Quantcast

29'er frame sizing...

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I'm thinking about venturing into the world of a 29" bike, probably a SS hardtail. I'm considering the kona unit 2-9... I'm 6'0" and I'm thinking a 19" frame would be a good fit. Kona seems pretty uniform with their sizing, and I had a 19" stinky a while back and while it was a little roomier then I like a freeride bike to be I think that particular sizing would be nice on an XC bike.

So what experiences have you all had with frame sizing on 29" hardtails? Is it pretty comparable to standard 26" sizes?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
For Kona's I'd say try an 18 and a 19 back to back if you can. I'd go by Effective Top Tube length though. So try and get as close as you can to what your 26er is if that is a comfortable fit for you.

Mark

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Well.... After some more research and test rides I ended up with a 17" Redline Monocog 29er. The frame sizes on 29" bikes are definitely a bit different, I'd say they run big but I only got to look at a few brands.

Either way I'm stoked on my new bike and I can't wait to get out for a real ride.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
17"? thats pretty little for a six footer. Must feel agile.

When I first saw it was a 17 I thought the same.

The top tube slopes down quite a bit on the 17 giving it a relatively short seattube, but the ETT ended up being right around 23.5"..... which is more or less exactly what I wanted.

The only changes I've had to make on the bike:

-Salsa QR seat post clamp, for obvious reasons.
-Crank Bros pedals, single speed on long climbs with flat pedals sucks.
-Custom beer cap bar ends, the stock ones sucked.

Pic before the last two changes. I'm still stoked to find a stock bike I don't have to make any major changes to....