
Was wanting to get out there Sunday and check out the lower trail. But gotta go the Greensboro Fri. and come back Sunday so don't think I'm gonna make it. Next weekend is Wind Rock but maybe we can work it out to stay around Ashville and ride 26W sunday. We'll see about that though. BTW the lader drop/step down thingy is a hoot. Props to builder. And I wouldn't worry about a little rain the night before. If it's snotty in the AM should be tacky by PM.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Asheville, and many western North Carolina counties are running/recieving very limited supplies of gasoline, due to IKE and GUSTAV. Colonial Pipeline which supplies the area is running at limited capacity...So if you can find a station with gas be prepared to wait in line for awhile (45min+), and be allowed minimal purchase. When stations here do get a delivery, they usually run out in several hours. I saw a BP this morning with at least 100 cars waiting in line to fuel up...It's pretty sad.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Asheville, ...It's pretty sad.
WOW are you serious. That is bad stuff. I will definitely carry a couple gallons up with me.

Hey how is the weather looking up there? Do you guys think tomorrow would still be worth the 3+ hour drive?

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I was thinking it was a little over 3 hours but it is more like 4. Damn I am going to be driving a long ways tomorrow. There and back phew. Hope it is worth it.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I was thinking it was a little over 3 hours but it is more like 4. Damn I am going to be driving a long ways tomorrow. There and back phew. Hope it is worth it.
It would be a REALLY good idea to call Ryan before you drive up to make sure everything is running normal. As mentioned before, the lifts weren't running last weekend they were shuttling people. I don't know how they'll be able to do that with no gas.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I just talked to him and they are up and running tomorrow. Phew I was in the process of getting directions together for Clemson.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Just got a call from Ryan and he said the rain did the trails a lot of good. They should be great Sunday!!!! He will have another truck to run shuttles from the very bottom, yes the new trail to the lower Village is open. The gas station right off the exit does have gas. Well right now they do!!!! See you all Sunday if you make it up!!!

Cecil

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
Did not get any pics, but there was some cat up there(profess/ Photgrapher) getting some cool pics of everyone. There was around 25 riders ther today. Ryan and the crew have done one HELL of a job up there. 26 West so so fun and has alot of to offer for all levels. This afternoon, the Village DH trail was flowing and fast. Go give them your support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
The new section at the bottom of the hill great. Lots of loam with steep turns that had good ruts shaping up. Steep but not as steep as the Brevard course. Lots of off chamber in between turns. Should be good come race day with lots of nasty roots showing up in the off chamber. If ryan puts in jumps in the fire road into the steep section then entrance speed should be fast. Overall with the new bottom section and the village dh trail at the top the overall race course should have a good mix of everything. Im stoked and cant wait for the race.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Man the place was a blast on Saturday. Great job to Ryan, Ben, and the rest of the guys! My brother and I rode the new DH course a few times and had a blast. I ended up loosing my derailleur hanger on one run but did coaster runs after that. Honestly I preferred the coaster runs for some reason.
I ended up hurting my ribs pretty bad after about my 3rd run down which I regret due to being held back for the rest of the riding day but it was probably for the best. I was getting brave quick.
Anyway I just want to say GREAT JOB guys.

Oh and carry cash for your tickets just in case.

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
Holy crap I've been waiting on this shot. Looks like your were trying a Kiss of Death...I thought you really got hurt, glad you didn't, and your right 26 West is a blast!!!!!!!