Quantcast

2pc. & 1 pc. cranks???

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Yeah, you guys all know I am a noob & suck (at BMX anyways) so I am unashamed to ask stupid questions, even though you may be sick of my lame posts.

Here is the question.....
What is the difference between 1 pc. & 2 pc. cranks? I know about 3 pc. & I know that is what I am saving for, but I dont know what is on my bike right now.

Thanks for humoring me.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
One piece is pretty self-explanatory. They're all cast as one piece. And they suck.

Two piece is pretty straight-forward as well. Basically, the spindle and one crank arm are cast as a single piece, and the other crank arm bolts on to the end. The only advantage to this is that you don't have to wind the arm through your BB shell when you put 'em on. They're weak as well.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Originally posted by RandomV
One piece is pretty self-explanatory. They're all cast as one piece. And they suck.

Two piece is pretty straight-forward as well. Basically, the spindle and one crank arm are cast as a single piece, and the other crank arm bolts on to the end. The only advantage to this is that you don't have to wind the arm through your BB shell when you put 'em on. They're weak as well.
that is it, exactly, right on the dime, correct-o-moondo, yup, mmm hmm

not all two peice are weak, or crappy, or have to be installed in that manner, I had bullseye Ti two peice cranks for years....
they were and still are the best crankset I have EVER owned, and I have owned all of the major 3pc, redline, profile etc.
I am not trying to be a stickler.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Originally posted by shootr
not all two peice are weak, or crappy, or have to be installed in that manner, I had bullseye Ti two peice cranks for years....
they were and still are the best crankset I have EVER owned, and I have owned all of the major 3pc, redline, profile etc.
I am not trying to be a stickler.
Yeah. Shimano even brought back the two piece design, so it must not be that crappy :p.

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Originally posted by SwisSlesS
Yeah. Shimano even brought back the two piece design, so it must not be that crappy :p.
Damn kid beat me to it. Yeah all of Shimano's new '04 stuff (or what iv'e seen of it anyways) is two-piece cranks....they start off as three-pieces but then the spindle is bonded into the drive-side arm (or is it non-drive side?)

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Right. And you see lots of BMX'ers running shimano cranks.

:p

(insert various smileys that indicate how much I'm kidding here.)