Quantcast

29'ers and the larger mammal

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
So I think the bug has bitten me. I found a smoking good deal on an Obed 29'er frame, which would let me build out a hard tail (the one missing link from my stable) in a way that I want with a great frame to start.

However, at 220#, I worry about the wheels. I am not exactly light as a feather, and I tend to hammer kind of hard. However, I do get at least four seasons out of a wheel set barring major accidents. Hell, the set on my XC dual suspension has lasted 8 years now.

Any thoughts on the wheels/forks/frame not being able to hold up?

I was thinking this for a build:
- Medium Obed 29'er
- Chris King 20mm front, fun bolt rear hubs
- Mavic TN 719 Disc rims
- White Bros Fluid-29 110 20mm TA fork
- Saint cranks/shifter/rear/front derailure
- Shimano XT disc brakes.
- WTB Prowler SL 29Er tires
- Thomson X4 stem/seat post
- Terry seat.

Think this build would be large mammal resistant?

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
are the wheels already built? Or were you just planning on using mavic rims? I haven't had any trail time on them but have first hand experience that stan's flow rims are fantastic with my fat ass. Never a hiccup.

also, the WB fork? is this something you already have or were you just planning on using on the build? Personally, I'm a rock shox fan and whether you use the qr or 20mm either would work fine for ya. I just hear too many of their forks going back in for service and I believe the rock shox is cheaper if bought new.

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
My $.02 from a heavier mammal:

Skip the Mavic rims and get the Flow. I have't killed the 26 or 29 version yet.

Skip the Saint stuff. XT is plenty sturdy and a lot less weight.

Go with the Reba thru-axle fork. It's a lot more tunable.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I have has a set of the White Bros but in 26inch. I am in the UK and its hard to get them serviced but thought what the hell and got them anyhow. They have lasted longer than my last two sets of FOX did so far. I did send them off after a year for a service just to be on the safe side, though they work working fine. I think its a lot to do with luck and how well you look after forks as to how long they last.

dsb1829

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
Huntsville, AL
SSinGA's recs are all decent. I rode a White Brothers last season. Prior to that I was on rockshox for about 3 years. The White doesn't have the whistles and bells (or knobs all over), but it does work quite well and comes stock with Enduro brand seals/wipers. With the new 20mm reba, I would probably go with that over the WB.

Saint is heavier. Unless you plan to freeride I see no advantage. I have run saint and XT cranks for the last 4 years. There is nothing I wouldn't do on a pair of XTs. All the saints get you is a bit of insurance and a pound more mass. The saint FD are designed for a slacker seat tube, verify that it is compatible with your frame.

I do like the saint hubs, but I am not a fan of being stuck with only their rotors (6in or 8in when I prefer 7in).

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I am bigger than you.. about 240 with gear.. i ride the manitou minute, crossmax 29er wheelset with out any problems at all. those wheels are amazing

lubes17319

Chimp
Apr 11, 2009
under the stairs
230# naked, imagine that!

-I hammer a set of Flows/Surly 36h (built by MikeC) & they stay straighter than me.
-Saint cranks: if I had money I'd replace those monsters w/XTs.