Quantcast

29ers are not the coolest new fad anymore...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
now there's a 36er...

Posted by RM member benwitt11 on http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=269746

benwitt11 said:
Hi guys. Here's a few teaser shots and some info on the 36er I've designed. I will be posting more in depth info after QBP's Frostbike this weekend. Enjoy!

Wheelbase: 46 inches.
Weight: 36 lbs, (with full Surly flask and holder!)
Chainstay length: 520 mm
Drivetrain: 3 X 6, 20-90 gear inches
Standover height: 30.5 inches
Top tube length: 24.5 inches

Pic #1: A line up of 26", 29", and 36" wheels featuring the local Titus rep.
Pic #2: Photo of the bike next to an 18" Salsa El Mariachi for size comparison.

My first impressions, it's more fun than I possibly imagined!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
These things have been available for years in cruiser form...

I don't think the 36" wheels would handle some of the tight switchbacks we have around here very well. The twenty niners already make the corners more difficult than my twenty sixers, but then again, it's more of a challenge, so it's all good.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I bet it would make for one helluva nice commuter bike and I applaud the effort. But for tight twisty trails - not so good.

I dig how it looks like a mountain bike though - rather than a cruiser or beach type of bike.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I bet it would make for one helluva nice commuter bike and I applaud the effort. But for tight twisty trails - not so good.

I dig how it looks like a mountain bike though - rather than a cruiser or beach type of bike.
simply pop a 29er wheel on the rear for uber flickability!!!!

:p

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
To make sure the universal average wheel diameter for off road bicycles stays at 26", I'm going to switch back to 16" wheels.

Oh, wait, I already have...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
simply pop a 29er wheel on the rear for uber flickability!!!!

:p
I don't think any bike, no matter the wheel size, that has 21" chainstays will be very flickable.

I wonder if you have to really countersteer it like a motorcycle?

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
I bet it would make for one helluva nice commuter bike and I applaud the effort. But for tight twisty trails - not so good..
Excactly! A friend of mine in Munich uses his dayly to commute with. At the time he had to get everything custom made including the tires! All he wanted was to be "above the cars" so they can see him ;)

Haha I even found an old pic... Showing that he is indeed higher than some cars (at least higher than his old lambo ;))

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
36er is a 29er???
You gotta know your audience... those who care about something like this are more likely to be in the road, um I meant 29er forum. And you're the one who made the connection to 29ers (in your thread title).

That and it's a repost...