Quantcast

29'r Tire Test

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I got a set of these from CST for testing in the southern red clay hardpack, loose sand and extreme rocky terrain we have here in Northern Alabama and thought I'd share with ya'll. If you don't know, CST is Cheng Shin Tire, the parent company of Maxxis. They are intended to be a "value" line of tires.

They are on the heavy side at 865g each but these are the wire bead model. Their PRO line of tires, I believe, have a aramid folding bead. Hopefully when these come to market the folding bead will be an option. These mounted on to my Flow rims quite easily, needing only a little nudge from a tire lever and no soapy water. I filled them up with 2 scoops of Stan's spooge and hit them with the compressor. They popped right into place and have been holding air well over the last 2 weeks.

They measure just a little on the small side of their stated 2.25" size at 30psi on the Flows. I got measurements of 2.11" at the casing and 2.21" at the widest tread point.

I've ridden them on my SS and the Sultan over the last 2 weeks with positive results. Traction is great with good rolling (way better than a Nevegal). No issue with climbing loose hills or with braking control. The smallish knobs cut right through all the leaf litter on our trails and have kept me upright. I hit some super-chunk DH sections with some small drops and they never even wimpered. So far they are burp free as well.

Overall it is a great option to all the $40+ tires out there (guessing that it will go for $25 or less) especially with our current economy. They offer good, solid performance in the handling department and I'll be riding these on the Sultan for a good while longer to test the longevity and durability.

I also have a few rides on the smaller and currently available 29'r Critter 2.1 tire from CST. Same performance in a smaller package. It will be living on the rear of my SS since the Jabber has limited tire clearance.

(pics courtesy of cruzthepug)

Last edited:

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for the review and heads up! I'll probably stick with the Rampage up front, but the Critter might be a less expensive alternative to the Nano for the rear (my Retrotec's chainstays are narrower than my wife's 1st-gen. Bandersnatch). More durable sidewalls would be good, too! So where to find CST tires? I don't see them in the QBP or BTI listings.
- Joe

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I've been told that J&B Importers carries the entire line. The Critter is the only 29'r available now until the Cabellaro hits later this year.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
If you were looking for a Critter or Caballero right away, I imagine either Larry Mettler at MtnHighCyclery. com or Chad at Redbarn could order you one for a fair price. Might be worth a phone call; neither of them do on-line ordering, but they've both got a well-deserved good reputation for service.
- Joe